AIBU to find this term offensive

(297 Posts)
wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sun 29-Nov-15 20:56:18

A colleague at work in reference to someone sitting down relaxing in a chair said "he's monging out"she was surprised when I said I was offended by the term and that it was disabilist.
What is your definitions of the term mong.

Wolfiefan Sun 29-Nov-15 20:58:10

It's unacceptable. It is offensive. Can't believe anyone would think otherwise. confused

abbieanders Sun 29-Nov-15 20:58:19

You really want a discussion about the definitions that people might apply to 'mong'? Why?

Salmotrutta Sun 29-Nov-15 20:59:48

Offensive and horrible.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 29-Nov-15 20:59:51

It's from Mongrel dog isn't it? As in scruffy, lazy and not bred for a purpose.

Sairelou Sun 29-Nov-15 21:01:01

I never knew it was an offensive term. I use it all the time if I'm having a lazy day confused

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sun 29-Nov-15 21:02:08

She looked at me as if I was wrong but she is half my age so I assumed that when growing up this word was bounded around as a normal term of speech for me .I just wanted clarification that I hadn't imagined ed the word being so very wrong .

Helmetbymidnight Sun 29-Nov-15 21:02:43

It's offensive and no it's not from the dog.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 29-Nov-15 21:02:22

It's a derogatory term for a person with Down syndrome. Highly offensive

TreeSparrow Sun 29-Nov-15 21:02:50

I thought the origin was from "Mongoloid" which was a horrible name for someone with Down's Syndrome. Pretty offensive.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 29-Nov-15 21:02:55

Milk

Its a slang term for someone with cerebral palsy.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 29-Nov-15 21:03:22

I know a lot of people who use this term that have no idea that it's offensive. I accidentally used it on MN once and got slaughtered, genuinely had no idea.

If course it offensive, but in my limited experience, a lot of people aren't aware

Wolfiefan Sun 29-Nov-15 21:03:07

Um no milk. It's a reference to Down's. hmm

RiverTam Sun 29-Nov-15 21:04:16

I thought it was from Mongolism which was the old term for people with Down's Syndrome. Which of course makes it extremely offensive, akin to using the 'r' word.

But having read people thinking it comes from mongrel then perhaps he wasn't. But probably best avoided.

RiverTam Sun 29-Nov-15 21:05:05

X pist

RiverTam Sun 29-Nov-15 21:04:47

Post!!!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 29-Nov-15 21:04:51

Well clearly you haven't imagined it, but it's not beyond comprehension that she was unaware of any offensive connotations.

I wasn't.

Darvany Sun 29-Nov-15 21:05:18

It's short for Mongol, not mongrel.

It was used to describe someone who has Down's Syndrome so offensive in that it is both racist and disablist.

Darvany Sun 29-Nov-15 21:05:49

x-post with everyone.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 29-Nov-15 21:06:25

WOAH!!!

X-posts!!!

I have never heard of Mongoloid or Mongolism.

Shit.

GloriaSmellens Sun 29-Nov-15 21:06:55

I think many people are unaware of the offensiveness of this term. II didn't realise it was offensive until I saw it on MN and when people use it in real life I don't think they know where it comes from.

But YANBU to find it offensive.

wasonthelist Sun 29-Nov-15 21:08:21

We used to say mong all the time when I was a kid - if I'm honest, I never knew what it meant.

If I've got it right, it refers to the old way we used to describe Downs Syndrome as Mongolism - after the work of Down, however as long ago as 1965 the UN packed that in after a (valid) objection from a Mongolian delegate.

It's not something I'd ever say now, but I do want to make a plea for myself and others who said it in the past - I know it was offensive and ignorant, but at the time I didn't understand the significance and it really wasn't meant to be offensive because I didn't even know who I'd have been offending. The way things were when I was a kid, I never even met a kid with Down's.

KeepOnMoving1 Sun 29-Nov-15 21:08:54

I know that because of mn. At the same I know many people don't really know what it means as well.

ComposHatComesBack Sun 29-Nov-15 21:08:55

It's from Mongrel dog isn't it

No, It is from mongoloid, a dated and highly offensive term for someone with Down's Syndrome. It was based on the idea that people with Down's had facial features that resembled those of south east Asia (corresponding with the Mongol empire) so the term manages to be both extremely offensive to people with Down's and being racially insensitive. Quite the double whammy.

Helmetbymidnight Sun 29-Nov-15 21:09:09

The young folk say it a lot, specially the spliff smokers, right?

I sound like my grandma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now