To call into work sick due to complete exhaustion?

(11 Posts)
Marsaday Wed 09-Dec-15 06:39:51

I am 32 weeks pregnant and suffering from pregnancy insomnia. I have averaged 4 hours sleep a night for the last month or so, and I am just utterly exhausted. Today I have been awake since 4am.
I also have a toddler so get no rest at home. I am a teacher so once toddler is in bed I work until at least 10pm marking and planning. Work is hectic at the moment due to mock exams, reports due and the fact that I have to prepare everything to hand over my classes to new teacher next friday when my maternity leave begins. Therefore taking it a bit easy at work also not an option.
It's lucky that I get a lift to work really, as I'm so tired I don't think I would actually be safe to drive.
WIBU to call in sick because I'm just completely done in and need to rest? We have to give a detailed reason for absence btw, saying "I'm ill" is not enough.

GreatFuckability Wed 09-Dec-15 06:46:16

Yanbu. Id take the day to catch up on sleep.

ArmchairTraveller Wed 09-Dec-15 06:48:13

I think it's a good idea, especially if you are prepared to be in email contact with your handover teacher in the New Year to do any tidying up necessary.
You are exhausted, you would be barely functioning at work and it's not good for you, the baby or your toddler.
Sleep, and call in favours for the next few weeks so that someone can tire out the toddler for you and feed it. And dump the guilt that's keeping you staggering along when you should be unconscious and under a duvet.

PresidentUnderwood Wed 09-Dec-15 06:54:38

Call in sick, get your marking and prep done by all means but do try and have 40 winks.

Take care, we all know pregnancy isn't an illness hmm but it's bloody hard work especially with another small DC about flowers

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 09-Dec-15 06:59:07

Do it. I'm 23 weeks and have also been up since 4-i work in retail and the hours are crazy at the moment. I'm just sat here contemplating calling in but it would let my team down and I would feel too bad! I don't have a toddler too though and I'm not as far gone as you! Stay at home and rest xx

ImogenTubbs Wed 09-Dec-15 07:05:26

YANBU. Take the day, get some rest.

HackerFucker22 Wed 09-Dec-15 07:21:32

Not sure how long you plan to work but it's worth considering that if you go off sick after 36w that automatically begins your ML.

I worked to 37w with DC1 and 38w with DC2 - I wish I hadn't been such a hero the second time (although I worked over Xmas so have this Xmas off)

If you are that tired take e a few days but it's worth thinking about how much longer you will be able to cope at work.

SweepTheHalls Wed 09-Dec-15 07:23:54

I felt particularly awful around 28-34weeks with anaemia, so it might we worth checking your iron levels. I ended up taking a whole week with exhaustion. I am back now though, week 37 today and am going to get to the end of term!

WeeseKeysAreThese Wed 09-Dec-15 07:34:01

YANBU, have a day off and don't worry.

Marsaday Wed 09-Dec-15 07:39:07

I'm pretty sure the exhaustion is just due to sleep deprivation. I am going on mat leave at 35 weeks, but the last working 2 weeks are actually the Christmas holidays. I worked until 36 with my first and ran myself into the ground, he then arrived at 37weeks.
I'm on my way to work - I felt too guilty it is also very difficult to send in work last minute as we don't have textbooks to set work from. I feel horrible though and I look worse day by day, there is only so much that clarins flash balm can do!
If I still feel like this at the end of the day maybe I will sort out cover lessons for tomorrow.

Youarentkiddingme Wed 09-Dec-15 07:43:37

Complete exhaustion = too I'll to work.

People do different jobs and different types of illness will be manageable in each role. I've always gone with the decision being if I'm able to do the job I'm employed to do and be at least a little bit productive with it. If not then then I'm too ill to work.

Good luck today - I hope you manage it. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now