To have Rasta mouse party?

(21 Posts)
Aliceinbogna Sun 03-Jan-16 09:11:25

This is what DS wants but the show is a little controversial, right? And we are not Jamaican.

What would you think if your dc were invited to one of these?

What sort of thing can we do to fit the theme?

Jamaican flag bunting, character toppers...

SurferJet Sun 03-Jan-16 09:13:41

I'd think 'so last century'
Hasn't RM been out about 5 years? - it's defo passed its prime anyway grin

EugenesAxe Sun 03-Jan-16 09:16:44

I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 03-Jan-16 09:17:30

How old is the ds?

I would think harmless fun for under 5s.

Along the lines of Thomas train party, snowman party, yet-another-frozen party...

Haven't seen the show for a few years, but didn't they have roller skates?

And eat cheese sandwiches?

mudandmayhem01 Sun 03-Jan-16 09:18:27

It would be very cute, we used love Rasta mouse ( ds is way to old but I bet if I got it up on I player he would still love it) and Jamaican food is fantastic.

theycallmemellojello Sun 03-Jan-16 09:19:35

Hm, I think it is fine in theory but there is scope for offending guests or their families so personally I prob wouldn't. Can you steer him to another theme?

Aliceinbogna Sun 03-Jan-16 09:19:36

No to roller skates! Yes to cheese sandwiches! We also love Barney the dinosaur here, so stuck in the past!

Aliceinbogna Sun 03-Jan-16 09:20:36

Yes, maybe. It would be tastefully done.

Badbadtromance Sun 03-Jan-16 09:26:07

I'd steer clear. High risk of offending

notquitehuman Sun 03-Jan-16 10:48:14

As long as nobody blacks up or wears one of those 'comedy' dreadlock wigs you should be ok. Maybe provide mouse ears for the kids? Focus more on the mouse aspect than the Rasta theme.

TheHouseOnTheLane Sun 03-Jan-16 10:50:16

Why is it potentially offensive? Can't grasp that.

Is it like having "Catholic Croc" or something? Because Rastafari is a religion?

I think it sounds good.

Grilledaubergines Sun 03-Jan-16 10:55:44

I'd go, sounds good! It's a party based on a childrens' programme FFS, not on the same level as Prince Harry's fancy dress choices!

thickgit Sun 03-Jan-16 11:29:58

If you're sensible, it will be fine.

Somethingisntactuallyanything Sun 03-Jan-16 18:20:35

I think you'd be setting yourself up for potential major embarrassment!! I would steer well clear, if I were you

PuntasticUsername Sun 03-Jan-16 18:24:00

I think this is a discusting piece of cultural appropriation and I will be writing a VERY strongly worded letter to the Daily Fail forthwith. Better get your sadface good and ready OP.

*KIDDING, obviously.

xmasseason Sun 03-Jan-16 19:11:35

I'd assume it was your DS' favourite programme and wouldn't have any other preconceptions.

Branleuse Sun 03-Jan-16 19:17:32

I think its very possible to overthink these things.

If youre worried, how about just a rastamouse cake or merchandise, but dont get everyone to appropriate mouse culture

bearleftmonkeyright Sun 03-Jan-16 19:18:13

Rastamouse is fab, I would get the kids to make mouse ears maybe.

Fratelli Mon 04-Jan-16 06:43:24

I think if anyone gets offended that's their issue! Your ds should get the party he wants, it's a kids tv show fgs.

DyslexicScientist Mon 04-Jan-16 07:50:58

I wouldn't, I know someone offended by it.

MLGs Mon 04-Jan-16 07:51:22

DS loves Raa Raa which isn't even on any more. So don't worry about being outdated...

I don't think it's controversial, I think it's fine. Rasta mouse is lovely. The way they make something good out of people's problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now