To want to know what private medical insurance you use?

(21 Posts)
startingallover Tue 19-Jan-16 14:02:04

I'm swamped. Mumsnet have helped me to realise the error of my ways. No more spending £650 every month. I've spent five hours this morning on the phone to Bupa, Vitality Health, April Care, AXA, Aviva. My head's going round on circles. Now I know why I've avoided this for 20 years.

AIBU to just want to book the one you've got and are really happy with!!!! It's a minefield!!!!

LineyReborn Tue 19-Jan-16 14:20:23

OP, is it that you are anxious about getting certain conditions such as cancer? (If I remember your thread correctly.)

Tbh I would have a private 'health MOT' every couple of years if you feel you have risk factors and need extra reassurance, take advantage of all available NHS screening programmes, and use your NHS GP-led health centre to full advantage for things like 'well woman clinics'.

BrokenVag Tue 19-Jan-16 14:27:49

WPA for us.

Allisgood1 Tue 19-Jan-16 14:32:35

BUPA. We pay around £275 per month for 5 of us. This is with very ok excess (£150/year) plus extras like Physio (£500 per year). We 100% get our money worth. Like the time dd broke her arm and the NHS gave us a cast appointment in 4 weeks time. Or the time I was heavily bleeding with a miscarriage and the NHS told me I had "wait until Monday" (my gynae told me I would have hemorrhaged that night). Invaluable.

FluffyPersian Tue 19-Jan-16 14:32:45

I go with BUPA and for me, it's £75 a month for everything, including access to London Hospitals. It used to be £55 last year, however I claimed £1.5K for wisdom teeth removal under general anaesthetic, so it's gone up this year.

You've mentioned BUPA already , so I imagine it's not been a favourable quote? It's a shame, as I've found BUPA really, really good - I made a claim only 6 weeks after I joined (totally legitimate, I went to the dentists due to pain and she told me I should have them removed) They accepted the claim, sorted things out and the care I had was fantastic.

For me, it's been amazing as I feel more in 'control' over things - Where I go, what time etc... I seem to have more choices and as I have massive trust issues over medical professionals, it works for me.

Schrodingersmum Tue 19-Jan-16 14:57:03

Have used Bupa in the past but using Axa presently who have been more helpful in our case

Almostfifty Tue 19-Jan-16 15:44:44

We're with BUPA. Always very good and helpful too.

KitKatCustard Tue 19-Jan-16 15:59:42

Benenden.
It's not the same as BUPA etc but has been brilliant for us. And costs £8.45 per person per month.

TriJo Tue 19-Jan-16 16:38:23

Have AXA through work - not much to complain about, they were very quick to authorise things when I needed them (breast ultrasound after suspected fibroadenoma spotted at a check-up etc).

KilburnOriginal Tue 19-Jan-16 16:40:08

Both mine and DH's private medical are through our employers. Mine is with Vitality (and includes our son), DH's is with BUPA. I have never claimed but DH had an op last year and it was handled very well and he needs another op this year, so our experience with BUPA has been good.

startingallover Tue 19-Jan-16 16:42:56

Oh no!! Please don't tell me how wonderful Bupa are. They're the company I need to change from!! I'm looking at April Health and Vitality Health. The reviews on all private medical insurance companies are dire!

Wineandpopcorn Tue 19-Jan-16 16:45:58

AXA PPP here, they are brilliant smile

frayedbuspass Tue 19-Jan-16 16:47:07

You might be well served by using an insurance broker. We were helped to switch companies and save money.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 19-Jan-16 16:49:13

I am currently with Aviva though in recent past have been with Axa. Both of them have been really good and a million times better and cheaper than BUPA who I was with a long time ago.

FuckyNell Tue 19-Jan-16 16:50:23

Bupa here had no probs

thecitydoc Tue 19-Jan-16 16:52:41

I use the NHS - it is brilliant and gives an excellent service, and is free at point of delivery!!

MrsSparkles Tue 19-Jan-16 17:00:11

Bupa now (through work), previously with Pru Vitality - excellent benefits but quite expensive I think! Never had do anything with Bupa, but Pru were great when DH dislocated his knee last year.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Tue 19-Jan-16 17:04:16

Bupa here too - I would be dead without it. Suffice it to say my experience of the NHS was the polar opposite of citydoc's. I pay 275 a month for DH and me. Would sell a kidney in order to keep it.

writingonthewall Tue 19-Jan-16 17:20:34

WPA or pruhealth. bupa are rubbish. They haven't increased what they pay to consultants in ten years so you're likely to have a surcharge on top of your excess. You can also only choose from their panel of consultants and some won't work for them as they pay so little.

writingonthewall Tue 19-Jan-16 17:21:10

Oh and health MOTS are a waste of time.

5Hearts Tue 19-Jan-16 17:36:19

AXA PPP - no complaints at all.

It is through DH's work and covers DH, me and DD. Think it is worth in the region of £150/mth (that could definitely be wrong though) and has a £150 annual excess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now