Etiquette with toiletries in a hotel

(199 Posts)
Holidayornot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:27:41

AIBU to pocket them?

I've been lucky enough to stay somewhere pretty naice for last few days and they have fancy assed brand name full size toiletries. My husband says it's not on to pocket them every day but I think it is. What's the etiquette?

MuddhaOfSuburbia Wed 06-Jan-16 14:28:38

take em

hesterton Wed 06-Jan-16 14:29:17

The mini ones I pocket but not full size ones.

Thistledew Wed 06-Jan-16 14:29:22

Small, single use ones- fine to take away.

Full size ones - fine to take if you are happy to pay what the hotel will charge for them. Not fine if you are expecting a freebie.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 06-Jan-16 14:29:35

Full sized - no.
Mini - yes.

If you are staying a few nights, ask if you are allowed to take the bottles away when you leave.

Or look in the in room book (info type book) and see whether it us mentioned.

Queenbean Wed 06-Jan-16 14:29:36

Take what you need but don't be all Ross about it

"Salt shaker..... No no no
But the salt...... Yes yes yes!"

ginmakesitallok Wed 06-Jan-16 14:30:38

Full sized? And you're expecting them renewed everyday? I'd take the mini ones at end of stay, but not full sized ones, and certainly wouldn't take them daily! I'm with your husband on this.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 06-Jan-16 14:31:24

At least one MNer was billed (a substantial amount) for taking full size toiletries home; they were in some sort of posh container, and refillable.

expatinscotland Wed 06-Jan-16 14:31:30

Erm, no. Leave the full-sized ones.

Gruntfuttock Wed 06-Jan-16 14:32:47

I agree that it's wrong to take the full sized ones. I even worry about whether I should take the mini ones.

Holidayornot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:33:49

These aren't in a posh container and they've been replenished every day we've been here.
I genuinely thought it was a perk of a fancy place that you got to take the toiletries.
I've gone down to sort out bill for extras (paid room in advance) and nothing said about toiletries.
Am I really being unreasonable?
If it matter, they're charging a pretty penny.

DotForShort Wed 06-Jan-16 14:34:26

Full-sized toiletries? Certainly not.

The mini ones are fair game though. Most hotels expect guests to take them if they so desire.

Holidayornot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:19

If it matters I meant. We didn't pay for room, but are paying for everything else, so maybe I'm being a bit too free and easy.

Epilepsyhelp Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:39

Well it sounds like you've done it now! I wouldn't have had the nerve to take full size ones but I guess they will factor it into the price of they're replacing every day with no comment.

Holidayornot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:54

Ok. Looks like I am being unreasonable.
Why do they leave out full size so?

ginmakesitallok Wed 06-Jan-16 14:36:31

How many days are you staying? How many bottles are you planning on taking? (For gods sake don't take the bathrobes! )

ginmakesitallok Wed 06-Jan-16 14:37:16

So you've got enough for your stay and they don't need replaced?

expatinscotland Wed 06-Jan-16 14:37:44

I can't believe anyone would think they could just take them. Really?

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 06-Jan-16 14:37:45

There was a thread about this, several years ago.

The woman in question received a bill.

Just saying....................

Holidayornot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:38:06

I'm feeling a bit cheeky now. I always thought it was fine. Sort of saw them like the biscuits that are left out.
Won't do it again.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 06-Jan-16 14:38:17

They dont replace full sized ones they top them up grin

MooseAndSquirrel Wed 06-Jan-16 14:39:39

Id be taking them - perk of nice hotels I am a bit ross in hotels though

Holidayornot Wed 06-Jan-16 14:40:00

They definitely replaced these. They couldn't be topped up. They're not in any sort of permanent packaging etc

ginmakesitallok Wed 06-Jan-16 14:42:00

So, how many bottles were you planning on taking? And if you're not taking them now, are you just going to leave them in a row on the bath?

spaceyboo Wed 06-Jan-16 14:42:55

It depends on the hotel really. I stayed in a really nice 5 star recently that expected the guests to take away full sized toiltetries (they were L'Occitane). Just check with the cleaners, they'll tell you if it's not okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now