to just book a room for two adults

(71 Posts)
OnTheSunnySide Wed 06-Jan-16 14:28:39

even though I will have my 5 year old with me too.

DH and I are going to a wedding. It costs an extra £50 to get a room with a child (Presumably they put another bed in?) but there are double bedded rooms coming up and we would just put him in bed with us.

How does this work - will they be massively narky with us if I turn up with a 5 year old but have only paid for a room for two adults?

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:28

Just do it. If when you check in they query it, just say DH isnt staying - he is leaving during the evening reception.

Our hotel doesnt charge for rollaways nor breakfast for kids. Mental price hike!!

Only concern is would a double be big enough? King yes but a standard double?

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 06-Jan-16 14:36:17

Or just one of you go and check in while the other stays at the wedding with ds.

redskybynight Wed 06-Jan-16 14:48:09

You should check with the hotel first. It might be fine, but it might cause issues with e.g. fire insurance

spaceyboo Wed 06-Jan-16 14:53:47

You might be getting something for that £50 that you might not otherwise? for example - Some hotels give you non-adjoining better/bigger rooms on lower floors if you tell them you have kids. You might want to check.

bloodyteenagers Wed 06-Jan-16 15:10:27

You will be still charged unless you are going to sneak the child in

LurkingHusband Wed 06-Jan-16 15:13:50

Do some UK hotels still charge per person rather than per room ?

Skippedthelightfandango Wed 06-Jan-16 15:14:10

Why is shoplifting wrong? Why shouldn't I mug old ladies? This as well as "sneaking" in a child is still a crime as far as I am concerned. Not sure why anyone thinks its acceptable.

Quite possibly a small business trying to make a living. Even if it is a chain its still wrong.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 06-Jan-16 15:14:30

The danger is that, if there were a fire, or other type incident, no-one would know to check that three people had left that particular room. They'd only be looking for two.

If you're happy with that risk, and with smuggling DS in and out of reception each time you pass through, and with genereally just being dishonnest, then crack on.

Better to query the charge with the hotel and tell them that DS will use your bed, so no extra laundry, and that you'll pay for any food heads if and when he eats any.

Boosiehs Wed 06-Jan-16 15:17:39

You will find a total MN outrage in here somewhere. Accusing you of stealing etc and other rot.

I do it all the time. No one has ever questioned me taking DS into the hotel room. He's 2.

It's also not stealing or any other kind of criminal offence. At the very most it's a minor breach of contract between you and the hotel.

Boosiehs Wed 06-Jan-16 15:18:15

Oh and never been charged for him.

HortonWho Wed 06-Jan-16 15:19:12

There are fire regulations so you need a room X size in order to fit in another bed. No you cannot just have 3 people to a room - that's why you have double room at single occupancy rates - it does matter how many in a room.

Skippedthelightfandango Wed 06-Jan-16 15:19:17

I think you might find it is theft actually - but that aside someone has to pay the overheads for that room and you shouldn't cheat

Janeymoo50 Wed 06-Jan-16 15:19:21

I don't get this. You're paying for accommodation for him unless it says free child in room with two adults, that's the heating, warmth, shelter, water etc you get in a hotel room. If you ran a business would you be ok with people smuggling in others to avoid paying?

Branleuse Wed 06-Jan-16 15:20:31

id do it smile

#morallybankrupt

LurkingHusband Wed 06-Jan-16 15:20:55

Why is shoplifting wrong? Why shouldn't I mug old ladies? This as well as "sneaking" in a child is still a crime as far as I am concerned.

Well shoplifting and muggings are against the law as defined by parliament. Not adhering to a hotels T&Cs has yet to be declared a criminal offence. So I guess that's a "difference".

With the greatest possible respect, you sound a tad confused

OnTheSunnySide Wed 06-Jan-16 15:21:13

Wow.

I probably won't get a room at all anyway as can't afford it really.

As much as I agree that 'shoplifting is wrong' I also think it's a blinking liberty to charge £50 extra for the same room for a 5 year old when I could have the exact same room for just me and him for £50.

Fire safety issue noted though.

Mumsnet I love you (and AIBU) to death but you don't half make me laugh sometimes.

OnTheSunnySide Wed 06-Jan-16 15:21:51

intrigued though - what's a 'food head'?

Janeymoo50 Wed 06-Jan-16 15:22:13

Not sure "minor breach of contract" is a legal term!! Be interesting to see what would happen to people who do/did this who then got sick at the hotel or the child had a slip and was injured due to hotel negligence, I bet sure as hell the' want him on "the books" then.

Boosiehs Wed 06-Jan-16 15:22:17

No, it is not theft.

Theft is the removing of an object belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive.

Adding an extra person to a room is only a breach of the contract you agreed to when you booked the room (I.e maximum occupancy).

I doubt the police would turn up if the hotel tried to claim you has acted criminally in bringing a child into the room.

splendide Wed 06-Jan-16 15:25:05

It might be trespass I suppose. Certainly not theft.

CustardOmlet Wed 06-Jan-16 15:25:18

This topic is starting to join the parent and child parking theme. It's been debated dozens of times before sand the conclusion is you do it at your own risk.

splendide Wed 06-Jan-16 15:25:56

If a child was injured due to the hotel's negligence then whether or not he was "on the books" would make no difference.

AlbusPercival Wed 06-Jan-16 15:26:13

Fire safety issue doesn't make sense, how would the hotel/ fire brigade know who is at the hotel. They could be out clubbing etc?

What if you met someone out and bought them back to hotel for ONS?

OnTheSunnySide Wed 06-Jan-16 15:33:29

"It's been debated dozens of times before"

should have done a search.

Sorry.

Also should have, well, should have just known... ha ha.

So some people would, some people wouldn't. Some people think the some people who would might kill their own child. usual standard stuff then. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now