to think I should be served more fairly?

(19 Posts)
ethelb Fri 15-Jan-16 18:11:28

At bars I mean. I just popped into the pub for a swift after work half and two people who were standing BEHIND ME at the bar were served before me.
Its not the first time its happened, in fact friends of mine have in the past got slightly miffed at how long it has taken me to get some drinks in. As in a couple of friends will now insist on going to the bar with me now to get served and it does speed the whole process up.
Just for the record, i think it is because Im short (5'2''). But surely that is not a good enough reason to ignore me, I'm not invisible.
I have tried various tactics including being v polite, being neutral, being assertive and being downright rude. The first two have no effect, the latter two have a negative effect on serving time and I have been snapped at.
What do I need to do to be served?!
*By the way, I don't tend to have this problem in my two locals (god I sound like a lush!) where I am recognised.

mumblechum1 Fri 15-Jan-16 18:17:42

I always kind of half lean over the bar with a £20 in my hand and work really hard at eye contact with the staff. If i just stand sideways on talking to friends i never get served

19lottie82 Fri 15-Jan-16 18:19:33

You need to woman up and if the bar tender serves someone else before you, (politely) pipe up so you can be heard...... "Sorry, I was first!"

Or give the bar tender £1 tip first round. You'll get served first each time after that.

19lottie82 Fri 15-Jan-16 18:20:25

Mumblechum1 yes I use this technique too, but OP whatever you do, never wave your £ at the bar staff, or you'll definitely get served last!

AliceInUnderpants Fri 15-Jan-16 18:27:34

Do you have any idea how difficult it is as a barperson, to remember which order people arrived at the bar?
They actually served the people behind you? Or were they beside you by then?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 15-Jan-16 18:30:34

We used to call it bar charisma. You have it or you don't.

I don't sad

whois Fri 15-Jan-16 18:34:46

Second not waving money. I stand expectantly, taking up as much room as possible without looking like a sick, with a smile on my face and try to make eye contact with the bar staff.

I'm also pretty good at saying 'oh this guy was in front of me' if the bar tender skips someone who's been waiting way longer than me and hope the karma pays off.

Katedotness1963 Fri 15-Jan-16 18:35:05

I'm short and I get overlooked too, however any decent bar staff should be able to keep track of customers needing served.

weebarra Fri 15-Jan-16 18:44:59

Yes, I'm a short arse and this happens to me! I have sharp elbows though.

AskingForAPal Fri 15-Jan-16 18:47:35

I agree - try to make eye contact, and if someone behind you gets served first, when they (the other customer) probably knows full well you were there first, I have a rather startling tendency to go "WHAT ABOUT ME?" which seems to be effective!

ethelb Fri 15-Jan-16 18:47:39

Alice yes, two separate bar staff served two separate groups/people directly behind me first.

MardyGrave Fri 15-Jan-16 19:01:39

Always look forward and try to catch the bar person with eye contact. Don't look around or backwards at all, have the cash ready in your hand and be ready to give your order clearly and promptly when asked. Shoulders back, on your tip toes if required, the only thing you need to be concentrating on is getting their attention.

JessieMcJessie Fri 15-Jan-16 19:07:56

Why is waving money bad? Is it like clicking your fingers at a waitress?

MiddleClassProblem Fri 15-Jan-16 19:12:38

Holding a wallet/purse you look prepared, leaning forward you look ready, eye contact and a smile they know you're there and you're not going to treat them like shit, letting someone who was waiting longer go first if they come to you can set you up for the night sometimes as they think you are not a douche bag. Fannying about with your drink order can reverse this.

ifyoulikepinacolada Fri 15-Jan-16 19:15:39

Yeah, it's bar charisma. It's a weird one. Don't chat, don't look around, take up as much space at the bar as you can get away with. If somebody is served in front of you, say 'excuse me - I think I was here first' politely to the bartender. Sometimes you do have to say something. If you act as though you think it was a genuine mistake the staff will serve you next! Also make eye contact as the staff turn away from the till after the last transaction.

Also, just be nice. I know it's frustrating to feel overlooked or to stand for ages at a busy bar but if I'm serving and someone's rude to me, they go straight back to the end of the queue. Once, though, I overlooked this guy (completely by accident - we were rammed and the queue was out the door). I realised, apologised, he saw how stressed I was and told me not to worry and he'd planned to be in the pub all evening anyway! It was so lovely we all started serving him first after that.

ifyoulikepinacolada Fri 15-Jan-16 19:16:29

jessie you wave money at strippers. Not bar staff!

Feeches Fri 15-Jan-16 19:47:01

I used to work in a busy bar. I like to think I was good at serving customers in order of arrival but sometimes it was hard if very crowded. I had no problem at all with people being assertive but rudeness meant you'd be served last.

I'm 5'4" but I make my presence felt!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 15-Jan-16 20:32:45

I think it's easy to remember confused even when people are five deep!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 15-Jan-16 20:34:02

Helpful, aren't I grin

YANBU. You need to be assertive, attentive to the staff, willing to try and catch their eye, and preferably waving a tenner!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now