To bloody hate ten pin bowling

(25 Posts)
Motherinferior78 Tue 01-Dec-15 23:47:40

It's not just the lack of daylight, the noisy gaming machines, the unsexy shoes etc etc. But I'm just crap at it. Really crap. I can't even type my name in the computery thing - I spent a whole afternoon last weekend being known as Mot/// infe//Orr 78. The scoring system is equally baffling. The balls hate me too - they're all too heavy and even when I think I'm bowling straight - the fuckers make a determined beeline for the gutter. Then they either don't come back at all or they pop back out of the machine with alarming suddenness and crush my knuckles. I literally can't ever ever hit the pins and I don't care. Let them stand there - I'm a pacifist, I don't want to knock anybody down. Just let me go next door and eat pizza and try not to think about how useless I am while you all do it properly and high five each other. Isn't it summer yet?! angry

ClearEyesFullHearts Tue 01-Dec-15 23:51:09

Use the gutter rails option. wink

iklboo Tue 01-Dec-15 23:54:40

I have (late diagnosed) hypermobile joints in my wrists. My first time bowling was an......experience.

AnnaMarlowe Tue 01-Dec-15 23:57:59

I'm really, really bad. But occasionally I get a strike and it's wonderful. grin

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 02-Dec-15 00:01:02

I utterly rubbish at bowling, but love taking the kids.

I think it's down to pure luck and very excited if I do get a strike.

LizKeen Wed 02-Dec-15 00:13:54

I always find the thought of bowling more exciting that the actual experience.

LizKeen Wed 02-Dec-15 00:14:15

*than

Katarzyna79 Wed 02-Dec-15 00:18:04

piper it's all about skill not pure luck (says the expert lol) . Seriously I find bowling a tad bit boring but it's not so dull i'd refuse to go if friends or family suggested it. I;m actually very good at it, i easily get strikes frequently and i usually win all the games. This despite having arthritic pains.

I actually love the bowling shoes i find them really comfortable, the only thought that puts me off is the fact lots of other feet have been inside them (eugh)

Katarzyna79 Wed 02-Dec-15 00:20:45

iklboo What is hypermobility is it just due to being more flexible than others?, because i apparently have it, but now gp is saying she's not 100% since i was doubting it, and wants to do more tests. my mum had lupus so I'm thinking its that but even though they tested for it there are no definitive tests for lupus as such. I'm sceptical of hypermobility diagnosis for me, but i am super flexi.

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Wed 02-Dec-15 00:39:06

It is luck < stamps feet and flounces>

LockTheTaskBar Wed 02-Dec-15 05:53:38

yanbu. It was arranged for our work xmas party last year in the form of a really really long complicated tournament. there was booze and buffet laid on and everyone was ready for a laugh and a drink and to catch up with each other after a long hard year. Instead, we kept getting called back to our duties by fascists who needed us to repetitively, in order, lob barely liftable rocks down a visually depressing and unvarying tunnel. It was like a party organised by Sisyphus. I never want to do it again.

Krampus Wed 02-Dec-15 06:33:16

YaNBU

It is boring, I have no natural talent, I have no desire to improve.

YakTriangle Wed 02-Dec-15 06:47:41

I actually like going bowling, despite being crap at it, but it always ends up with one of my DC in a foul mood because they've got a low score and I wonder we've attempts it yet again. I can't blame them being bad losers on the game itself though.

TheBunnyOfDoom Wed 02-Dec-15 07:13:23

I love bowling. I go with DP fairly often and although he's better at me, occasionally I beat him and the look of defeat on his face is priceless grin

Plus, there's something about dingy bowling arcades, games machines, slush puppies and cheesy chips that just takes me back to my childhood. I love it!

paulapantsdown Wed 02-Dec-15 07:35:17

It becomes soooo boring after about 10 minutes. If I want to do a dull repetitive task for two hours I'll do the ironing.

StrapOnDodo Wed 02-Dec-15 07:38:59

I agree with the op, I hate everything about it but I haven't been for 20 years. I'd rather go to the dentist or have a smear grin

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 02-Dec-15 07:39:26

I can only bowl when I'm pissed. I'm teetotal now so I've not been in over a decade as it's pretty dull grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Dec-15 07:43:21

YANBU it's so boring. People start disappearing when it's their go and everyone loses interest after ten minutes.
I start chucking the ball down the lane and going back to sit down without even looking to see what happened.

Sparklingbrook Wed 02-Dec-15 07:44:28

Although a close runner up is Crazy Golf/Pitch and Putt. Zzzzzzzz.

coffeetasteslikeshit Wed 02-Dec-15 07:47:04

It is soooo boring. I cannot fathom adults choosing to do it for a night out! I'd much rather just spend the money on a nice meal out, chatting with friends.

Motherinferior78 Wed 02-Dec-15 08:34:47

Love it LockTheTaskbar! Even more unfathomable than the pointless cycle of rock throwing was one particular arcade game. Outside it was lashing wind and rain but there were several youngsters crammed inside a box marked "hurricane experience". Go figure.

TheWitTank Wed 02-Dec-15 08:42:35

I'm with you. I absolutely hate it. I find it boring and last time I did it I put my back out and hurt my wrist (and I'm a weightlifter so not exactly a princess fairy). And broke my nails. I concede that I may indeed just be very, very shit at it.

SSargassoSea Wed 02-Dec-15 08:48:13

Anything that stems from the USA is often crap and has been developed to make a profit making business. Another example guising or trick or treating as they refer to it - just a reason to spend huge amounts on crap.

Or American football - hence the need for cheerleaders/ hot dogs/ Queen hits/ lots and lots of crap 'fun' stuff - the biggest thing about it is the amount of money made from advertising in the many many breaks.

thecatsarecrazy Wed 02-Dec-15 09:09:02

Where I work whenever they have a works night out its bloody bowling! Leaving do for someone bowling! Manager says I'm just organising Christmas do I thought ah ok I probably can't go anyway but wonder where we having that. Bowling! And it's £16 for bowling and "snacks" no thankyou

Motherinferior78 Wed 02-Dec-15 14:36:06

Ah so good to be amongst my people grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now