to ask my neighbours if I can use their shower?

(123 Posts)
ClaraSilver Tue 05-Jan-16 19:08:22

Having our bathroom done soon (at last - woop). Ours will be out of action for at least a week, so is it ok to ask my neighbours to use theirs or is that just weird? Neighbours are good friends, known each other for a while, we help each other out in lots of ways but not sure if they will feel comfortable with me getting naked in their horse.

I think I'd be ok if it was the other way round and they needed to use ours but worried it's a bit cheeky. Just don't fancy having to go all the way to MILs.

GloriaHotcakes Tue 05-Jan-16 19:09:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

duckbilled Tue 05-Jan-16 19:10:37

I wouldn't want you naked in my house, neigh way....

BifsWif Tue 05-Jan-16 19:11:03

I wouldn't ask. Maybe casually mention that your bathroom is out of action and see if they offer, but don't ask outright.

infife Tue 05-Jan-16 19:11:25

I wouldn't have a problem with it. You're hardly going to be parading round naked, presumably you'll getting undressed and showering and getting dressed within a locked bathroom.

If we're going to assume that's parading round naked, then surely going for a wee at a friend's is essentially getting your tuppence out for all to see?

Needs must!

mudandmayhem01 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:13:13

Could you just go to a gym ( you can often get a weeks cheap pass on the pretense of considering joining if you aren't in a gym already, or use a council leisure centre ) or have a strip wash, I think that it could put someone in an awkward position, I would probably yes but be annoyed as I would feel compelled to deep clean the bathroom and make sure no pants were drying above the bath etc.

toffeeboffin Tue 05-Jan-16 19:14:26

Too weird.

KitKatCustard Tue 05-Jan-16 19:14:36

My neighbour once texted me while I was at work to ask if she could use my shower...she'd just got some hair dye on when her shower broke.
Of course I said yes!

I'd let my neighbour use my shower in your circumstances. Reversed and I'd pay for the hot water (esp if on a meter) and give a large bunch of flowers or something as a thank you.

BumWad Tue 05-Jan-16 19:15:45

Nah

BumWad Tue 05-Jan-16 19:16:10

Bucket bath is your friend...

Arfarfanarf Tue 05-Jan-16 19:16:53

If you were my neighbour and we were friendly I'd say yes.

HighwayDragon1 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:17:26

Go swimming instead.

Unthoughtknown Tue 05-Jan-16 19:18:11

I don't understand why this is weird if you're friendly? Small thank you present, job done

JessicasRabbit Tue 05-Jan-16 19:21:24

I'd say yes if you were my neighbour. If you know them well you should ask.

SuckingEggs Tue 05-Jan-16 19:24:14

Blimey, what's the big deal? We had a similar issue – I went round, had a shower, washed my hair quickly and dressed in the bathroom, then left and dried my hair at home. They were fine about it. Gave them some chocs, but they insisted they needed no thanks.

Bubbletree4 Tue 05-Jan-16 19:26:32

I think it's not really the done thing. I would also shower at any other place I could - gym/swimming pool, that sort of thing. Or just wash hair in sink and wash body with flannel.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 05-Jan-16 19:27:29

Oh I would hate my neighbours to ask me this because my bathroom is very shabby blush

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Tue 05-Jan-16 19:28:36

But I wouldn't say no if they did.

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Jan-16 19:28:39

My neighbour offered when we had ours done.

RainbowSpiral Tue 05-Jan-16 19:30:35

I'd ask my neighbour, but only the one I am friends with, not just any neighbour. She would not mind, but I do pop in for coffee several times a month and have used her loo (which is her bathroom).

BackInTheRealWorld Tue 05-Jan-16 19:31:04

My neighbours boiler broke down, I had the whole family in for showers!

ClaraSilver Tue 05-Jan-16 19:31:12

Horse?

I'm more fussed about doing my hair so sink/bucket bath will be tricky. Can go to the leisure centre but got a shedload of work to do so won't have time to do that everyday.

We're v friendly - but they're so nice I'm worried they'll say yes even if they'd rather not. Mudandmayhem - yes, exactly! I'd be doing that too if someone asked me, major clean and removal of pants.

Haven't made my mind up yet.

FuckYouChrisAndThatHorse Tue 05-Jan-16 19:31:15

I don't think I'd want you naked in my horse.

But I'd let you use my shower.

grin

Best typo ever

PegsPigs Tue 05-Jan-16 19:32:09

Our neighbours gave us a key to their house when our boiler broke and we had no hot water. YANBU to ask.

icklekid Tue 05-Jan-16 19:33:01

I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe mention having no bathroom and see if they offer if your worried of causing offence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now