To think it's sad that Robert De Niro has stooped so low?

(153 Posts)
Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:04:19

An ad for Robert De Niros' new film 'Dirty Grandpa' has just been on TV. AIBU to be sad that such a great actor with a fantastic back catalogue of films has stooped so low as to be involved in such a revolting, crappy project?

He doesn't need the money, gets a lot of press exposure and surely gets offered roles better than this, so WHY?

Why do such great Actors do this?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 09-Jan-16 23:07:44

When asked if he'd seen the truly awful, Jaws:The Revenge, Michael Caine said, “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

The other issue is that actors think comedy is easy. It is actually the most difficult kind of acting, which they frequently find out halfway through filming...

RJnomore1 Sat 09-Jan-16 23:09:22

Yeah I saw it and did think heavens he is cruising isn't he?

MuddhaOfSuburbia Sat 09-Jan-16 23:12:03

he's a screenslag isn't he- he'll do ANYthing

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:12:40

I do get that, but even though it was just the 'highlights' I saw, it was completely cringeworthy with dirty old men 'jokes'. Nothing funny. I do wonder what sort of market this film is actually aimed at!

squoosh Sat 09-Jan-16 23:17:13

Michael Caine is just a mediocre actor who got very lucky. Robert de Niro though, he's a titan in comparison. And yes OP, it's truly depressing to see the shit he's churning out these days.

He must have some serious debts that need paying. That's all I can think of.

On a similar note I still wince when I think of the Sky broadband ad Al Pacino made a couple of years ago.

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:17:32

And not all Actors take this 'route' towards the end of their career, I can't, for example, ever see Daniel Day Lewis doing 'Dirty Grandpa!'

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 09-Jan-16 23:19:04

I do wonder, surely he (and actors who do similar dross) have enough money to never work again and have had for quite some time.

Are they all secret gamblers with enormous debt?

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:19:30

I think, sadly, you are right Squoosh. Must be money/debts.

I'm still sad though, I grew up really admiring a lot of his films.

squoosh Sat 09-Jan-16 23:21:14

Travis is disappointed in Robert.

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:21:26

And even though a lot of Actors do start churning out crap for money later in their career, 'Dirty Granpa' seemed just a bit more....demeaning?

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:22:19

Grandpa!

squoosh Sat 09-Jan-16 23:22:37

Jake is disappointed in Robert.

squoosh Sat 09-Jan-16 23:23:49

Vito is disappointed in Robert

squoosh Sat 09-Jan-16 23:24:58

Rupert looks happy but he's actually also very disappointed in Robert.

Samcro Sat 09-Jan-16 23:25:07

op have you seen the film

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:25:21

And so he should be!

Narp Sat 09-Jan-16 23:26:28

squoosh grin

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:28:14

No I haven't see the film, just extended highlights on the channel four film review programme (it was panned) and the highlights just now on an ad. Highlights try to show really funny/good bits and the bits I just saw were really 'benny hill' like.

I won't be going to see the full film.

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:30:52

Especially as Squoosh has reminded me of how great he used to be!

GhoulishGertie Sat 09-Jan-16 23:31:23

Squoosh flowers flowers brava! brava!

Brightnorthernlights Sat 09-Jan-16 23:34:04

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf83Yq3EO_M

rookiemere Sat 09-Jan-16 23:34:22

I thought the trailer looked quite amusing blush.

Can't be much worse than his part in the <this is full of famous actors but lacking a plot so therefore rubbish> Joy.

yumyumpoppycat Sat 09-Jan-16 23:34:45

I thought the same when watching the ad and thats saying something as he has been in some fairly pants films recently.

Lol @ "Rupert looks happy but he's actually also very disappointed in Robert"

Dustin hoffman has also made some truly amazing films compared to some not so good ones recently but nothing like bad grandpa.

amazingtracy Sat 09-Jan-16 23:35:47

From the actor that won an [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131704/?ref_=nv_sr_1 oscar]. I call them mortgage movies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now