To ask new landlord to change wallpaper?

(23 Posts)
thehillshaveyes Tue 19-Jan-16 20:28:45

if I can change the awful wallpaper in the house I'm moving into soon? There's a feature wall in almost every room with black and white floral paper, including 1 year old dd's room.

I don't want to seem rude as soon as I love in!

thehillshaveyes Tue 19-Jan-16 20:29:40

Changed the title after I typed the post. Excuse the muddled sentences!

rosewithoutthorns Tue 19-Jan-16 20:31:11

No you can't ask the landlord to do this.

HopeandSoap Tue 19-Jan-16 20:32:14

No sorry you can't!

rosewithoutthorns Tue 19-Jan-16 20:32:35

Well I guess you can ask but don't think you're going to get grin

emsyj Tue 19-Jan-16 20:32:56

It's fine to ask if you can do it yourself. I'm a landlord and I don't mind my tenants decorating to suit their own tastes. I wouldn't change decor at my expense unless it was necessary e.g. due to wear and tear.

thehillshaveyes Tue 19-Jan-16 20:33:39

Oops I meant can I ask permission to change the wallpaper myself, not to ask him to do it for me!

Severe lack of sleep due to teething dd. Forgive me grin

flyingmonks Tue 19-Jan-16 20:34:33

You take it in the condition you viewed it. Nothing to stop you offering to pay for the cost of changing it though, or offering to do it yourself at your own cost and the landlord would have to approve the new paper.

Vedamakesthebesttoast Tue 19-Jan-16 20:35:30

You can always ask but, have you had signed the lease yet? If you have there's probably clauses in it already that cover redo oration. Read through your copy so at least when you're asking you know what you agreed to in the first place. It may well be that it says it's fine if you ask first and its agreed but you'll have to put it back to the original when your tenancy comes to an end. You never know though your LL might think it's ghastly and be delighted you want to change it! Just make sure you check!!

Vedamakesthebesttoast Tue 19-Jan-16 20:36:08

X posts with flying monks. Please of course it would be at your expense

NeedACleverNN Tue 19-Jan-16 20:36:54

You can ask but not argue if he says no.

The house we are in at the moment is brilliant.

We can decorate as we like and have as many animals as possible.

Other places have not been so flexible and we have had to ask permission to even put nails in the walls for pictures

Whatdoidohelp Tue 19-Jan-16 20:36:58

He still might say no. If you make a right dogs ear of it it will be at his cost to fix it before there next tenant came in.

holeinmyheart Tue 19-Jan-16 20:38:36

I think you could ask the landlord to change it to something less difficult to match furniture etc. It would have to be at your expense.
But as a Landlord I would need to see what you intend. Your Landlord might not like your choices.
So be diplomatic. Stress that you will stay for a long time and that you will change it at your expense and that it will be done to a good standard.

I only allowed one person to paint their room and they got the paint all over the polished wood floor and on the curtains. Obviously I was then reluctant to allow anyone else to do it.
Same with pets. Once you have seen the damage some tenants allow their cats, dogs and rodents to do, it is no wonder that no animals are allowed.

holeinmyheart Tue 19-Jan-16 20:40:31

As a landlord I had a tenant who drove 45 nails into the walls, that is why a ' no nails in the walls' clause became part of my lease.
There is always two sides to every story.

CraftyMissus Tue 19-Jan-16 20:40:31

You'll probably have to pay for it, but no harm in asking.

We asked our landlord the day we moved in and his wife thought we must hate the decor. Ended up apologising and explaining we hope to be in the house a while and would like to be able to keep it looking as nice.

Once they heard that we got permission to do whatever we wanted to the place.

MidniteScribbler Tue 19-Jan-16 20:45:16

I have no problems with changes, but I must approve them, and they need to be done by a professional. I've seen the mess some people make when they attempt DIY.

I also have a no nails policy. The 3M Hooks work really well, there's no need to make holes in the wall.

MotherofFlagons Tue 19-Jan-16 20:48:17

It's worth asking, but don't be surprised if they refuse.

My tenant asked to put up wallpaper on one wall and I said yes, as long as it was returned to the state it was let in (plain white walls). Given they're long term tenants and it's their home, I was fine with it.

I rented for 15 years before buying and well remember having to put up with magnolia and fucking wallpaper borders everywhere because the landlords wouldn't allow me to paint. In one flat, they'd let a previous tenant paint the whole thing pink (and the carpets were pale green) but refused to allow me to paint over it.

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Tue 19-Jan-16 20:49:43

You may be allowed to decorate but may also be obliged to return it to the state it was in at the end of the tenancy. Ask & see what the LL says. If you can't live with the decor, don't sign the lease!

SevenOfNineTrue Tue 19-Jan-16 21:00:06

They won't do it. Take another place if you hate it that much.

universallyhated Tue 19-Jan-16 21:05:04

You can ask if you can do it yourself, our (present and past) landlords have always agreed. In theory than can ask for it to be put back as it was when we took over the property but we've never been asked to do that.

thehillshaveyes Tue 19-Jan-16 21:05:10

Well when I viewed the house the agent said that the landlord didn't mind me decorating as long as I keep it neutral. The wallpaper up at the moment is far from neutral! It's mainly the feature wall in the living room and dd's room that bothers me. Apparently he's away in the army and it was the house him and his ex wife shared. I'm assuming it was her taste.

emsyj Tue 19-Jan-16 21:18:37

It might be a previous tenant. I had a tenant who put up hideous black flocked wallpaper on 'feature walls' in my house. The next tenant quickly changed it when they moved in tho! grin

I have carpeted rooms that were previously stripped wood floorboards at a tenant's request - I thought it was a reasonable request as they had a baby and planned to stay long term. The letting agents thought we were mad to do it but it looked better and the tenants are excellent and keep the place immaculate, so everyone's happy.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 20-Jan-16 11:47:46

There's no harm in asking.

We asked for permission to paint ds' pink bedroom white when we moved in and the landlord was fine with it. Probably did them a favour to make it more neutral tbh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now