Can't wait to give away my presents

(164 Posts)
HopsNim Fri 25-Dec-15 23:06:38

Is this terrible? As I get older I just find I'm way more particular about the stuff I like. Also I HATE clutter and I've been trying to only keep things that I love or that are useful in the house.

I rarely keep any presents I get, around 90% get re gifted or sent to charity shop. It means I really treasure the lovely stuff (this year: posh towels from dsis; organic face cream MIL; diamond necklace DP; Molton brown bits from BIL and new books and wine from DM. And it doesn't get missed in the sea of Bayliss & Harding-esque gift sets (label snob grin), festive socks/hats/scarves, photo frames and ornaments that I shall be dispensing of on Monday.

formerbabe Fri 25-Dec-15 23:09:20

This should be interesting....

Yabu - you should tell people not to buy you anything, or to just make a charity donation, instead of letting them waste their money on you.

MissFitt68 Fri 25-Dec-15 23:10:04

I'd ditch the books too.... Overrated. And possibly the Molton brown stuff

No it's not terrible

messystressy Fri 25-Dec-15 23:10:33

I used to hold onto everything, for sentimental reasons, but starting to think like you - they take up a LOT of room. I do feel guilty about it though.

ilovesooty Fri 25-Dec-15 23:10:44

Well I think this might just be the thread that keeps on giving...

Missdee2014 Fri 25-Dec-15 23:11:00

Another ungrateful snob on mumsnet tonight I see shock

CalleighDoodle Fri 25-Dec-15 23:11:44

Oh no op thats terrible for you! Some people might jot have received your memo insteucting them of the minimum spend requirement.

biscuit

Bailey101 Fri 25-Dec-15 23:11:56

You sound very unpleasant and more then just a 'label' snob. You should probably tell people that their hard earned money is better spent elsewhere as you're too good for their insignificant clutter.

GreatFuckability Fri 25-Dec-15 23:13:36

books are over rated?? jesus, its like i'm an alternate dimension.

Leelu6 Fri 25-Dec-15 23:14:22

Is this a stealth boast about your diamond necklace, Molton Brown and posh towels? hmm

Not many people will be getting those tnings.

Snob seems to be the right word.

YANBU for being particular and disliking clutter buy YABU dor the stealth boast.

Leelu6 Fri 25-Dec-15 23:14:38

*for the

ilovesooty Fri 25-Dec-15 23:14:39

diamond necklace

Nice stealth boast there. grin

cariadlet Fri 25-Dec-15 23:14:41

Instead of just giving stuff away that people have presumably spent time choosing for you, why don't you just ask not to be given presents or to be given charity donations instead?

I've got a few friends that I used to swap presents with, but gradually we've all decided to just do cards instead, DP and I haven't done Christmas presents for each other for years (with December and January birthdays we really don't need anything extra at Christmas), and I ask my parents and sister to donate to a charity instead.

It means that other people don't wasted time and money giving me things when I've got too much stuff already and I don't have to put on a false smile and pretend to like presents that I'd rather not have. It seems a bit more honest than accepting presents and then regifting them.

ilovesooty Fri 25-Dec-15 23:15:04

Cross post.

HopsNim Fri 25-Dec-15 23:15:05

There isn't a minimum spend. I just don't have a lot of luxuries so it's lovely to receive them (and some were inexpensive - the wine was lidl, the books - just better than stuff I normally get myself.

RoseWithoutAThorn Fri 25-Dec-15 23:15:30

I think you should give ot all to charity. You sound very ungrateful as not everyone can afford "naice" gifts which are clearly not to your standards. Brat and spoiled comes to mind.

Candleabras Fri 25-Dec-15 23:16:38

I told my lot what not to buy this year. Waste of time buying me anything for the home, or clothes, as I won't like it, and to play safe with fav chocs and stuff I've seen and like.

A few years ago I couldn't wait to throw out a pair of ear muffs bought for me. Still feel guilty.

Euripidesralph Fri 25-Dec-15 23:16:51

Label snob? That just means you are silly enough tothink that matter

By all means get rid of what doesn't suit you but do tell the person who went to the effort of buying for you so they can buy for someone else instead,,, preferably someone with a soul and a mind

HopsNim Fri 25-Dec-15 23:17:48

Stealth boast 😃- nope. by diamond necklace I mean necklace with diamond effect pendant in it. DP chose it with DC and it's lovely!

thelouise Fri 25-Dec-15 23:18:34

I think I'm going to vomit my super expensive Christmas truffles.

formerbabe Fri 25-Dec-15 23:19:56

So sad to read a post like this alongside those who are alone today and/or won't have received anything at all.

Count your blessings op.

HopsNim Fri 25-Dec-15 23:20:04

But do people honestly say to their in-laws, for example, please don't buy me xxx? Even if they're not asked? Always think it sounds a bit wrong/presumptuous . Was always taught you get what you're given.

usual Fri 25-Dec-15 23:20:14

You sound like a bit of a twat to me.

ovenchips Fri 25-Dec-15 23:22:05

A diamond necklace you say? I'm glad you said diamond as I might have imagined a mere something in silver or gold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now