to ask how I add 's' on to my sons name.

(57 Posts)
Junosmum Wed 20-Jan-16 20:51:31

I have a 2 week old son. I'm writing thank you notes for all the generous gifts he has received. So I started writing "thank you so much for Rufus's presents" but in a moment of sleep deprived/ post labor fog I cannot for the life of me work out if it's Rufus' or Rufus's. So I've changed to writing something else however I really should know this!

Please help me out!

nutellacrumpet Wed 20-Jan-16 20:52:24

Either I think smile

HarrietVane99 Wed 20-Jan-16 20:53:56

Either is correct. Strictly it's Rufus's, but because the s's looks and sounds awkward, the second one is dropped to make Rufus'.

Throwingshade Wed 20-Jan-16 20:54:59

Yep either is fine, congratulations by the way smile

SaucyJack Wed 20-Jan-16 20:55:05

Thank you so much for the presents you gave Rufus wink

BertrandRussell Wed 20-Jan-16 20:55:28

Rufus'

Or "Rufus says thank you for the lovely present"

Or, less twee "thank you for the lovely present you sent Rufus"

CakeFail Wed 20-Jan-16 20:56:02

Oh I don't know but I would probably say Rufus'. I think when people exclaim "in Jesus' name" it's not "in Jesus's name" and it's the same last two letters. That's what makes me think that.

Love the name Rufus btw. Congratulations! flowers

lilydaisyrose Wed 20-Jan-16 20:57:04

I have an Angus so always struggle with this too!

Twooter Wed 20-Jan-16 20:57:43

Had similar problemwithJess. Jess's is just too many s

Brainwashed Wed 20-Jan-16 20:58:04

Rufus is a great name ☺

Hihohoho1 Wed 20-Jan-16 20:58:08

In awe you are able up function enough to write letters with a new baby op. grin

Love the name smile

Holidayrash Wed 20-Jan-16 20:58:13

I thought ' no s for biblical characters and 's for everyone else.

fastdaytears Wed 20-Jan-16 20:59:03

Think it's technically something to do with the number of syllables but in reality it's personal choice and you need to decide one way or the other and stick to it!

I think it looks nice either way. Lovely name.

CakeFail Wed 20-Jan-16 20:59:09

Ooooooh is that what it is holiday? Didn't know that.

HoggleHoggle Wed 20-Jan-16 20:59:36

It's rufus's.

The 's indicates possession, which is the correct thing in your case. You only write Rufus' if you want to indicate both a plural AND possession - as in 'all cars' headlights must be on at night' for instance. As its your son's name as a singular entity rather than a word ending in 's' as a plural, you should use 's.

Not sure if any of that made sense...I haven't slept much this week.

Congratulations!

SushiAndTheBanshees Wed 20-Jan-16 21:00:04

It's Rufus's technically, as Rufus' is used when there are two or more Rufuses. But both are deemed acceptable these days.

Nice name btw!

fastdaytears Wed 20-Jan-16 21:01:56

A competing rule has it that names consisting of one syllable always take an apostrophe s (Burns’s), whereas those of more than one syllable take only the apostrophe (Dickens’). Cutting across these practices is the notion that certain time-honoured names ending in s (particularly from biblical and classical sources) take only the apostrophe, whatever their length or pronunciation (Jesus’, Herodotus’).

zoobaby Wed 20-Jan-16 21:03:02

Arr you handwriting these notes? Drop the second s and your fingers will thank you smile

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Jan-16 21:03:05

I am with the 'thank you for the beautiful thing you sent rufus'

Can't be wrong then!

I would have gone for rufus' thing.

fastdaytears Wed 20-Jan-16 21:03:20

Sushi wow I did not know that! I'd have gone Rufuses if I had to refer to multiple but that looks crazy written down!

SanityClause Wed 20-Jan-16 21:05:37

Either is correct, but I prefer Rufus's.

You could always say, "Thank you for the lovely presents that you gave to Rufus", and dodge the whole thing.

Squashybanana Wed 20-Jan-16 21:05:38

I was taught the rule is

Single syllable names ending in s you can use 's if you want:

James's birthday

Fred Hughes's boat

More than one syllable you should drop the extra s because it looks messy

Rufus' birthday

Mick Thomas' boat

Quodlibet Wed 20-Jan-16 21:06:25

Surely the plural of Rufus is Rufii?

Quodlibet Wed 20-Jan-16 21:06:44

(Just joshing, it's a great name OP)

fastdaytears Wed 20-Jan-16 21:08:44

As an aside, every Rufus I have known (to be fair that's 3 I think) has been super cool. Is there something about the name? I love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now