new childminders house

(80 Posts)
karen912 Tue 12-Jan-16 14:52:11

AIBU not to feel comfortable sending my children to a house where there is a smell of smoke? Nobody is smoking when they are actually there. It is someone that lives there that smokes in the evening.
So just to be clear - nobody is smoking around them, and they're not in a smokey room as such.. it is just the residual smell from the evening before. (I've read that residual smell and toxins can be harmful).
Myself and my husband don't feel the same about this, so totally open to being told IABU.

ChessieFL Tue 12-Jan-16 14:53:48

I would feel the same as you OP. I would look for another childminder.

Ebb Tue 12-Jan-16 14:54:14

YANBU but didn't you smell it when you visited?

Patapouf Tue 12-Jan-16 14:55:13

YANBU, if surprised ofsted don't have stricter standards!

MamaLazarou Tue 12-Jan-16 14:55:58

It wouldn't be nice for your kids to come home smelling of fags. YANBU

karen912 Tue 12-Jan-16 14:56:58

I thought I did smell it on initial visit - but DH didn't, so I put it down to it being over the christmas and maybe they were entertaining people etc.. Then I didn't think about it again.
Now on drop off and pick up even husband can smell it.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 12-Jan-16 14:57:03

I'd hate it.

Your children will smell of smoke when they get home. It clings to fabric, walls, lightswitches and they'll brush against it. They're hand will be covered in it. Horrible.

I'd find another childminder.

Mookbark Tue 12-Jan-16 14:57:09

I wouldn't like it.
I have a friend who is a CM. She has a notice on her fence as you approach her house saying that it is used for childcare purposes and no one is allowed to smoke anywhere on the premises. much better, IMO.

nilbyname Tue 12-Jan-16 14:57:34

I did exactly the same- no way! The house stank of shake and vac/old smoke. It was really noticeable and as a no smoker it was a non starter for me.

SweetSuz Tue 12-Jan-16 15:14:03

If it were me I probably wouldn't. no. I saw 3 childminders houses one I was deeply uncomfortable soon after setting foot in (wasn't homely at all/no toys to see/paint peeling off walls/sofas falling apart etc.) and despite a lovely Cm herself, shuddered at thought of DS spending time there. Big factor in our decision for our lovely CM was also how perfect her house was, non smoking, warm, comfortable- if there's negative point it will just grow in your mind. All this not to mention there are definite, significant health risks.

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:14:59

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

LagunaBubbles Tue 12-Jan-16 15:17:12

God no, minging smell.

karen912 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:19:31

thanks for the replies. You're all saying what my gut is telling me.

bittapitta Tue 12-Jan-16 15:20:04

Any laws about this as it's a workplace and you can no longer smoke in a workplace? I think legislation says something like providers must not allow smoking on the premises when children are present or about to be present.

Maybe worth openly talking to CM about your concerns?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 12-Jan-16 15:21:00

You also need to wonder what else she's completely laid back about.

If having nicotine in her walls/furnishings (nicotine grows, btw) doesn't concern her then I'd worry about other stuff. Food hygiene, etc.

Whatdoidohelp Tue 12-Jan-16 15:21:48

Yanbu. The smoke and the nasties will be in there furniture curtains carpets etc. Disgusting. I would also report this childminder.

KP86 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:26:57

Yuk yuk yuk

I don't think I would leave my child with someone who smoked, even if it was when they weren't around.

It's not just her house, I imagine the car will also smell.

Stillunexpected Tue 12-Jan-16 15:29:54

I wouldn't like it and wouldn't have my children in a smoky environment. Both PILs smoked and after about an hour in their house my children used to come home smelling of it. Now MIL is on her own and smoking much less but the smell is so ingrained in their house that even if I don't know that DH has been over there I pick up the smell from him when he walks in the house. Even if she doesn't smoke while he is there the smell clings to his clothes from where he sits, hangs his coat up etc. Yuck.

pictish Tue 12-Jan-16 15:31:50

Sack her immediately, she's obviously the anti-christ.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 12-Jan-16 15:33:50

I hate the smell. I would move my child for that reason.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Tue 12-Jan-16 15:34:00

I'm with pictish although I don't think she's being quite harsh enough. Perhaps run her through with some pitchforks before dunking her in the village pond? You can't be soft with these people.

cjt110 Tue 12-Jan-16 15:34:48

Spin it around, if it were a nursery would you expect that smell? No. And a cm is just a variation of as I assume they will have several charges.

PurpleTraitor Tue 12-Jan-16 15:35:47

I wouldn't mind that no. Someone smoking near the house when they are not there? Not an issue.

But then I must be so laid back I am horizontal as I had never seen my childminders house prior to dropping my kids off there. And still haven't ever been anywhere but the hall.

captaincake Tue 12-Jan-16 15:35:49

There is absolutely no way I would allow my son to go a childminder whose house is smoked in in the evenings.

pictish Tue 12-Jan-16 15:37:13

Isn't there someone somewhere you can report her too as well? Do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now