Ebayer using my pictures

(63 Posts)
justkeepongoing Sun 03-Jan-16 07:45:13

To be brief, sold some shoes on eBay at the end of last year. Got a good fair price and great feedback for them. This morning I've seen them re listed, nothing wrong in that, but using my original pictures. The seller obviously has two accounts for buying and selling. The 'back story' to the shoes has been embroidered too! This may sound petty of me but I feel annoyed that they've used my pictures, taken with shoes on my chair in my home. What are pps opinions of this?

CadleCrap Sun 03-Jan-16 07:47:01

The shoes have a backstory! Are they being sold on a featish page?

gamerchick Sun 03-Jan-16 07:50:51

Report the photos?

Meercat2 Sun 03-Jan-16 07:51:11

Shoes with a back story. What have they been doing? Please tell us more. Oh, and picture please

NickNacks Sun 03-Jan-16 07:57:55

Embellished?

justkeepongoing Sun 03-Jan-16 07:58:46

Sorry 'back story' sounds cryptic doesn't it? Ebayer alluded that they'd had them from new ( I sold them as not worn).They're quite distinctive lk Bennett shoes and I just feel peed off at them using my pics without permission. Is there something in eBay regs and rules to prevent this?

SavoyCabbage Sun 03-Jan-16 07:59:01

How do you know they are your shoes? Your former shoes I mean.

Perhaps she couldn't take a picture of the shoes she was selling so looked on google images, found your picture and used that. I used someone else's picture of an ikea toddler bed I was selling as I didn't have time to put it In the three positions it can go in.

BrendaandEddie Sun 03-Jan-16 07:59:21

Who cares. It's not high art

scarlets Sun 03-Jan-16 08:04:39

Don't worry about it.

justkeepongoing Sun 03-Jan-16 08:05:11

Only asking advice Bren!

Savoy seller from same town as sold to could be a coincidence, I do realise this. Just taken a little aback this morning when having an eBay browse.

PrussianPrue Sun 03-Jan-16 08:09:19

I don't really understand why this matters - I'm not trying to be patronising. If you were modelling the shoes I would get it but not really if it's just a pair of shoes and your kitchen floor.

greengreenten Sun 03-Jan-16 08:10:51

Interesting question and I'm sure eBay pages online will have the answer.
Don't sweat it, you sold them, got paid, they're selling them on.

justkeepongoing Sun 03-Jan-16 08:12:31

Ok ladies, thanks for feedback. I'll get over it! 😁

We3KingyOfOblomovAre Sun 03-Jan-16 08:20:28

This wouldn't bother me.
Normally I take photos, but if you can't/haven't, where are you supposed to get a photo from?
I'm sure Ebay has pages of rules about this though!

Pipistrella Sun 03-Jan-16 08:24:46

No no NO this is not OK.

Ebay will pull the listing if you report it. They will not say who reported it. There is a link on the listing saying 'report this listing'.

Do it.

It's bad practice and the more people get stopped from doing it the better.

The reason it matters is that it's dishonest. Full stop.

DyslexicScientist Sun 03-Jan-16 08:31:33

What are you looking for?

If you were a pro photographer you'd get a tiny amount for usuage.

justkeepongoing Sun 03-Jan-16 08:32:00

Tbh Pipistrella that's how I feel. Nothing wrong with them reselling but I would have been honest and stated that they were previously bought from eBay and found to be unsuitable so decided to sell on.

justkeepongoing Sun 03-Jan-16 08:35:57

Dyslexic this isn't about the quality of my photography skills or lack thereof! I'm obviously not a professional photographer!

Pipistrella Sun 03-Jan-16 08:37:20

Everyne's missing the point. They aren't the other person's photos. They belong to the OP, they show her home, her shoes in the condition they were in last year.

Chances are they aren't exactly the same now and it is wrong to use soemone else's efforts to take a short cut on the work you have to do yourself, to sell an item.

It's lazy, it's dishonest (especially given the embellishment in the description) and it's unfair, and if I wouldn't do it, then I don't want someone else to do it.

It's basically cheating.

Ebay does have rules about it. So report.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Sun 03-Jan-16 08:39:04

Don't EBay have rules that are meant to prevent people from doing this?

I'm sure it's come up here before and EBay have removed the listing.

Pipistrella Sun 03-Jan-16 08:39:32

What if everyone just stole one person's photos for an item, for ever? Like, Oh, she's taken some really good pictures of that pushchair, let's all use them too.

How is that fair?

However bad you are at taking them, your photos are part of your selling effort and they take time and energy, and in some cases, talent and practise, to create.

Using them when you didn't do all that is stealing someone's time, someone else's hard work.

it's crap.

Pipistrella Sun 03-Jan-16 08:40:16

and I bet you wouldn't accept it in an exam context!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Sun 03-Jan-16 08:43:05

I've had people do the same to me and I have also used other people's photos, so it's hard to get too animated about it personally. However I am pretty sure it's against eBay rules so I agree with teporting.

MsJamieFraser Sun 03-Jan-16 08:56:19

non issue really, its a pair of shoes, of a picture that you posted on a public selling page.

ButtonMoon88 Sun 03-Jan-16 09:00:21

It's really not the end of the world but if it is playing on your mind enough to ask for advice on here then you need to report it to eBay. They may or may not do anything about it but then you have done all you can at least

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now