to think anti social behaviour is getting more frequent

(21 Posts)
saltlakecity Sat 09-Jan-16 15:33:35

Aibu to think anti social behaviour is getting more frequent or is it just unfortunate where I live and work? I hope I'm being opened minded to this but I am becoming more and more down about it.

On my street for example:
Kids kicking doors and ramming on windows.
Car aerial stolen.
Wing mirror stolen.
Rogue landlord who is letting his house become so run down it is impacting on other houses selling on the street.
A tenant who leaves bags of rubbish lying on the street for weeks so inevitably they get torn open and the crap scatters everywhere.

Littering.
Dog shit
neighbour screaming and threatening about parking.

Also in town today I've witnesses fighting, swearing (little kids around), cars speeding, tailgating, numerous people parked on double yellows with no disabled badge. More dog shit. A parent allowing a little boy to wee near a shop front in the middle of town.

Aibu for wanting to become a hermit.

In my working life I see even worse (teacher). It makes me so miserable. It's as if it doesn't impact on the person doing it then they don't give a damn.

MoMoTy Sat 09-Jan-16 15:35:18

I'm sorry to say I think it's where you live. I really haven't seen that around my area.

saltlakecity Sat 09-Jan-16 15:54:59

MoMoTy what kind of area do you live in? Mine is low cost housing, deprived town etc

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:59:59

Not round here, but it's a reasonably naice area.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 09-Jan-16 16:07:30

Some of that is criminal behaviour (theft)
Some is anti social.

People are more impatient (just try sitting at the traffic lights of a busy junction and see the impatient, bad driving)

Nobody wants to involve themselves or if they do they run a risk themselves (being sworn at , attacked or worse)

Unfortunately , anyone who tries to combat is a BusyBody.

But I still defend my right to curse at the twats who walk into me while staring at the iPhone. That is one of my bugbears, they are going about their business without any consideration to other pedestrians.

You wouldn't tolerate people walking about blindfolded bumping into things.
Well these people walk along (sometimes with headphones). I refuse to alter my path.
When they bump into me , the shock look on their little cuntychops.
Dependant on if I'm with or without my DC , I tell them to look where they're going or Look where they're fucking well going.

They're never an apology, just A Sorrrreeeeeee or "I did look"

Well that's why you bumped into me eh? What if I was visually impaired or unstable on my feet?

Gits

LynetteScavo Sat 09-Jan-16 16:10:44

No, I really don't think anti social behaviour is more frequent.

I'd say it's less frequent. But maybe I live in a nicer area these days.

LynetteScavo Sat 09-Jan-16 16:12:42

I tell them to look where they're going or Look where they're fucking well going.

Erm...that's antisocial behaviour. confused

saltlakecity Sat 09-Jan-16 16:14:59

Do you think there is a correlation between deprivation and anti social areas? I actually do think there is but don't really know why that would be the case.

Polgara25 Sat 09-Jan-16 16:15:06

I agree. People think nothing of being generally rude these days too.

LynetteScavo Sat 09-Jan-16 16:26:40

Yes I do, saltlake.

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule, but you can't imagine Royalty yelling "Piss off out if my way" like you don't expect rival gangs to say "Please, after you" when they meet on the street.

Learned behaviour innit.

Flossyfloof Sat 09-Jan-16 16:38:11

Um - Princess Anne was once very much known for this kind of behaviour, Lynette.

LynetteScavo Sat 09-Jan-16 16:39:32

Really? How rude! I don't spend much time with royals so probably don't know what I'm talking about. grin

Flossyfloof Sat 09-Jan-16 16:42:21

Well I don't tbh but I know it's true because I read it in the paper.

BeckerLleytonNever Sat 09-Jan-16 17:23:02

agree with 70's and totally agree with you OP. that sounds where I live too.

and they get away with it because they CAN. the police don'tdo anything about anything here, its like theyre in fear of the feckers, were trying to move out, but the stretts disgusting with other peoples litter/drug needles/dirty nappies, food pachaging, etc, shouty cunty louts throwing beer bottles and cans all over the place, rude rude rude feckers that just look shocked if someone (me) sayd good morning or is polite (through gritted teeth).

I hate bus queue etiquette(none) where people come at last minute and push in front of you to get on bus, people on phones having loud conversations on them, kids on bikes or scooter scratching cars as they whiz by (never in front of theyre own houses), loud parties frequenbtly until the small hours ....

and breathe..... totally with you OP.

alsmutko Sat 09-Jan-16 19:01:04

Difficult to quantify isn't it? I mean, these sort of comments have been made for decades. Or longer.
'Kids nowadays' type comments have even been found in Ancient Greek type texts. I certainly remember as a child hearing adults moaning about mods and rockers, beatniks, hippies, skinheads, and all types of ethnic minorities.

On the other hand, people in the good old days felt at complete liberty to assault other people because they didn't look 100% heterosexual or because they were black, and many men felt it was completely normal to go down the pub, down 12 pints, come home and knock the missus about and get her pregnant for the 8th time. And yes of course these things still happen, but they are rather less acceptable.

So it's swings and roundabouts IMHO. Some things are rather better, some things worse. I think I'd rather be here now on the whole.

Curiocat Sat 09-Jan-16 19:47:36

I feel your pain OP. Live in London outskirts and feel like rudeness, violence, language, people gobbing, general aggressiveness etc are so common sad really gets me down too. My actual area is quite naice so not a prob on my street as such but on the way into the city I experience this shite daily too. Can't ask someone to move feet off seat etc without getting a mouthful. I fear for the next generation sad

katiekid Sat 09-Jan-16 20:33:55

yes it is because people have this "me me me" attitude and think its perfectly okay for them to make noise but if you complain about it you are unreasonable but then they complain they can hear you.
So they can hear you but you cant hear them.
Great logic some people have.

katiekid Sat 09-Jan-16 20:36:25

as someone said the police dont do anything nor do social landlords, i think this is the issue as people have realised nothing will happen to them no matter what they do before there was a "fear" of being evicted or arrested now the police pick and choose who they arrest and landlords dont give a toss as long as they get rent.

I live in london

amarmai Sat 09-Jan-16 21:16:54

sounds as if nastiness used to be taken out on selected groups, but now cannot get away with that as easily , so its dispersed at random and it's harder to catch them.

TheBouquets Sat 09-Jan-16 22:53:06

I think that all the bad driving habits are bad manners and a demand to get their own way. In streets I see people marking out their parking spots using their bins on non bin days and those who are determined to park despite the bins, knock over the bins and fail to put them upright again. It is all totally entitled behaviour, "I" want and "I" am having no matter what.

A less in manners would suit a lot of people.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 09-Jan-16 22:58:39

Erm....that's antisocial behavior confused

Tell you what Lynette we'll just let people walk about with these stupid handhelds because what they're reading on their screen is so much more important than consideration to other pavement users or people in shopping centres.

And if they knock into my elderly Mother and send her flying and breaking a bone.
What then?
"Oh dear that was clumsy. Did you scratch your screen"

Or shall I completely lose my marbles? And get a criminal record? Because I would see red and I would be physical.

Maybe..just maybe having me curse at them will make them realise that they cannot just billdoze their way through with their eyes on a screen and their ears covered.

My DC are not ever allowed to walk and screentime. They know the penalty is instant removal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now