Re my fridge settings?

(27 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Sat 16-Jan-16 20:24:44

Or rather, am I being stupid? The dial in my fridge goes from 1-7. I have no idea which end is the coldest. Consequently, I try leave it in the middle but things at the back of my fridge still freeze. So, can anyway tell me which number is likely to be the coldest (or warmest) setting. Oh, and no, the manual doesn't tell me!!

Oldisthenewblack Sat 16-Jan-16 20:25:27

I meant, can anyone tell me.....obviously.

MaybeAnOverthinker Sat 16-Jan-16 20:26:35

Same! Trial and error. We fiddled with the dual and a fridge thermometer

Joopy Sat 16-Jan-16 20:27:32

I want to know this too!

NinaSimoneful Sat 16-Jan-16 20:28:08

Google the make and model of your fridge. They'd bound to be a manual available, most likely a PDF.

Failing that, maybe someone else had the same fridge and you'll come across then asking the same question. If not you might find somewhere to post your question.

Good luck.

NinaSimoneful Sat 16-Jan-16 20:29:32

*There's bound to be
not 'they'd' bound to be

ooerrmissus Sat 16-Jan-16 20:31:40

I'd get a cheap fridge thermometer from Amazon. Not worth guessing and getting it wrong.

BlueJug Sat 16-Jan-16 20:37:34

Same. The instructions said "high" and "low" - what does that mean?? Is high a high temperature and therefore warm or is high the highest/strongest setting and therefore the coldest?? I have it in the middle and have a fridge thermometer to be sure.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 16-Jan-16 20:40:27

On mine 1 is the warmest, 6 is the coldest. Think it's a zanussi.

carolinemoon Sat 16-Jan-16 20:45:54

I googled this at Christmas when staying somewhere and wanting to make the fridge colder.

The result seemed to be that, for pretty much all fridges, the higher the number the colder the fridge- the number relates to power/how much cold the fridge is making.

It certainly worked for the one I was using.

janethegirl2 Sat 16-Jan-16 20:48:45

Yes my fridge is warmest on setting 1.

CakeNinja Sat 16-Jan-16 20:50:52

I've got an American fridge freezer and it has a digital display next the water and ice bit.
Freezer is set to -6 and fridge is on 4.

Oldisthenewblack Sat 16-Jan-16 21:12:14

NinaSimone - I have a paper copy of the manual; believe it or not it doesn't tell me anything about the settings. Doesn't tell me much actually. It's and Amica fridge, a make I'd never heard of before I was given this one (somebody bought it for me). I'll google it when fish the manual out from down the back of the drawer I put it in.

The concensus seems to be that the lower the number, the warmer the fridge, so I'll experiment. And I'll get a fridge thermomenter.

Thanks all!

Oldisthenewblack Sat 16-Jan-16 21:12:43

Consensus!

singleWhiteMale Sat 16-Jan-16 21:28:41

Move the dial from 1 to 7 and back again a few times. As you approach one end of the scale you should hear a click and the sound of the compressor running. That's the coldest setting.

Lucsy Sat 16-Jan-16 21:30:50

Wish I knew the answer too
My fridge goes from
Minimum to maximum and I have no idea which way to go so put it in the middle

Fuckitfay Sat 16-Jan-16 21:36:38

I didn't know this either and it's always annoyed me. High number should = high temp in my mind not "highest cold setting"
Mines a candy and 7 is coldest setting. Found this out by leaving it at 7 overnight and things at the back of the fridge were frozen.

It's nearly as upsetting as "near side" and "off side" lane which I can't get my mind round. I always thought of it as near the pavement is near side but I think that's wrong but then I'm not sure and go round in circles in my brain. I'd be a terrible witness to a car accident unless I could say "fast" and "slow" lane in the witness box

NotTheSpiceOfLife Sat 16-Jan-16 21:40:55

You're right Fuckit, nearside is always the side nearest the pavement!

topcat2014 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:41:27

The highest number will definitely be the 'biggest' low temperature (ie the coldest)

mumofason Sat 16-Jan-16 21:47:54

Took me ages to work it out on my fridge (used a thermometer in the end) I then took a sharpie and put H on the warm end and C on the cold end of the dial, so I didn't forget.

Fuckitfay Sat 16-Jan-16 22:05:29

Ah OK spice would have sworn that's what I thought before but was wrong. I get confused as to whether it's near the pavement or nearest to the cars coming in the other direction

Fuckitfay Sat 16-Jan-16 22:08:52

Or is it inside and outside lane that confuses me more. Inside as being the lane in the middle of the road I.e away from the curb and outside the outside of the two lanes closest to the curb but I think again is wrong

Sorry to derail but why can't plain English be used for fridges And motoring!

Oldraver Sat 16-Jan-16 22:52:13

My fridge has a dial and you set it according to the ambient temperature

CakeNinja Sun 17-Jan-16 00:53:56

Anyway, I've had people round so not sure if someone has messed around with the settings for a larf (!) or its just my stupid memory, but the freezer is actually -21!

CakeNinja Sun 17-Jan-16 00:54:55

And yes, I need a new filter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now