Tipping porter in block of flats

(12 Posts)
Kazziepooes Sat 02-Jan-16 23:44:41

Hi all,

I've moved to a portered block of flats (not as posh as it sounds!) and wonder if anyone can tell me if they think tipping the porter at Christmas is the norm? I've been away on business for a while so not been there to tip the porter yet, but it occurred to me.

Is £5/10 enough?

Thank you for taking time to read this! & I would welcome any replies.

MotherofFlagons Sat 02-Jan-16 23:53:10

I lived in a block with a porter once and gave them a box of sweets at Christmas. Other people in the block did similar.

mynameiscalypso Sat 02-Jan-16 23:53:31

We give the main porter £50 at Christmas because he does a lot of useful things for us (letting workmen in, bringing up parcels etc). There are a couple of other night/weekend porters too and we usually give them £20 when we see them although we have much less interaction with them.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 03-Jan-16 02:54:31

When we had a porter I found out his favourite tipple and bought him a bottle for Christmas.

DyslexicScientist Sun 03-Jan-16 07:43:19

I think anything less than 50 would be pretty insulting.

A thoughtful gift would be nice

jay55 Sun 03-Jan-16 09:29:06

My last place I gave a bottle and card. Not done anything this year as I only just moved in and there are 5 or 6 of them.

bimbobaggins Sun 03-Jan-16 09:31:59

I Think £20 would be. Good round number if you coud afford that

MrsBertMacklin Sun 03-Jan-16 09:37:12

I used to manage porters and concierge. Cash, sweets or alcohol were the norm. £10-£50 was the range, depending on the demographic of the building.

Personally, I would recommend cash in a card, my porters would be swimming in whisky at Christmas time, cash is much more welcome.

whois Sun 03-Jan-16 11:56:41

Cash in a card - amount depends on how many there are and how much they do for you.

£5 seems a bit tight but you do say you've only recently moved in.

ItsANewDayToday Sun 03-Jan-16 12:15:11

It depends on what he does, where you live, what you can afford and how big the flats are. I would try to be as generous as possible as he is probably working for a low wage and would appreciate a little extra cash. Any amount is OK but I'd probably aim for a minimum of £10. (£20 would be nicer though)

vulgarbunting Sun 03-Jan-16 12:28:38

I have just given chocolates and a card. Feeling a bit guilty now!

Kazziepooes Sun 03-Jan-16 17:09:58

Thank you all for ending my quandary!

Much appreciated!

Vulgarbunting - don't feel guilty! At least you got the gift to them in atimely manner & contrary to what others may say, it's the thought that counts!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now