to not know how to deal with this colleague?

(13 Posts)
LieslVonTrap Wed 06-Jan-16 19:04:19

I have had a new job since Sept (1 year rolling contract). I work with someone who is extremely hard to work with.

Before the Christmas holidays she was outrageously offensive and unpleasant. I felt I had to take it to a more senior colleague and she said I did the right thing and had 'a chat' with her.

She is being sooooo nice to me now and I feel so awkward. I was planning on being very cool and pleasant but no more, but now I am worried that I will look childish and petulant?

I desperately want to have my contract renewed (awkward colleague retires at Easter) so I can't afford to balls this up.

FlatOnTheHill Wed 06-Jan-16 19:14:08

What did the colleague do/say that was so bad and offensive?
Are you happy to let it go? As she has been spoken too and is now by the sounds of it trying to make amends and moving forward.
Why dont you be professional and adult and do the same?
Or was she that bad whatever she said/did is unforgivable.

M00nUnit Wed 06-Jan-16 19:17:38

If she's being nice to you now then that sounds like a good result to me!

LieslVonTrap Wed 06-Jan-16 19:22:13

It was awful. My other colleague described it as bullying. She was leaving me totally in the lurch, didn't pull her weight yet moaned about everything, and ended up screaming and yelling at me telling me I was unprofessional and incompetent, suggested that I got my job on the strength of my looks etc etc.

sonjadog Wed 06-Jan-16 19:22:46

Surely it is good thing that she is being nice to you? Was that not the result you wanted?!

Just be pleasant in tone. Treat her like any other colleague.

LieslVonTrap Wed 06-Jan-16 19:25:20

She feels overly nice... she's been buying me coffee and complimenting me constantly.

I just wanted to be pleasant but reserved.

FlatOnTheHill Wed 06-Jan-16 19:26:18

Blimey she sounds a right bastard.
Ok, keep it cool and polite. That is all you can do. You want this job at the end of the year. I know its hard and you prob dont even want to look at the woman but you dont want to come across as stropping off. Although you are within your rights to feel that way!
So just keep it cool, pleasant and polite...she will be gone soon.

LieslVonTrap Wed 06-Jan-16 19:27:36

I was honestly about to resign at one point. It was awful.

sonjadog Wed 06-Jan-16 19:29:23

She'll be gone in some weeks. Just stick a smile on and get on with it. Be pleasant but busy. Let go of the past.

PlopTheBarn0wl Wed 06-Jan-16 19:45:25

Watch your back. She may be trying to catch you out and then go whining to management saying she's been nothing but nice and you were rude/short etc with her.

Be pleasant but not much more. Make sure you are friendly to others too so if she says you are unfriendly etc then her view is the exception.

She sounds awful.

miakulpa Wed 06-Jan-16 20:58:33

She sounds very weird! Yes watch yourself, I'd be pleasant but keep a bit of distance if you can.

Shakey15000 Wed 06-Jan-16 21:03:13

It's such a hard balance isn't it?? I had the same in so far as, my colleague was a nasty cow but I had to try and be cool/professional/ignore as I relied on her to get to work (too convoluted to get into!) Thankfully I resigned. I have a general rule not to be friends on FB with any work colleagues. But after I left, I requested a few of them to stay in contact. But not her. It pleases me in an admitted childish way that she will be aware of this smile

LieslVonTrap Wed 06-Jan-16 21:34:45

That is exactly what I am worried about Plop.

It is such a hard balance, Shakey. I adore the job and the rest of my colleagues though. And it suits me so well logistically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now