to be sceptical about man made climate change

(754 Posts)
Brioche201 Sat 12-Dec-15 21:11:24

.. to a layperson like myself the evidence does not seem robust (record antarctic ice caps) .Even if it were true 'the climate' is such a complicated thing affected by thousands of factors.Is it likely that changing just one or 2 of the factors that are within out control would make a difference (or even that the difference would be in the right direction)
Do you still believe in man made climate change or think it is mainly rooted in politics?

Trills Sat 12-Dec-15 21:12:57

I believe that the DENIAL of manmade climate change is rooted in politics.

wonkylegs Sat 12-Dec-15 21:14:22

I'm with Trills

Riderontheswarm Sat 12-Dec-15 21:17:32

Wow!

RictusGrimace Sat 12-Dec-15 21:20:20

Man made climate change is backed up by numerous scientific papers. Reducing emissions will have a significant effect.
If we don't address it, it will lead to mass migration as places like Bangladesh flood irreversibly. the poor and vulnerable will be most affected.

What's being agreed in Paris goes nowhere near far enough and our current government has taken a massive backwards step removing subsidy for offshore wind and instead focusing wholesale on fracking.

The concept of Manmade climate change is not rooted in politics as it's generally hugely unpopular and a big pain in the behind to the kind of unrestricted growth this government is driving.

PatrickPolarBear Sat 12-Dec-15 21:21:19

Yup, Trills has it. No-one has a vested interest in creating a fake theory of climate change because climate change is troubling and threatens our whole way of life.

Lots of corporations and big business OTOH have a vested interest in denying it so they can continue to externalize the true cost of their business operations.

You can see that by the way public debate in the US is much more heavily biased against climate change acceptance compared to most of Europe. That's because most politicians in the US, especially Republicans, are bought and paid by corporate lobbyists.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sat 12-Dec-15 21:23:57

Wot Trills said.

claig Sat 12-Dec-15 21:30:33

YADNBU

'Do you still believe in man made climate change or think it is mainly rooted in politics?'

Don't believe a word of it, think it is all about politics.

Dipankrispaneven Sat 12-Dec-15 21:33:16

Would you care to quote any scientific evidence in favour of that view, claig?

Lweji Sat 12-Dec-15 21:35:05

Well, I think women also played a part in it.

claig Sat 12-Dec-15 21:35:10

'Would you care to quote any scientific evidence in favour of that view, claig?'

There are lots of climate sceptic sites which have scientific evidence that it is a fraud from scientists, but I don't bother studying that because I know it is a fraud based on politics not science.

Robertaquimby Sat 12-Dec-15 21:35:49

YANBU

Loads of eminent scientists disagree with you. Nigel Lawson, Donald Trump, Sarah Palin.

The climate change brigade are just all about vested financial interests. There's a lot of money in solar panels and working for Greenpeace these days.

Robertaquimby Sat 12-Dec-15 21:37:33

Agree with you, even.

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 12-Dec-15 21:38:50

You see. I think that nature will out. Fossil fuels are natural. We are part of nature. We are on a natural progression. Probably to annihilation. But hey ho.

Lweji Sat 12-Dec-15 21:39:05

Wind turbines too.

Well, human made or not, climate is changing fast. Too fast for humans to adapt comfortably. Particularly regarding increasing sea levels.
In any case, limiting carbon and polutent emissions can only be good.
Have you seen Beijing recently?

Lweji Sat 12-Dec-15 21:40:21

We won't be anihilated through climate change. But are we prepared to deal with the upheaval?

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 12-Dec-15 21:40:44

there are as many papers "disproving" man made climate change as there are "proving" it.

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 12-Dec-15 21:40:46

Agree with Trills, Denial is rooted in politics (and vested interests).

grin *Lweji

Trills Sat 12-Dec-15 21:41:01

I'd really like to hear any theories you have on why anyone would MAKE UP that manmade climate change was happening.

What would anyone gain from pretending this was true, if it was not?

sinber Sat 12-Dec-15 21:41:06

I think the climate will change with or without us, same as it always has.

WiIdfire Sat 12-Dec-15 21:41:40

I agree nature will out. We will face another mass extinction, this time of the human race, and of our own doing. But the planet will live on, some organisms will continue to live, so nature will survive.

RictusGrimace Sat 12-Dec-15 21:42:31

But Claig burying heads in sand and ploughing on with nonrenewables and not capping emissions gains you far more political points than being a climate change party pooper

Lweji Sat 12-Dec-15 21:44:13

We won't get extinct that easily. Well, at least those with survival skills won't. But we could easily become a few thousands or millions instead of billions.

amicissimma Sat 12-Dec-15 21:44:40

" No-one has a vested interest in creating a fake theory of climate change "

Except, of course, all those who receive grants for their work 'proving' man-made climate change, those who hold highly-paid posts in various 'climate change' agencies, governments who use 'climate change' as an excuse to raise certain taxes (eg emissions taxes), those who receive massive subsidies for their 'renewable' technology, those who receive huge payments for having windmills on their land, those (not one of them British) who run companies who are being paid to have huge diesel installations on standby in the UK for when we need emergency power because we are shutting down our coal power stations and relying on wind ...

If today's 'warming'* is caused by human activity what caused it when it was warm enough to bury the dead in what is now permafrost in Greenland and when Hannibal and Charlemagne crossed the Alps using passes that are now impassible year on year?

* There is no evidence of a warming trend over the last 20 years using raw date, the trend is only produced when 'climate scientists' apply their algorithms to the raw data.

If you look carefully at the data they show a slight increase in extreme weathers when there is a decrease in temperatures, not an increase.

The land around the river delta system in Bangladesh is as highly populated as it is because of the flooding, which makes the soil very fertile and productive. It's always flooded.

I think one of the strongest arguments against man-made global warming/climate change is the behaviour of its proponents. They call people who point out the theory's flaws names and try to shut down argument. If the pro arguments were so clear, there would be no need for such behaviour.

RictusGrimace Sat 12-Dec-15 21:46:11

For those saying nature will out, there will be mass extinction and quite possibly the next world war will come from the implications of climate change (scarcity of water, land, nonrenewables).

Reducing our energy consumption seems worth a try to avoid that to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now