To think this was cheeky

(14 Posts)
FairyFluffbum Sun 27-Dec-15 18:49:17

Wasn't me but what I saw.

A charity shop(won't name it) had thrown out some of those decorated twigs you put in vases with the rubbish. Lady walking along spots them in the rubbish and pops in to ask if she can have them.
They charity shop said she could for a donation to which the lady replied "but you threw them out?"
The charity said said yes but if you want them you have to pay.
Lady said "so I am paying to take your rubbish away? No thank you"
She then left them.

Aibu to think this was incredibly grabby. I get that charity shops need to make money but if it was thrown out it is no longer chargeable.

At least the lady was kind enough to ask for permission to take first. Most don't

bornwithaplasticspoon Sun 27-Dec-15 18:53:45

They have rubbish bins outside the front of the shop?

FairyFluffbum Sun 27-Dec-15 18:54:39

No bins here. They just put the black bags out in the morning the rubbish truck is due

scarlets Sun 27-Dec-15 18:58:23

Twigwoman should have offered a couple of quid as a goodwill gesture.

BanningTheWordNaice Sun 27-Dec-15 18:59:16

Absolutely YANBU. She would have been stopping something from going to landfill. If it was like a food shop where she would be taking something for free that she could buy then I'd understand (although this still irritate me) but sounds pedantic and uncessary.

bornwithaplasticspoon Sun 27-Dec-15 19:01:03

I don't think she needed to ask or pay. How strange that they expected her to pay for something they had classed as rubbish

LookingForwardto2016 Sun 27-Dec-15 19:01:46

Not surprised she left the twigs!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 27-Dec-15 19:04:26

Ynbu. If they were throwing them out anyway and some would say its rude in itself to throw away donated gifts, but in their defence they obviously didn't think they could make any money on them, so what was the problem in giving them away. Surley giving away is better than throwing away.

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 27-Dec-15 19:04:37

Well a small donation wouldn't have hurt even if it was just a pound

abbsismyhero Sun 27-Dec-15 19:23:02

perhaps she didn't have a pound? if someone wants what is in my bin they are welcome too it

DownstairsMixUp Sun 27-Dec-15 19:41:29

No if it was out the front for rubbish i wouldn't of donated either. :/ Surely twigs and shit is only a few quid anyway from a shop?! It's twigs at the end of the day. (Can you tell I don't like twiggy shit)

SoleSource Sun 27-Dec-15 19:50:09

The Lady in question shouldn't have asked if she wasn't prepared to pay or skint just take them. Landfill etc

pluck Sun 27-Dec-15 20:08:16

Charities have to pay to have rubbish taken away, so she could have taken with a clean conscience!

Damselindestress Sun 27-Dec-15 20:39:07

It is a charity shop so I would have given them some pennies just to end the awkward conversation but it was very grabby of them to ask for payment for something they had thrown away. She was saving them money by offering to take their rubbish away for free! She shouldn't have to pay for the privilege. There is a charity shop round here that has a box of free items outside, stuff they haven't managed to sell and need to get rid of to make space, that people can take for free. I've had an older model computer monitor from there before and some useful folders. I do buy stuff from the shop too. I think it's sensible because it frees up space for items that can actually be sold to make money for the charity, while avoiding waste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now