AIBU to Resell to a Cold Caller?

(13 Posts)
Leigh1980 Fri 08-Jan-16 19:46:35

Best way to get rid if a cold caller! After reading the threads about them and ideas to get rid of them. I devised the perfect plan!

I was called today by one and I said "Hi this is Leigh, I'm so glad you called as I was just about to call you" They were a telephone company like BT (Im not in UK) company.

I said "I'm so glad you called as I work for MTN (SA cell phone provider) and wanted to know if your company was interested in our business mobile deals?)

Of course I dont work for MTN but it was the first thing that came to mind!

They were most surprised and stuttered then apologised and put the phone down ASAP.! so do I win the award to get rid of cold callers ASAP? grin

eddielizzard Fri 08-Jan-16 19:48:30

haha fantastic! i must remember that.

carbsfoundme Fri 08-Jan-16 21:04:04

I like your style OP grin

However, I think you do secretly work for MTN and I have many complaints about them. Do you want me to list them here or shall I PM you? wink

Leigh1980 Fri 08-Jan-16 22:34:28

Lol Carbs, no unfortunately or shall I say fortunately I don't. I also have issues with them so feel your pain. They just kind of popped into my head when I got the call confused

AlisonWunderland Fri 08-Jan-16 22:36:55

If I'm in the mood, I've started asking cold callers for the correct password before I can talk to them.
No one has got it right yet...

Leigh1980 Fri 08-Jan-16 22:38:13

That's really funny Alison. They must get so confused 😂

thismumismad Sat 09-Jan-16 07:42:51

You can all of course get yourself registered with the Telephone Preference Service. Companies can get fines if they still call after you've been registered for a month. So the quickest way to get rid of callers is to say TPS they will fly off your line.
www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html

londonrach Sat 09-Jan-16 07:48:22

Thismum....doesnt work if phone calls are from abroad sadly. I just hang up, nothing said, just hang up. No point wasting their or my time.

CasperGutman Sat 09-Jan-16 08:28:32

I usually tell them I'm 12 years old and they need to speak to one of my parents, who isn't available right now. That works quickly and painlessly.

skinoncustard Sat 09-Jan-16 09:09:52

TPS-- absolutely useless ! I've been sworn at and laughed at in equal measure when quoting them to cold callers . The only thing that worked was the BT call guardian phone, best £50 I've ever spent . Had it since last Sept , not one cold call
Has got through . Love love love it smile,

skinoncustard Sat 09-Jan-16 09:12:43

No need for provider to be BT , we aren't. Only thing required is caller ID . Can't recommend it enough .

Dashie Sat 09-Jan-16 09:13:49

Thanks thismum, that took me all of 2 minutes.

OP I like your style! Good quick thinking there.

Leigh1980 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:22:57

Thanks everyone for your replies. I used to use TPS but still had callers coming through. I don't live in the UK anymore so can't register with them as we don't have it. I've unplugged house phone so only use mobile now so I can see who's calling which hopefully I can monitor incoming calls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now