To ask you all what it was that the ladybird actually heard?

(17 Posts)
toomuchtooold Thu 14-Jan-16 11:01:04

No kidding, I actually want to know! My kids got What The Ladybird Heard for their second birthdays from a friend of ours and somewhere in the last year and a half of moving house twice, one of them got a hold of it and ripped out the middle two pages. Then they got into storybooks, and found it again, and they love it, but it goes straight from "and she whispered it into each animal ear" to "and the farmer woke and said golly gosh" . I could get a new one but they quite like the story in its abridged form grin and I'm loath to mess with anything in the bedtime routine. But I'd love to know how Len and Hugh are foiled in their dastardly plan. Can anyone fill me in?

Toria2014 Thu 14-Jan-16 11:15:04

The ladybird heard the burglars plan to steal the prize cow. So she comes up with a plan and whispers it into each animals's ear. The burglars use the sounds each animal makes to find their way across the farm to the cow.

But each animal pretends to be something else so the burglars end up in the pond!

I really like that book. We have the version with the sounds down the side.

toomuchtooold Thu 14-Jan-16 11:25:10

Thank you! That's been bugging me for months! It's quite a clever plan actually...

ifgrandmahadawilly Thu 14-Jan-16 11:29:32

YANBU. Someone bought my daughter 'What the Lady Bird Heard Next' for her second birthday but we had never read the first one. Now we know!

hippoherostandinghere Thu 14-Jan-16 11:35:26

She heard 2 men in black van with a map and a key and a cunning plan to steal the fine prize cow.

SingingSamosa Thu 14-Jan-16 11:47:43

The ladybird heard the plan of the burglars, who were planning to steal the prize cow. You should already know that though if you have all of the pages up to "whispered into each animal's ear" wink

The pages you are missing read as follows:

"At dead of night the two bad men
(Hefty Hugh and Lanky Len)
Opened the gate while the farmer slept
And tiptoe into the farm they crept

Then the goose said, "NEIGH!" with all her might
And Len said, "That's the horse - turn right."
And the dainty dog began to QUACK.
"The duck!" said Hugh.
"We're right on track."
"OINK," said the cats.
"There goes the hog!
Be careful not to wake the dog."
"BAA BAA BAA," said the fat red hen.
"The sheep! We're nearly there," said Len.
Then the duck on the pond said, "MOO MOO MOO!"
"Two more steps to go!" said Hugh.
And they both stepped into the duck pond-
SPLOSH!!!

(Copyright Julia Donaldson, 2000 etc etc)

I love this story and used it to successfully gain a place on my PGCE course!

SingingSamosa Thu 14-Jan-16 11:48:29

That's copyright 2009, not 2000!

coughingbean Thu 14-Jan-16 12:00:47

This is one of my favourite books to read at library story time, along with 'the cow that laid an egg'

LongHairDontCare Thu 14-Jan-16 12:08:58

Ds loves this book so much, I've ended up memorising it!

toomuchtooold Thu 14-Jan-16 12:10:30

Dammit that sounds really good samosa ! I might just buy a new copy, it'll be to the wee ones what the Dead Sea Scrolls were to Bible scholars grin

DoomGloomAndKaboom Thu 14-Jan-16 12:10:49

There's a SEQUEL????

YIPPPEEEEE!

I love that ladybird, she's a frickin' genius!

Imfinehowareyou Thu 14-Jan-16 12:21:45

It is the most awesome live show too!

RatOnnaStick Thu 14-Jan-16 12:26:02

Can I just jump in here to say the Audio version is narrated and sung by Alexander Armstrong and his rendition of "and the cow said MOO..." is just brilliant. Full theatricals and deep booming voice <fans self>...

gabsdot45 Thu 14-Jan-16 12:28:15

I adore these books. DD has both of them plus everything else Julia Donaldson has written. I'm a huge fan

CaveMum Thu 14-Jan-16 12:31:42

DD went through a phase of insisting on having WTLH every single flipping night for about a month. Now we're doing the same with "Babies, Babies, Babies" <sigh>

YBR Thu 14-Jan-16 12:31:53

what RatO said.

DisappointedOne Thu 14-Jan-16 12:41:02

Can also vouch for the live show. We still sing the songs 2 years later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now