to wonder why cars aren't like dining chairs

(9 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Sun 13-Dec-15 19:52:59

Cars are low down - you shimmy in, haul yourself up and out

Why didn't they just make them 'step in' - huge doors, chair at ass level, no shimmying

What was the point confused

CMOTDibbler Sun 13-Dec-15 19:55:22

Its simple mechanics - the higher up the centre of gravity of the car is, the worse it handles. Sports cars are very close to the ground so they are basically between their wheels - a van is well above them so it wants to tip over if you sling it aroun.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 13-Dec-15 19:57:21

Yeah, vans and 4 by 4's are too high - you have steps up for them

And cars are mostly really low.

Why not just Goldilocksy right?

ProvisionallyAnxious Sun 13-Dec-15 20:06:54

DH laughs at me getting out of our car - our parking space is a steep sideways slope if that makes any sense so the passenger's side is lower than the driver's side. This also means I'm essentially climbing out of the car uphill. I'm quite short, so when I swing my legs round they don't touch the ground - it can be quite a struggle keeping the door open whilst also clambering out at the same time! grin

But, as CMOT puts it, lower centre of gravity makes for better cornering...

londonrach Sun 13-Dec-15 20:17:43

Get yourself a skoda fabia...perfect height to get into. No idea how people get into sports cars or the 4x4s. (Not bendable!)

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 13-Dec-15 22:21:28

We had 2 Multiplas, which had seats at dining chair height. Handling was pretty good, because of the wide track and very light upperworks. Then we bought a CR-V, same height seats. I nearly crashed it on the test drive: yanked hard over on a roundabout and floored it. The Multipla wouldn't have twitched. The Honda salesman in the back made a very strange noise blush

goodnightdarthvader1 Sun 13-Dec-15 22:59:25

I have a Skoda Fabia, love it. I used to drive a Suzuki Wagon - the ultimate dining chair car favoured by disabled people in its day. I got teased for having an uncool car in my 20s, but I loved it.

Hillfarmer Sun 13-Dec-15 23:10:05

Provisionally - the solution is for you to drive!

BackforGood Sun 13-Dec-15 23:24:02

I hear you LaurieFairycake - I really miss our zafira for this - it was lovely and easy to get in and out of. Our current (non-people carrier) car has me really struggling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now