to be annoyed about my blown up oven!

(5 Posts)
chuckieegg2008 Wed 06-Jan-16 18:58:55

So this morning my single oven door decided to blow up, shattered glass all over my kitchen floor. The oven hadn't been used since the night before.
Googled the problem and found four other occurrences with the same model.
Phoned the company they want me to pay to send an engineer out, no apology just passed between different people.
Phoned the shop where i bought it from they say because its 4 months out of guarantee they can't do anything.
Im getting more and more angry about the way I am been treated, surely a company should be worried about ovens blowing up, someone could be seriously hurt.

charlestonchaplin Wed 06-Jan-16 19:31:42

How long was it under guarantee? Typically guarantees are one or two years but the Sale of Goods Act says goods should last a reasonable amount of time, and most people expect an appliance costing hundreds of pounds to last more than two years. The Sale of Goods Act has recently been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but I'm sure that protection still remains.

The hassle free option is to pay for the engineer to come out but if you are sufficiently annoyed and have the time to pursue the case, you can write to the retailer (your contract is with them) arguing your case, taking it to the small claims court if necessary. (I doubt it would get that far before they settled, but it is not a good idea IMO, to make threats you can't follow through with. Of course, you wouldn't mention court to start off with.)

Fizzielove Wed 06-Jan-16 20:23:33

Are you in NI? I have a spare

OhWotIsItThisTime Wed 06-Jan-16 21:59:35

What brand is it?

Caboodle Wed 06-Jan-16 22:29:12

My SMEG did this. Bloody dangerous. I think we eventually got the glass for free but had to pay for fitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now