Anti biotics. Beginning of the end

(20 Posts)
VoyageOfDad Mon 21-Dec-15 19:53:24

The last resort anti biotic has found its nemesis in the UK. Soon anti biotics will be useless and we'll be in the dark ages again as far as medicine goes.

Our world is going to change.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35153795

itsmine Mon 21-Dec-15 19:59:02

What a cheery thread. Merry Christmas to you too grin

We were all going to die from Ebola, swine flu and before that bird flu so think I'll hang on before I panic.

Theoretician Mon 21-Dec-15 20:00:23

I read recently about a solution to the impending crisis, I think this link may be referring to the same thing.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29306807

NameRanger Mon 21-Dec-15 20:00:24

This terrifies me.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 21-Dec-15 20:02:23

tis the season!

I think it's a worry but not quiet the zombie apocalypse yet

no idea what your AIBU? is though

ImperialBlether Mon 21-Dec-15 20:02:54

OP, why don't you read the full article? It clearly states:

"Prof Alan Johnson, from Public Health England, said: "Our assessment is that the public health risk posed by this gene is currently considered very low, but is subject to ongoing review as more information becomes available.

"The organisms identified can be killed by cooking your food properly and all the bacteria we identified with this gene were responsive to other antibiotics, called carbapenems."

LagunaBubbles Mon 21-Dec-15 20:03:35

Is there a point to your thread OP, apart from spreading mass panic?confused

BrianButterfield Mon 21-Dec-15 20:03:53

My kids have had so many antibiotics - I don't ask for them at all but they always need them and I always feel really guilty. My GP was saying to me that he believes children should have ABs as often as his own children have had them - and one of his is a grown-up and has never had any - and then had to admit that DD really did need them! What's your alternative as a parent though?

LagunaBubbles Mon 21-Dec-15 20:04:18

Itsmine fgrin

Lweji Mon 21-Dec-15 20:04:35

Humanity was thriving before antibiotics. It's not that doom and gloom.
Maybe hospitals will insist again on hygiene.

UndramaticPause Mon 21-Dec-15 20:05:55

Well considering some of us can't use entire groups of antibiotics the news is a somewhat underwhelming non surprise

almondpudding Mon 21-Dec-15 20:07:05

The article doesn't actually say that soon antibiotics will be useless though, does it?

It seems to be saying that some bacteria have been discovered (and they could have been around for years) that are resistant to the last resort antibiotic, but can be treated with other antibiotics.

The concern is presumably that the gene that makes them resistant to the last resort antibiotic could appear in other bacteria that are also resistant to other kinds of antibiotic.

But that hasn't actually happened yet.

So there are currently no kinds of bacteria that are resistant to every kind of antibiotic.

Or that's what I think it is saying, at least. So I'm not going to freak out yet.

VoyageOfDad Tue 22-Dec-15 10:12:43

I think the point is that unles something happens, unless people start saying they want ( for example ) meat thats been bred without anti biotics, things are going to be bleak for our kids.

Given the antipathy most people seem to hold on the issue It doesn't seem likely we'll avoid it.

BeyondJinglebells Tue 22-Dec-15 10:17:22

Phage therapy will save us. Tis fascinating.

Discopanda Tue 22-Dec-15 10:40:21

I watched a BBC documentary on antibiotic resistance a few months back and scientists are using soil to find new alternatives to fight superbugs. People need to let their kids play in the mud, that's great for building up the immune system.

Lweji Tue 22-Dec-15 10:45:24

In a recent conference an expert voiced his opinion that antibiotic use in agriculture is not so much the problem, but the high yet not quite effective dosages given therapeutically to humans and animals. That the low levels given routinely to farm animals were not actually creating resistance.

AppleSetsSail Tue 22-Dec-15 10:49:46

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30657486

Have faith, we'll get there in the end.

I worry quite a bit about superbugs and superviruses, though.

saltlakecity Tue 22-Dec-15 10:53:35

We're all going to die of something. The scientists will work hard to find solutions. Why sit there worrying about something that may never be an issue to you or your lived ones.

ScarlettDarling Tue 22-Dec-15 10:59:01

op I struggle with anxiety and this is one of the things that really worries me.

The thing which helps me most when I begin to panic is looking at the facts, and trying not just to register the scare mongering headlines.

Fact: antibiotic resistance is becoming a real issue.

Fact: antibiotics have only been around for a really short time. People survived long before they were available. The human race isn't going to die out if they become ineffective!

Fact: there is so much research going on into alternatives, see ref to 'phage therapy' above.

Fact: new antibiotics could well be developed.

Please try not to panic. x

noeffingidea Tue 22-Dec-15 12:11:09

This has been on the cards for a long time, in fact I remember it being discussed when I was a nurse in the 80's.
I don't think there's any need to panic though, OP. My attitude is, avoid antibiotics unless they are genuinely needed, always take the complete course, and avoid unneccesary surgeries and invasive procedures. Just be careful to avoid infections generally, follow good hygeine and boost your own immunity (healthy diet and as much sleep as possible).
I'm 55, I think I have used antibiotics 5 times in my life, my kids a couple of times each apart from my youngest who is 15 and never used antibiotics. If any of us are ill I wait and give our bodies a chance to recover without medicine. Luckily none of us have ever had a serious illness which did require antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now