nhs pension really worried

(11 Posts)
Flamingoblue1 Sat 09-Jan-16 12:21:00

Hi all need some help! I started a new job in NHS at new trust and got a letter today to be told they've enrolled me in pension scheme. However I am already in the pension and have been for 8 years. I worried as I left my old job and took just over 2 weeks unpaid leave and I'm worried that that's thrown me out of the old pension and forced me to take the new pension. I've heard you can take unpaid leave for up to three months before this happens but I'm panicking now. Anyone know the answer? I'm hoping it's just a formality letter from the new trust but I've never had this before when moving trust!

12purpleapples Sat 09-Jan-16 12:29:03

I thought it was three months also. Hopefully if you phone HR on Monday they will be able to clarify for you.

Flamingoblue1 Sat 09-Jan-16 12:30:47

Yes I hoping it's a courtesy letter as I'm in a new trust to let me know I'm automatically enrolled still!

Faye12345 Sat 09-Jan-16 13:02:32

I think its three months too and thats a courtesy letter x

Faye12345 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:19:34

Sorry forgot to add that happened to me and it was fine!

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 09-Jan-16 15:31:03

Your trust will have a pensions officer. - could you contact them for advice?

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 09-Jan-16 15:34:46

I dont think I ever got a letter to say I'm in the pension scheme. I know I'm it because I'm paying for it.

AnthonyBlanche Sat 09-Jan-16 15:39:35

Flamingo, if you're now employed by a different trust they will have automatically enrolled you back into NHS pension scheme. When you left your last job the Trust will have brought your membership of the scheme with them as an employer to an end.

You need to ask your pensions dept if you have retained membership of the old scheme or have been put into the new one.

Bodicea Sat 09-Jan-16 17:16:39

Didn't everyone have to go onto new scheme last April? I was on final salary and was automatically moved to career average from April x

londonrach Sat 09-Jan-16 18:52:58

Before joining the nhs x many years i worked in an office. On moving to the nhs i asked for them to buy my years from my office as the nhs in those years were final salary. I suggest you talk to the pensions officer and ask their advice whats best for you. From memory i could have my office and nhs persion separately but for me it made sense to have them added together. No idea if this suitable for you. Phone them up, they very helpful x

Becca19962014 Sat 09-Jan-16 19:45:51

The information about protection is here protection is tapered for the majority (as far as I can tell) and might be affected by you changing trusts. Your pensions rep can help with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now