Help please. Pleeease! Mobile phone for my elderly mum?

(13 Posts)
EponasWildDaughter Thu 14-Jan-16 09:28:18

I've been searching online for a 'big button' mobile phone for my mum for an hour now.

I've googled ''big button mobiles for the elderly'', etc, and they all seem to have nice clear numbers, but the letters (for texting obvs) look quite tiny still.

Also, reading reviews reveal that some revert to predictive text every time you use it - aarrrgghh. She wont cope with reverting it back every time! Even with ''one simple action''.

Anyone got a recommendation for a mobile for my mum who struggles with her eyesight, is NOT tech savy, cant do touch screen, and just wants to simply take calls and text?

Many thanks.

EponasWildDaughter Thu 14-Jan-16 09:28:55

I meant to put this in chat! sorry.

CMOTDibbler Thu 14-Jan-16 09:32:38

I got my dad a Doro PhoneEasy from Sainsburys - I don't know about texting as thats beyond him, but its very easy to use and a good display. £20 iirc

HopingforHols Thu 14-Jan-16 10:11:39

It doesn't text at all and is limited to 12 main numbers I think but a thought for the future could be an OwnFone? This totally doesn't answer your current question but it's the only thing I know of that really helped us.

goldierocks Thu 14-Jan-16 10:21:02

Hello OP... my friend's mum (86 years old) has this one:
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4177496.htm

It's not a smartphone, it does calls/texts only.
Friend's mum only has sight in one eye and recently had cataract surgery (on her 'good' eye) and she is still able to use the phone just fine.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 14-Jan-16 10:33:59

My mum has a door. She loves it. Very simple.

EponasWildDaughter Thu 14-Jan-16 10:45:06

Thanks all.

The one at argos looks good as i like the idea of a charging station rather than her having to fiddle with a little jack plug.

Just been looking at the Doro 508. www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-PhoneEasy-SIM-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B00JHAK5RM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Buttons look nice and clear against the white. Decisions decisions!

I feel like i'm only going to get one shot at this. If she doesn't get on with the first one i buy she'll reject them all i just know it!

ButterflyUpSoHigh Thu 14-Jan-16 10:55:54

My Nans friend has had 5 Doros from Carphone Warehouse as they have broken really easily. Don't know if it's a known issue or she is just clumsy.

Antisoc Thu 14-Jan-16 11:01:14

Both my parents have doros and love them. The ones they have hold their charge really well.

SSargassoSea Thu 14-Jan-16 11:09:56

I am not exactly over the hill but has she tried an Iphone, I find mine great compared to my old nokia. The touch symbols are bright and clear and all come up at a press of the button. Wish I'd changed ages ago.

EponasWildDaughter Thu 14-Jan-16 12:48:14

She wouldn't manage a touch screen sargasso. Trust me. But thank you.

Her old mobile is a Motorola from about 2001 which she keeps in it's leather case (the clear window has long gone milky and yellow) in the bread bin.

I'm still open to suggestions smile

Xmasbaby11 Thu 14-Jan-16 14:01:35

Door? Doro!

MissRenataFlitworth Thu 14-Jan-16 14:08:35

I researched this thoroughly last year for my father and came to the conclusion that there isn't a mobile on the market which is suitable for people with poor grip and little manual dexterity. Sadly, my father died so I stopped looking. However, could your mum possibly manage a big screen smartphone with a stylus? I use one all the time and it makes a touchscreen really easy. It's a hell of a sight better that pressing once for a, twice for b and three times for c.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now