Would you be annoyed if

(25 Posts)
ImNotYourMummy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:17:59

Someone was coming to your house to provide a service but cancelled due to illness a few hours before? Service isn't urgent but money already paid. Person has asked to rearrange for the next few days.

TeenAndTween Tue 12-Jan-16 13:19:06

Mildly put out. But if they are ill, they are ill.
Better than turning up and infecting me!

ImNotYourMummy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:19:07

Also is it ok for the person cancelling to text (standard method of communication) rather than call.

ImNotYourMummy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:20:08

Person (me wink) is genuinely ill. Flu symptoms which are getting worse, sneezing every few mins. Feel appalling

2ndSopranosRule Tue 12-Jan-16 13:20:23

Marginally irritated if I'd made arrangements to be available. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt to rearrange in good time before actually getting annoyed.

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 12-Jan-16 13:21:03

No not for illness. I've had to cancel weekly thing I run few hours before through illness. I have sometimes hoped I'll been well enough to do it but realised as the day went on I'm just not able and had to cancel.
Is someone annoyed at you for cancellation or are you worried that may be?

ImNotYourMummy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:21:48

Mmm it's a fortnightly service for which no prep is really required. Along the lines of music lessons say.

Dogadviceneeded Tue 12-Jan-16 13:22:01

Might be a bit irritated but would rather that than an I'll person coming to my house and infecting me!

Queenbean Tue 12-Jan-16 13:22:02

depends on if I'd taken the day off to let them in

If yes, then yes I'd be annoyed

If no, then no, I wouldn't be annoyed

I also would prefer text contact but my grandma would think it very disrespectful if someone didn't call her in this situation

ImNotYourMummy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:22:10

They seem mildly irritated blush

TamaraLamara Tue 12-Jan-16 13:22:27

If they are genuinely ill, and have no colleagues who could fill in to provide the service, then what other course of action could there be?

Dogadviceneeded Tue 12-Jan-16 13:22:31

Ill not I'll!

ImNotYourMummy Tue 12-Jan-16 13:23:23

Haven't taken the day off, it's during family time/free time anyway.

BertPuttocks Tue 12-Jan-16 13:23:50

Illness happens.

Unless you regularly cancelled, I'd be glad you'd let me know and be hoping that you felt better soon.

WilLiAmHerschel Tue 12-Jan-16 13:25:23

Might be annoyed if id taken time off work or otherwise changed plans but sometimes these things can't be helped. Where possible it would be best to try and let them know first thing or the day before but illness doesn't always work that way!

If you see the person regularly they must know you're not the type to skive. Hope you feel better soon.

SuperCee7 Tue 12-Jan-16 13:26:43

Depending on what it was I might be mildly irritated however I wouldn't blame the person cancelling. I like it when things go to plan but illness can not be helped so i wouldn't let on I was irritated.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 12-Jan-16 13:46:23

Well no. You can't help being ill can you, and its not something you can predict is it.
Yes we all like things to go to plan just as I'd planned to win the lottery on Saturday to no avail, so, I guess shit happens and we don't always get what we want.

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 12-Jan-16 13:49:45

Not for illness, can't be helped.

hippowithsuncreen Tue 12-Jan-16 13:50:52

I would prefer text as I hate phone calls but some people might not check their texts regularly and so might not know you are not coming if that makes sense.

ifyoulikepinacolada Tue 12-Jan-16 14:24:15

No, it's fine. And better to stick to standard methods of communication!

As the service provider though (my day job is along similar lines) I'd offer a perk to make up for it. Next one half price/longer session/more of something or whatever's appropriate. It's worth it in terms of keeping goodwill!

nextusername Tue 12-Jan-16 14:38:55

No, it's not your fault if you're ill. Would you still charge a customer if they cancelled due to illness and you had put aside the time for them?

DiseasesOfTheSheep Tue 12-Jan-16 15:23:52

I do a similar type of work - like music lessons - and have cancelled at short notice due to illness occasionally. It's unavoidable and nobody has ever been anything but understanding - just as I am if they need to cancel due to illness themselves.

thecatsarecrazy Tue 12-Jan-16 18:32:50

If it was genuine then no can't be helped, if it was 3rd time in a row (this has happened to me) I would be pissed off

Gliblet Tue 12-Jan-16 18:39:02

I would have called, awkward as it may be, texts sometimes don't get through, or get through hours later. Would say basic courtesy to call if you're letting someone down.

But if you're ill then not unreasonable to cancel smile

ghnocci Tue 12-Jan-16 18:41:46

I'd be mildly irritated. And definitely would have expected a phone call rather than a text.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now