To have lost my temper

(33 Posts)
Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:22:25

I finished work earlier today, and just got two phone calls from a colleague asking where something was. First time I politely said I didn't know and perhaps to ask colleague X.

Then she rang back to say colleague X had said I moved it and where was it, I said I didn't remember and pointed out it was a few hours ago now, colleague makes me look through my pockets and just kept saying 'well it is not there it it not there' I said to ring out boss and she said well what can they do so I said well what do you want me to do and she just kept repeating I had it last!

WIBU to have shouted at her in the end?

weeblueberry Sat 16-Jan-16 21:23:41

How important was the thing you've supposedly misplaced?

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:24:21

Oh it's important, but if I don't know where it is, I don't know where it is.

Chillyegg Sat 16-Jan-16 21:24:26

Yabu if it was an essential work item and you've moved it and forgoten whare it's been moved then quite frankly I'd be annoyed at you.

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:24:59

But I don't think I have moved it!

YourLittlePlantPot Sat 16-Jan-16 21:25:07

Depends. If it was the key to the safe YABU. If it was the stapler YADNBU

Conundrumparpapumpum Sat 16-Jan-16 21:27:00

What on earth was so important that it was needed at this time of night? Medical?

It sounds extremely annoying and inconsiderate of this person, and you wnbu to give a firm and slightly terse 'there's nothing I can do and I have to get off the phone now' but I don't think it's ever acceptable to shout at a colleague.

Hope it hasn't stressed you out for the whole evening (it would me).

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:27:25

But when someone has asked and you do not know, but have said the likelihood is it is in the room where you were working and it wasn't taken out of that room, then why keep ringing, why not look for it!

weeblueberry Sat 16-Jan-16 21:27:55

Yeah as above. If someone else says you had it and she urgently needs it id want you to be absolutely sure you hadn't accidentally taken it home either.

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:28:08

I was more upset than shouty because the insinuation seemed to be I had deliberately moved it which I'm willing to concede was probably me being over sensitive.

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:28:47

Oh that's fine, I don't mind being asked 'could you check' but I do mind repeated saying the same thing and there's nothing I can do.

Gliblet Sat 16-Jan-16 21:28:54

Perhaps what your colleague wanted you to do was suggest some places it might have been put depending on what else you'd been doing? Did you at least have a really good think about whether you had it/where you might have put it? Not clear from your post, it looks a bit like your colleague might have felt fobbed off if you just said something along the lines of 'dunno, ain't got it'...

Gliblet Sat 16-Jan-16 21:29:30

Heh, cross posted!

lunar1 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:29:36

It depends if you're a nurse and the keys have gone missing!

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:30:20

All I said was we hadn't left X room and it would definitely be there somewhere.

Conundrumparpapumpum Sat 16-Jan-16 21:33:31

I think if you don't know then you don't know and colleague should have had a good look. Somebody else prob moved it, and it's not really fair on the op to make her feel totally responsible. I would stress about it til I was next in work. Don't expect they'll call to say they found it?

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:34:50

I almost don't care but it's got me all stressed and upset. Colleague didn't mean any real harm but she has one of those shrieky voices as well.

IguanaTail Sat 16-Jan-16 21:35:43

Yes - bit odd and unprofessional to lose your temper and shout/get upset I would think. But I don't know the ethos at your workplace and if it is normal to speak to colleagues like that.

Jibberjabberjooo Sat 16-Jan-16 21:38:04

It depends if you're a nurse and the keys have gone missing!

This is exactly what I was thinking!

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:38:59

I'm not a nurse.

Idefix Sat 16-Jan-16 21:41:49

Meh the keys get given to the next one in charge except for the time I forgot and had to drive all the way back...nobody had even realised

YouTheCat Sat 16-Jan-16 21:42:31

Is she one of those people who can't find something unless it is right in front of them with a flashing neon sign?

Fair enough that she phoned to ask but she should have stopped at the one call. You are no longer at work and I don't see why your leisure time should be constantly interrupted.

Idefix Sat 16-Jan-16 21:42:43

Intrigued to know what the thing is though op grin

Wonderingheights Sat 16-Jan-16 21:46:04

They were keys, in fact. Anyway I have texted to apologise for being snappy and just said the keys definitely haven't been taken out of the room, by me at any rate. The thing is that the woman I was working with spent more or less the whole shift on her phone so she won't know!

Chicagomd Sat 16-Jan-16 21:46:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now