About incorrect spellings and poor grammar in school newsletters

(12 Posts)
UnlikelyPilgramage Wed 18-Nov-15 17:36:02

Honestly, I realise the odd typo can get the better of anybody, but just lately the weekly newsletter on the website is littered with incorrectly spelled words (usually homophones) and other things that make me wince - 'of' not 'off' being a particular irritant.

It is making me lose faith in the school and is making me wonder if I should be looking at alternatives. I can't work out whether this is utterly unreasonable bordering on madness or absolutely justified - so over to you, Mumsnet!

laffymeal Wed 18-Nov-15 17:41:07

I've pointed out mistakes in our school newsletter op. I think it sets a very bad example to put something out to pupils and parents that you would correct a pupil for.

Nanny0gg Wed 18-Nov-15 17:44:45

It is justified in my view. If the secretary can't produce a grammatically correct newsletter then she needs to find someone to proof-read.

And if these newsletters are on view to the wider public/prospective parents (and any Ofsted inspector worth their salt should be looking at them before a visit) then they need to get their act together.

Hygellig Wed 18-Nov-15 17:47:41

Our school newsletter usually has a few typos in each issue, along the lines of "Its been a pleasure to walk round the school."

I haven't said anything about it to the school but they should probably correct them given that they are going to start uploading them to the website.

LittleCandle Wed 18-Nov-15 17:50:08

I used to correct the letters sent home and return them to school. It drove the headmaster batty, but since he couldn't be arsed to read the letters the secretary wrote (lovely lady, but...) before putting a facsimile signature on them, I didn't see a problem. I never could understand why he took early retirement...

FreckledLeopard Wed 18-Nov-15 17:52:31

Utterly justified IMO. A school is a place where children are supposed to be taught spelling and grammar (amongst other things) and as such, their newsletters and any other communication should be well-written, free from any errors and a good example of the written language.

All school staff should know how to read, write, spell and use grammar correctly. Otherwise they will pass on their mistakes to future generations.

My cousin is a school teacher (primary) and I wince when I read her Facebook posts - she has no clue about your/you're or they're/their/there. How on earth she got a degree and managed to get the job of a teacher, I don't know.

catfordbetty Wed 18-Nov-15 17:53:07

If the newsletter is genuinely "littered" with mistakes then you are right to wonder about the standards the school sets itself.

Andrewofgg Wed 18-Nov-15 17:56:00

I once got one which used "off of" and "most funniest". Both unacceptable. Luckily it was DS's last term there.

catfordbetty Wed 18-Nov-15 17:57:57

All school staff should know how to read, write, spell and use grammar correctly

I agree but they frequently don't. Your cousin is not an exception in my experience. How such people are accepted as teachers is easy to answer: the entry requirements are woefully low.

UnlikelyPilgramage Wed 18-Nov-15 18:01:58

Thank you. I thought I was being ridiculously fussy, but perhaps not.

Wolfie2 Wed 18-Nov-15 18:06:16

A secretary's poor grammar and spelling has no reflection on the schools ability to teach. Our school has top sats grades (lots of level 6 in year 6) but the news letters are awful.

I would write and offer my services. Explain that you can see they are struggling with the grammar in the newsletters and would they like you to proof read them before they go out?

TheSnowFairy Wed 18-Nov-15 19:32:27

I write ours (secondary school). It is then checked by both our HT and her PA before it goes out. We HATE making mistakes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now