To start a non materialistic, good things about christmas thread

(21 Posts)
Dancingqueen17 Sun 27-Dec-15 21:55:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharleyDavidson Sun 27-Dec-15 21:58:40

Last year was difficult because Ddad was ill. We didn't know how ill then and we lost him in Nov to cancer. This Christmas was the first without him. Mum decided she wanted to still host dinner, with the help of Dsis who lives at home still. They did a good spread and it was lovely for me to be able to tell Mum that Dad would have been proud of how she'd coped and with the dinner she'd put on for the family.

Pilgit Sun 27-Dec-15 22:17:06

Playing games with the DDs. Everyone bundling into our bed for stocking opening on Christmas morning. Doing craft stuff with DD and nephew in the run up to Christmas. I'm ill this year (heart problem) so I'm really enjoying the lack of expectations to be anywhere or do anything (makes a massive change).

TheCrazyDuchess Sun 27-Dec-15 22:20:03

My baby got a second hand mobile with a free payg sim - and one of my texts from her was that I "made her heart smile"

We didn't have Xmas dinner and the last year has been truly horrible. .... that really made my day!

FlatOnTheHill Sun 27-Dec-15 22:22:14

Health and happiness are key.

ToriaPumpkin Sun 27-Dec-15 22:22:24

This time last year I hadn't had a full night's sleep in over a year due to a difficult pregnancy which produced a jaundiced, refluxy baby and my father dying when she was two weeks old sending me into a pit of anxiety and depression which has still to become fully controlled. But this year she slept, I am off my meds and getting on well and my four year old was amazed and excited and so, so grateful and polite and generous and loving that my heart just about burst.

Gatehouse77 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:25:15

We had a lovely relaxing day enjoying good food, good company, some games, some telly and a lot of laughing. Busy but not hectic. All 3 kids were great company, pitched in when asked and when not.

PollyIndia Sun 27-Dec-15 22:28:18

I am lucky - family are all healthy and we had a good Christmas this year. Lots of family time, friends popping in, gin for breakfast, cousins playing harmoniously, minimal tv, oodles of cheese.
It won't always be like this with my parents in their 70s... And am a single parent with no involvement from ds's dad so he'll start to feel that absence as he gets older, but for today, things are good. This time last year, I was pretty low I remember, so I am counting my blessings this year.

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sun 27-Dec-15 22:29:20

Last night I went for a walk with my fantastic little brother. He lives away now and I feel lost without him around. He's been to visit over Xmas and last night we went for a walk around the block at 11pm.

It was lovely just chatting and laughing together.

I'm going to his graduation ceremony in January. I'm so proud of him.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 27-Dec-15 22:30:46

Last year I was so crippled with anxiety that I felt like I had a glass wall between me and my DH and DC and couldn't enjoy any of it. This year, we've had a low key but really fun family Christmas, with a good dollop of silly. I feel like I'm me again and can enjoy my kids.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 27-Dec-15 22:31:37

I'm glad to have some time off work with my DCs. I work FT and hate that I have to do so.

But this Christmas will be my DM's last and she's really unwell. Christmas day itself was weird because loads of family insisted on coming even though she dozed all day. But again, it's good to be able to spend time with her.

MsJamieFraser Sun 27-Dec-15 22:36:52

Me and dh work full time, (7am-8pm) 5 days a week (not always on the same day) so we have had 4 blissful days (I go back to work on Tuesday, dh not until 4th Jan as he is a director) but we have had 4 blissful days where our boys have dictated to us what they want us to do, today is board games, food and lots of on the floor one to or time, I got dh and ds1 a season tickets of their fab team and their first games was yesterday and ds1 loved it, and da2 loved that we had games/movie night for just us two and he knows that most sat nights that it's "our night" grin

aquashiv Sun 27-Dec-15 22:41:26

Oh Dancing Queen that's lovely. You are so right it does ...Health is everything.
I absolutely love xmas morning. The excitement of it all. Everyone makes an effort.

Krampus Sun 27-Dec-15 22:54:55

Last Christmas with one of my parents.
The other parent who gave such considerate presents when they had much more on their minds.
Good pre-Christmas events with my kids.
My siblings and all their organisation, fun, putting up with me. Sils included in that, to me they are my siblings.
My Inlaws for offering lots of support and help.
My Mil, included in the above but special mention.

I still reserve the right to laugh at wierd presents and general xmas recounted oddness from other posters fgrin Yeah, I appreciate loads (and relationships are still not all easy) but other posters do put up with some crap that reaches a peak at Christmas.

wonderingsoul Sun 27-Dec-15 22:55:29

What a lovely thread.

Our Christmas was long. I woke up my youngest who is 6 by putting the stockings in his room. Got him back to sleep for all off half an hour then he was up... but he was exceptionally well behaved when I told him he had to stay in bed till at least 6 he laid hugging he's stocking with the occasional is it time yet shout ... Made me smile even if I got v little sleep.

We had a lovely time at my parents having lunch then my boyfriend spent a good 3 hours with my two putting six year old wall -e lego together... which was lovely to see.. He got ds to put each bit on... painfully slow but d's loved it and was so happy nattering away to boyfriend.. Made my heart melt.

Loved watching Ds1 and Ds2 playing scalelectrix n nerf guns together.

ohtheholidays Sun 27-Dec-15 23:01:27

For me it was tonight,we went to a Christmas market/play area and one of our DD's went on the bungee trampoline ride and there was a young lad running the ride and he was so loving and in tune with all the little children on there and he was only about 17 himself.

Teenagers can get such a bad rap all the time it was really lovely to watch someone dispelling that stereotype. smile

Then on our way out there was a young guy sitting outside with his little dog and our 2 DDS 12 and 8 noticed him straight away and we were all worried that he was going to be on the streets for the night so we went and checked on him and he was,straight away our 2DDS asked if he could come home with us bless them.We do know a few places lucky enough where he could get a few good nights sleep and they'd let him take his dog and we gave him some money so he could get some food and our daughters have told us that we have to check first thing tomorrow that the man and his Doggy are okay,we've promised them we will.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 27-Dec-15 23:04:20

Today was extended family day and I got to play with two 2year olds, a 3 year, and an 8 year old all day.

Best fun ever. I felt like the pied piper with them clambering on me.

IcecreamBus Sun 27-Dec-15 23:04:39

I've hosted Xmas for years and years. This year, my dad decided they weren't coming to ours because he was worried I'd ask him not to have his nightly quota of wine. (I'd do no such thing - I asked him not to bring any ONCE when I cut it out.) I was pretty hurt that he chose wine over me and his granddaughter.

But, as it turns out, it's been lovely. My neighbour and close friend invited us all to his, so for the first time in years, I haven't had to cook, run around making sure everyone is happy and it's been really relaxed and nice. I've half a mind to say nobody's invited next year grin

BeetlebumShesAGun Sun 27-Dec-15 23:06:06

Having my mum, stepdad and dad to ours for Christmas Day, and there being no awkwardness or atmosphere, DD just being really excited that her Granddad and "Poppy" were both there. Made me really happy to see them both playing with her then dozing off while Mum, DH and I cleared away. smile

FlatOnTheHill Sun 27-Dec-15 23:59:05

Some lovely christmas stories on here. Enjoying this thread.

JaceLancs Mon 28-Dec-15 00:05:20

Last Christmas my Dad was recovering from major heart surgery and had also just been diagnosed with bowel cancer - my mother spent most of Christmas Day in the kitchen in tears - saying this will be the last one.........
This year Dad is still with us - we celebrated his 90th birthday a few weeks ago - he is getting frailer but mentally still very with it, we are all very grateful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now