To be shocked at the mountain of salt that was on my food?!

(25 Posts)
SparklyTinselTits Tue 12-Jan-16 13:47:15

So, about half an hour ago, DD fell asleep in the car on the way home from town, I was starving, so I drove to the next town (about 15 mins away) to let her sleep and get myself a McDonald's.
Obviously McDonald's is full of salt and crap anyway (I'll stare at myself in disgust in the mirror later wink) but the chips that were in the happy meal I just ate were so salty, it was like I'd drank a gobful of sea water confused
Now, I know they put salt on the chips when the cook them, but happy meal chips?! A meal aimed at children absolutely saturated in salt? I swear it's usually not this bad!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 12-Jan-16 13:49:46

They don't salt during cooking anymore, they do it afterwards. It sounds like you just had a bad salt-er. They have reduced the salt that they use (as in, there's less salt per packet that is supposed to be shaken over the batch of chips) but if they salt and then don't shake the chips, or if they use more than one packet to make up for each packet having less, you end up with really over-salted chips.

Krampus Tue 12-Jan-16 13:52:41

Sounds like you got an over salted batch, ask for them to be none salted next time.

Fugghetaboutit Tue 12-Jan-16 13:53:03

Maybe you got the last bit of chips that are sitting in all the salt at the bottom

SparklyTinselTits Tue 12-Jan-16 13:54:10

Eww. That's even worse....I got the old chips haha
I ate one, and it made my toes curl confused

Pointlessfan Tue 12-Jan-16 13:55:23

I've found that I've got so used to not having salt since cooking with DD in mind that anything processed or from restaurants/take aways tastes really salty to me now.

MaxPepsi Tue 12-Jan-16 13:56:17

That's why I love MuckyD's fries the most, for the huge amount of salt on them blush

Notso Tue 12-Jan-16 13:56:52

Lucky you. I usually have to put extra salt on.

MTPurse Tue 12-Jan-16 14:00:10

I'm with Notso I always have to put extra salt on my Maccy fries.

ValiantVelvet Tue 12-Jan-16 14:01:33

The salt isn't put on in packets. There's a plastic dispenser that you use to shake salt over the fries. What sometimes happens, especially if it's busy, is that one basket of fries will be dropped/salted, then someone will add another basket on top of those and re-salt, so some of them end up salted twice.

Happy meal fries aren't cooked separately, they all come out of the same batch.

Your old fries really aren't 'old', either. When I worked there, any fries that had been sitting for more than fifteen minutes were binned.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 12-Jan-16 14:03:51

Maybe the person who was on chip duty got a bit shaker happy with the salt grin
Oh well...it filled a hole! Happy meal hamburgers are the best grin

Katenka Tue 12-Jan-16 14:10:09

Extra salted McDonald's chips are the holy grail of crappy food.

I am very jealous. I always get more salt and put it on.

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 12-Jan-16 14:14:09

I just want Mcdonald salty fries now...

SparklyTinselTits Tue 12-Jan-16 14:20:30

Come to my McDonald's...they are handing out salt in mountainous quantities today wink

Viviennemary Tue 12-Jan-16 14:21:26

If you want healthy eating don't eat McDonalds. I like salty and so do lots of people. Sounds like you got a double or triple dose of salt.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 12-Jan-16 14:23:22

I also always add more salt to my chips!

BarbaraofSeville Tue 12-Jan-16 14:28:33

McDonalds is no worse than other processed foods - not wanting to defend them, but there are much worse things you can eat that dont' get anywhere near the same amount of bad press. You may have accidentally got a bit of extra salt, but salt sprinkled on food is usually less than that hidden in processed food.

According to the McDs nutrition counter on their website, which you would expect to be accurate because there would be plenty of people to call them on it if it was a big fat lie, in a Happy Meal with Hamburger, fries and a Froot Shoot grin, there is 1.7 g of salt.

As a comparison, there is 0.8 g in 2 slices of thin naiceish ham from Sainsburys and 0.8 g in 2 slices of warburtons medium white bread, so your Happy meal has about the same amount of salt as a miserable plain white bread ham sandwich, not counting the butter or any pickle because I can't be arsed to add that too and people eat ham sandwiches day in day out without thinking about it.

SparklyTinselTits Tue 12-Jan-16 14:31:11

Never thought of it that way!! I only really started paying attention to the amount of salt in stuff since weaning DD!
I couldn't believe how much salt is in a stock cube!

DreamingofTuscany Tue 12-Jan-16 14:39:53

The last few times I have been to McDonald's my chips have been over salty. And the last time they were definitely fresh as I watched the man put them in the drainer and add the salt! Also, I have a stinking cold and couldn't 'taste' they were salty I could just feel the sensation, if you know what I mean. My lips and tongue went 'fuzzy'

Katenka Tue 12-Jan-16 14:47:44

God I want a McDonald's with extra salty fries now!

QuizteamBleakley Tue 12-Jan-16 15:04:02

Day 12 of my diet and I'm suddenly craving a quarterpounder with cheese meal go large and a six nugget chaser

No wonder I'm a fat git grin

DisappointedOne Tue 12-Jan-16 15:24:26

Don't eat there myself but you can ask for unsalted fries if you want them. (I can't bear salt on anything but crisps)

maybebabybee Tue 12-Jan-16 16:18:13

I genuinely can't understand people who don't have salt on their chips. Why not just have a boiled potato in that case confused

EatShitDerek Tue 12-Jan-16 16:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DisappointedOne Tue 12-Jan-16 16:27:06

Can't bear salt or vinegar on chips. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now