To skim one off the top of each packet...

(63 Posts)
Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:15:52

I have a fridge full of THE MOST DELICIOUS deli items for transportation to my lovely friend's house tomorrow. It is all my favourite things. Salamis, cheeses, olives, smoked salmon.

Just one of each thing RIGHT NOW would be ok, yeah?

pleading

Ludoole Wed 30-Dec-15 18:17:37

I dont like odd numbers so think you should have 2 of each would make me feel happier grin

Pixa Wed 30-Dec-15 18:17:51

Of course. It wouldn't be right for you to take it and not test it before hand.

fgrin

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:19:11

TESTING IT! I like your thinking Pixa. Like a Health and Safety audit?

Hmm, yes...odd numbers are bad....

QuizteamBleakley Wed 30-Dec-15 18:19:55

Oh yes, making sure you have got the correct foodstuffs is v important. Test the wine, too.

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:22:33

narrows eyes at Quiz

The wine?

And you're sure that won't lead to me finding myself asleep on the sofa covered in bits of empty greaseproof paper?

Sunnybitch Wed 30-Dec-15 18:23:04

You would be a terrible friend, if you did not check that this food was safe for human consumption op!

HermioneWeasley Wed 30-Dec-15 18:25:58

If it wouldn't be obvious, then go for it!

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 30-Dec-15 18:28:52

And you're sure that won't lead to me finding myself asleep on the sofa covered in bits of empty greaseproof paper? Then you will know that the items were 'defective' and have saved your friends a lot of trouble.

Andrewofgg Wed 30-Dec-15 18:29:39

Do you need a second opinion about any of these treats?

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:30:57

Ah, of course MrsTP. Like poisonous or something?

I think skimming would only be obvious if I then didn't have any self control.

Ahem.

looks at floor

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:32:10

Andrew, I think second opinions are always to be encouraged.

I'm no expert, after all.

MaisieDotes Wed 30-Dec-15 18:32:46

Part of my present from DD this year was a small box of Celebrations. The little cardboard tabs on the side had been secured with lovely Christmas sellotape.

When I pointed this out to her she said it was because she had accidentally stood on them and burst the box grin

Hmmm.

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:35:19

Maisie's DD - I believe you

diddl Wed 30-Dec-15 18:39:00

" she had accidentally stood on them and burst the box"

Well then of course she had to check for and eat remove any squashed chocs.

LyndaNotLinda Wed 30-Dec-15 18:40:49

Your role is clearly that of quality control. Small sample would be helpful, not hindering

QuizteamBleakley Wed 30-Dec-15 18:42:00

Perhaps you should open a red and a white, to ensure correct food and wine pairings. Personally, I found that the 2009 Chateauneuf Du Pape was outstanding with half a tube of Pringles and a handful of Celebrations.

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:45:09

Quiz - are you SURE you know what you are talking about? I mean, it sounds like it makes sense, but I just...I don't know...is there a downside?

BitOutOfPractice Wed 30-Dec-15 18:46:22

Oh yes. All items must be tested for quality control purposes.

I mean, can you imagine your mortification if you got to your friend's and things weren't up to your exacting standards

She might start a thread on MN about it! Then how would you ever live the shame down?

No, best not risk it. The only way to to save your friendship and social standing in the community is to scoff the lot test them.

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:48:25

'arf at social standing Bit

So you think eat the lot, just to be sure...

TheSkiingGardener Wed 30-Dec-15 18:48:38

The remaining Laurent Perrier went down beautifully last night with the last of the twiglets and the few after eights left.

Obviously this means you only nibble stuff when you drink alcohol so it would obviously help you out.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 30-Dec-15 18:52:10

Just to be absolutely sure yes. Because are you prepared to take the risk that the ones you skim off the top are OK, but the ones at the bottom are dodgy and you - yes you - with your shoddy testing techniques, let them slip throughthe net. Don't be that person tomorrow Cold <Daily Mail sad face>

Goingtobeawesome Wed 30-Dec-15 18:55:09

Eat the lot and buy more on the way there grin.

Coldlightofday Wed 30-Dec-15 18:56:01

Oh god.Bit you are SO right.

Now, there is actually quite a lot of stuff...so, anyone fancy popping over to help?

grin

BitOutOfPractice Wed 30-Dec-15 19:00:48

I'll be there in 10. Only, just so as you understand, in the interests of food quality standards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now