SAHM: What "me time" do you give yourself? What do you do during that time?

(229 Posts)
SKLily Sat 09-Jan-16 12:07:39

I know some mothers that have full time live in help and they seemingly have all the "me time" in the world! I know I have more than the average SAHM but I was wondering about other people?
My "me time" is 2 hours at the gym daily (sometimes that includes Pilates or Yoga, or I spend time in the lounge/steam room. While son is at nursery or with dad on weekends).
Then 2-4 hours alone with my husband in the evenings and my morning lay-ins on weekends.
Once a week we get a sitter and have date night. About once a week I go to Urban Retreat just down the road to get waxed/manicured/massaged.

Luckily my husband works from home so as long as he doesn't have conference calls he can watch the kids for a few hours while I gym.

I can be a bit judgemental of the SAHMs that don't work and have full time help, but then again I know I get more than the average mum as well. It seems like they never see their children though! AIBU about this? I know it doesn't affect me but when they complain over the littlest things or say they're exhausted from shopping it gets on my nerves.

What do you guys do during your me time?

WorraLiberty Sat 09-Jan-16 12:11:24

I used to sit around the house, playing with my nipples.

I work part time now the kids are at senior school, and I miss my nipple time.

MaudGonneMad Sat 09-Jan-16 12:12:41

<grabs popcorn>

Alicewasinwonderland Sat 09-Jan-16 12:13:17

I don't understand your question, are you just happy to show off? Yes, you can afford childcare/ gym/ spa/ babysitters/ evening out? Well done you, you are wealthy, you have free time.

What do you want people to say? Oh poor you, you don't have a full time nanny? confused

I have absolutely no issue with SAHM, I just don't understand what the hell YOU are on about.

Luckystar1 Sat 09-Jan-16 12:15:06

My 'me time' is the 1.5 hours that DS naps and the 2 hours in the evening when he had gone to bed, but DH is there then.

That's it. I get very upset by it tbh. DH occasionally will take DS to the shops at the weekend or out for a walk, but that's usually an hour tops here and there (and I mean it has happened roughly 10 times max since DS was born 15 months ago).

WaitrosePigeon Sat 09-Jan-16 12:15:55

I can offer you a biscuit?

ManneryTowers Sat 09-Jan-16 12:16:08

Wow. That's a great amount of you time! I get a couple of hours one evening a week when I go trotting running. Two hours on a Saturday every six weeks to get in to town for a haircut and the odd snatched hour (like this morning) when DH takes DS on an errand. I've spent my 'me' time this morning vacuuming, de cluttering and having a 'working' shower (ie deep hair condition, de fuzz and home pedicure).
Your week sounds very luxurious in comparison!

AutumnLeavesArePretty Sat 09-Jan-16 12:16:10

You're not really a SAHM as you spend most of the time elsewhere, technically your unemployed living off another adult who pays for your every need.

Presumably still plenty of time to get bored though hence the posts ....

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 09-Jan-16 12:16:17

Arent you the poster who is asking for a Nanny for mornings so you can lie in til 11/1pm.?

Do you want more time away from your kids?

Whatdoidohelp Sat 09-Jan-16 12:19:10

You sound lazy, ungreatful and boasty.

You have money. You have HOURS everyday to yourself. Why are you even posting about this.

molyholy Sat 09-Jan-16 12:19:19

Bizarre boasty post. Not understanding your question. As pp said, you're hardly a sahm.

Bellejournee Sat 09-Jan-16 12:20:42

One hour on a Sunday morning for a run, then every six weeks at the hairdressers and an occasional lunch/dinner out with friends, which is approx once a month and can only be during the weekend whilst my husband can look after the children as we have zero help.

You're very, very lucky!

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Sat 09-Jan-16 12:21:02

Sorry, did PC Plum really just offer to teach me about the birds and the bees??

And I'm back in the room. ...what's going on here?

I'm off for some "me time" this afternoon but it's been hard earned in the park this morning. I'm not a SAHM though. In fact, I'm just blatantly placemarking

hobnobsaremyfave Sat 09-Jan-16 12:25:00

Oh come on read the op's other posts
Goady bollocks

SKLily Sat 09-Jan-16 12:26:06

Penny I adore the time I spend with my kids but the reason I needed help for school runs is that I can't get fully awake and it makes my son run late which isn't fair on him. That simple.

hobnobsaremyfave Sat 09-Jan-16 12:26:41

ODFOD

StealthPolarBear Sat 09-Jan-16 12:27:33

Me too worry. I used to just sit around playing with your nipples too

WorraLiberty Sat 09-Jan-16 12:27:56

Oh, I also used to spend 45 minutes per day trying not to think about penguins.

I failed miserably, and now I'm back at work I just don't feel as though I have the time.

SKLily Sat 09-Jan-16 12:28:04

I can be a bit judgemental of the SAHMs that don't work and have full time help, but then again I know I get more than the average mum as well. It seems like they never see their children though! AIBU about this? I know it doesn't affect me but when they complain over the littlest things or say they're exhausted from shopping it gets on my nerves.

Highlighted the question for those of you seemingly getting lost in other things...

ChefBell Sat 09-Jan-16 12:28:09

Good God! You're kidding, right? Very funny!

WatchedFrozenWayTooMuch Sat 09-Jan-16 12:28:44

Why have you said that other mums don't see their kids when you must barely see yours with all the sleeping and gym stuff you do? confused

WaitrosePigeon Sat 09-Jan-16 12:29:58

Penny I adore the time I spend with my kids but the reason I needed help for school runs is that I can't get fully awake and it makes my son run late which isn't fair on him. That simple.

Aww poor you.

You're not the only one, welcome to reality.

SKLily Sat 09-Jan-16 12:30:31

Autumn sorry, what allows you to believe I'm living off someone else? If you have an opinion you must be backing it up with some actual information right?? Not just fabricating ludicrous ideas, right?? Because you evidently know so much about my finances PLEASE enlighten me

PrinceHansOfTheTescoAisles Sat 09-Jan-16 12:30:35

It's OK Worra I spend hours every day trying not to think about running off with David Tennant but I fail too.

Rebecca2014 Sat 09-Jan-16 12:31:18

When I was a sahm, one hour a week while I had my driving lesson. So, yeah...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now