The White Company do not have confidence in their convictions

(49 Posts)
Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:56:18

Their merchandise is not white!

Not even their newborn stuff!

And their girls range is the same old same old pastel pink glitter vomit.

Why even call yourselves 'the White Company' if you don't think white is marketable?!?

BikeRunSki Thu 07-Jan-16 19:59:59

Well they used to be all white.
They probably thought that 'The Pastel Pink Glitter Vomit Company' was a bit of a mouthful.

MuttonDressedAsMutton Thu 07-Jan-16 20:01:18

What exactly is your problem OP? When you say it's not white do you mean it's advertised as white but is actually blue? What do you mean?

NorthernLurker Thu 07-Jan-16 20:04:45

They sell quite a lot of white stuff. I love their kids clothes actually. I think white might be more of a state of mind really grin

Merguez Thu 07-Jan-16 20:05:23

Their bedding is mainly white, or off-whites and greys - that's what they started with.

The clothes came later and follow a very muted colour palette - it's part of their signature style.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 07-Jan-16 20:08:09

I've bought a lot from the white co over the years and I'd say there is still a lot of white and grey and pale pastel colours.

I manage to buy my DD quite a bit from there and am pretty sure she has no pink glitter vomit in her wardrobe - in fact her last skirt from there was dark grey cord and a pale grey jumper.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 07-Jan-16 20:09:32

I just looked at the new in baby stuff - seemed to be quite a lot of white stuff there??

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 07-Jan-16 20:16:49

I just had lovely white towels from them for Christmas. Mmmmmm. Soft.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 07-Jan-16 20:19:29

I just realised. The OP works for The White COmpany. Touche OP, I clicked.

xmasseason Thu 07-Jan-16 21:10:26

The clothes are nothing that you can't find elsewhere.

Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:12:01

Girls nightwear. not a single item that is actually white

Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:14:40

Baby boy the closest I can get is 'star trim' . Or an effing bear face.

I want white in really nice heavyweight material. Not woodland animals in same old baggy jersey that everyone does.

CurlsLDN Thu 07-Jan-16 21:17:21

Apple dont sell apples either, bastards

Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:19:16

And why do they stretch themselves from dressing gowns to cot linen to crockery to candles?

Are they a bijou Debehnams now?

OohMavis Thu 07-Jan-16 21:19:24

Am I seeing a different girls' nightwear section to you? It's all white.

Do you mean 'not a single item is plain'?

weebarra Thu 07-Jan-16 21:19:25

And fat face don't sell faces. I just bought DD a very nice navy cord skirt in the sale, not white, but not pink or glittery either.

Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:25:20

My view of the brand was that they had a very limited range of very high quality items made in white. If I want tasteful mass market I go to Boden John Lewis. But if I want the best damn plain white cotton romper..... I go to Tesco.

It might be mainly white - but then cider is mainly water. Doesn't make it a good substitute.

The whole point is that unfussy ultra-neutrals are nice.

trixymalixy Thu 07-Jan-16 21:28:01

hmm pretty much all that nightwear looks white to me?

Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:31:15

So you'd put a boy in it?

whirlybird42 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:33:15

I've fallen out with the White Company. They always ask for my postcode In store to send me their "best discounts". I've spent a chuffing fortune in there. I then realised that my friend who rarely buys anything receives £10 vouchers and decent discounts. I was getting poxy 10% discount cards on threshold spends.

So now I refuse to give my details at the till and it always starts a bloody debate. But if it gets me a better deal I don't care.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 07-Jan-16 21:35:30

I always get 20% discount because I have shopped there for so long and chat to the manager a lot.

Honestly there is a lot of white clothing there. But if you don't like it Stirling - umm shop somewhere else perhaps.

Stirling84 Thu 07-Jan-16 21:35:45

This is not white nor even neutral. It is pink and feminine in a very mainstream way. They don't have enough confidence in their brand identity to clearly differentiate from John Lewis.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Thu 07-Jan-16 21:36:30

I own a grey White Company dress. And a black one, come to that. They're very nice dresses though, so I let them off grin

BelindaBagwash Thu 07-Jan-16 21:37:01

I had always noticed an unpleasant smell in our local shopping centre and couldn't work out where it was coming from.

I ventured into The White Company the other day and it stinks!!!

Not sure if it's just this branch or if others have an unpleasant aroma - very weird and I'm not the only person to notice it, confused

trixymalixy Thu 07-Jan-16 21:37:07

I don't think they've ever claimed to be gender neutral hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now