to think children should be randomly reallocated at birth?

(308 Posts)
AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:17:20

I think this would solve a lot of problems.

For instance, I have a tendency to experience anxiety. My DC therefore both inherit my anxiety genes and also learn from my anxious behaviours (even if I try to minimise this) - a double whammy. If they had been reallocated to someone else, and I had been allocated someone else's biological DC (perhaps with a genetic tendency to feel angry, say; something I suffer less often), this might potentially all get ironed out.

OK, so there are some potential problems with the scheme. But AIBU to think it might have its advantages?

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 05-Jan-16 11:18:26

What? confused

Krampus Tue 05-Jan-16 11:19:48

It would be one way to reduce population levels. We would all stop breeding because we would have no idea who would raise our children grin

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Jan-16 11:19:55

'Anxiety genes'?

'Genetic tendency to feel angry'? confused

So nothing to do with learned behaviour then?

starsshineinthecountry Tue 05-Jan-16 11:20:34

Donor eggs? smile

HeadDreamer Tue 05-Jan-16 11:20:41

YABVU. And you know it. I want to keep my own children, thank you very much. I'm sure most want to and that's why so many tried desparately for their own biological children.

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:21:16

So nothing to do with learned behaviour then?

Both genes and learning environment influence these things. Which is precisely my point. When you bring up your own children, they often get a double whammy.

goodnightdarthvader1 Tue 05-Jan-16 11:21:37

What about genetic diseases that aren't MH related? How will relocating children help?

CarbonEmittingPenguin Tue 05-Jan-16 11:21:50

You think there might be "some potential problems" with reallocating people's children! hmm

RubbleBubble00 Tue 05-Jan-16 11:22:04

Lol I'm sure someone would love my boys with adhd (inherited from their father)

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:22:06

It would be one way to reduce population levels.

Yes. Might make us all less competitive and territorial, too.

Worth considering, I think.

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Tue 05-Jan-16 11:22:21

You need to think it through a bit more. Focus on the "some potential problems with the scheme".

Birdsgottafly Tue 05-Jan-16 11:23:08

Surely by that reasoning, it's better to be aware that there might be a genetic issue.

And of course the whole Human need to love and care for the child you've carried (and your BM is geared for), for nine months.

You aren't giving away kittens.

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:23:21

Ah, no scheme is without problems...

OTheHugeManatee Tue 05-Jan-16 11:23:23

confused

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Tue 05-Jan-16 11:24:17

Just because you have got 'problems' doesn't mean the rest of us have!! hmm.

Yabvu

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:24:22

So, do you think people love their adopted children less than their biological ones?

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:25:09

MumOn, show me these magical people who don't "have problems", then...

Sunnybitch Tue 05-Jan-16 11:25:34

WTAF!

Birdsgottafly Tue 05-Jan-16 11:25:34

Also, no-one would have PR accept the State (all child laws would have to be re-written) and State controlled Human Rights/Welfare never seems to go well, I'm thinking China, Germany, Eastern Block, Korea.

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Tue 05-Jan-16 11:26:14

My example was exactly that - an example. Everyone (IMO) will have some sort of equivalent, even if they are not aware of it. I'm sure there are many more examples for me, too.

BeBesideTheSea Tue 05-Jan-16 11:26:15

It's a lighthearted musing not a manifesto promise.

FFS.

(or "fish" as my autocorrect would prefer)

Jjou Tue 05-Jan-16 11:26:35

grin OP that is spectacularly bonkers, but would make a good novel. Get writing!

MrsAxewound Tue 05-Jan-16 11:26:53

*opens thread
*sees level of batshit cray
*walks away slowly

confused

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 05-Jan-16 11:27:04

Uh no. Would you seriously accept your children being removed from you at birth or you having been removed from your parents?

If you really think this is a good idea, I think you need therapy of some sort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now