Donation added to bill

(30 Posts)
HormonalHeap Sat 26-Dec-15 19:08:01

Petty I know but sat down for a drink with dd in Selfridges today. When bill came they added £1 for Centrepoint charity. Aibu to want to decide which charity I'd like to donate to if any? Didn't complain as just a pound but on thinking about it surely should be optional?

GabiSolis Sat 26-Dec-15 19:09:46

On the one hand I agree with you about choice. On the other I think it's a vital charity and I would happily give well over £1 if asked in that circumstance.

canyou Sat 26-Dec-15 19:10:56

It would depend on the charity but if it was one I really object to, then yes I would ask for the donation back and pop it into the nearest charity box or give to a nearby child, if I could afford it.

Cel982 Sat 26-Dec-15 19:11:13

Yeah, that would put me off, it's cheeky. I'd happily give the quid if asked first.

And even if it's added to the bill, by the way, you're under no obligation to pay it.

CallieTorres Sat 26-Dec-15 19:12:38

I would have refused to pay it. I'll donate when and to who I choose thank you

If they want to donate, then they can out of their own sodding money

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 26-Dec-15 19:13:28

It's not really a voluntary donation if they add it to everyone's bill. hmm If they want to give, they should take it out of their profits. However, Centrepoint are wonderful.

HormonalHeap Sat 26-Dec-15 19:14:03

No qualms about donating to that charity whatsoever- just think it should be discretionary. Hardly worth posting about but just haven't seen it before, wondered if it was the new thing!

Seeyounearertime Sat 26-Dec-15 19:16:05

I have the same issue with this as I do with the automatic tip that some places add on.

It's my choice so don't try to make it for me.

HormonalHeap Sat 26-Dec-15 19:17:09

Don't worry- they added on the tip toogrin

Seeyounearertime Sat 26-Dec-15 19:26:24

The auto tip thing really grinds my gears.
If I feel they deserve a tip, I will leave one but don't auto add it.
It's not like I have high standards, I'm not expecting bowing a scraping and a doth of the cap. Just being fecking polite is enough to get a tip, or asking of everything okay when I haven't got a mouthful of food ffs.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 26-Dec-15 19:29:15

Ynbu. Yes I know its only a £ but a £ is a £. No one has the right to force donating on anyone, even if they are millionaires. People give at their own discretion, and most of us have our favorite charities.

jay55 Sat 26-Dec-15 19:29:49

Was the tip calculated including or excluding the donation?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 26-Dec-15 19:34:54

Selfridges do this year round, for various charities. I think they hope most people won't notice but they do happily remove it if asked.

HormonalHeap Sat 26-Dec-15 19:36:11

Tip was added on in addition to donation. Ended up paying almost a tenner for a lemonade and espressogrin

Atenco Sat 26-Dec-15 20:07:38

I may be wrong, but here in Mexico, if you allow a big company to take your money for them to make a donation, they get to deduct your donations from their tax bill, as if they were making the donation. Televisa, one of the biggest television companies in the world pays hardly any taxes whatsoever, because it runs a Telethon for charity.

CherryPits Sat 26-Dec-15 20:09:28

It is discretionary. If you don't want to pay the donation or the tip, you just pay the basic total.

HeffalumpTrap Sat 26-Dec-15 20:21:20

I quite like the domino's idea where they ask you if you'd like to round up and donate the extra to charity. They ask though which j think is important. I wouldn't like the auto donation or the auto tip. They should ask.

HormonalHeap Sat 26-Dec-15 20:24:06

Interesting Atenco. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here too.

darkequinoxlight Sat 26-Dec-15 20:26:36

'Or give to a nearby child ' hmm

LynetteScavo Sat 26-Dec-15 20:42:14

It's naughty if it's not obvious they're doing it. There are some charities is rather not support.

HormonalHeap Sat 26-Dec-15 21:04:03

Darkequinoxlight I thought the same- why on earth would I give money to a nearby child? Some of the children I know have more in their accounts than me!

xmasseason Sat 26-Dec-15 21:18:12

I'm surprised it isn't made clear at the time of purchase. Seems sneaky.

amarmai Sat 26-Dec-15 21:26:40

so customers are paying extra without being asked and to make the business look good? Hope they don't start that here - i'm going to check my bills more carefully now. yanbu ,op

Noeuf Sat 26-Dec-15 21:33:00

I hate being forced into donating . New Look ask as do body shop and I hate having to say no because I feel 'judged'. I think charity should be a choice. However, fundraising and marketing budgets and strategies get short shrift in here so I guess it's hard for charities to get it right.

ABetaDad1 Sat 26-Dec-15 21:43:03

Yes indeed it is the case that companies donating money to charities get to deduct it form their corporation tax.

It is not their money they are donating but the company gets to reclaim the tax from it so that increases their after tax profit. Your generosity to the charity increases the company's profit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now