codeine addiction

(202 Posts)
ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:03:29

Iv been addicted to codeine for years. I was prescribed them for severe back pain / slipped disc and took them under gp guidelines. Gradually I started to realise I was taking them not for pain but for that lovely fuzzy chilled out I can conquer anything feeling. I stopped cold turkey and felt like death for about 2 weeks but I did it and got hough it. I stayed off them for over a year and then a bereavement and severe depression made me start up again. Gp prescribed them once again for my back and I was right back to square one. However gp stopped my prescription and I have started buying nurofen plus and solpadene max over the counter. I take 3 solpadene and 4 nurofen plus at once. I do this about 4x per day sometimes more sometimes less. I know it's really bad for me but I just feel I'm so hooked I can't stop. I am so ashamed and disgusted because to look at me you would not think I'm a dirty drug addict. I wish I coukd just stop amd I try then I get stressed with kids and pop a few pills amd calm is restored. Please help amd is anyone else addicted to codeine or other opioits. From what I've read on the net it's way more common than people think. Please help

KatyN Fri 13-Nov-15 17:09:31

I don't have any experience but I would recommend you speak to your gp. They aren't going to judge or stop you taking them cold turkey but offer advice.

Good luck, k

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:14:45

Thanks. Can anyone see my email address etc iv posted on mumsnet ? I'm new to it and hoped my profile woykd be anonymous? ? I don't know how this works . Thanks for advice. Yeh I will speak to gp. I'm not off my head or anything g it just calms me down and gives me a rush of energy so I can tackle day to day jobs . Ridiculous I am

Rhubarbarian Fri 13-Nov-15 17:19:07

Don't worry OP, we can't all see your email address.

hardheadedwoman Fri 13-Nov-15 17:20:58

Please be careful - my friend had a stomach ulcer from overdoing it on neurofen

thequickbrownfox Fri 13-Nov-15 17:22:52

You need to tell the GP you don't want a prescription instead of he over counter drugs you are taking. I've bitter experience of this and the GP wasn't the most help. You've done it before and you really sound like you want to stop again - have you considered drugs counselling at all? Wishing you all the best with this challenge - stay focused on the fact your life will be so much better without this crap in your system flowers

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:23:51

What details are visible to other mumsnetters ??

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:25:13

Thank you the quick. Yes I know life will be better clean.I did do it before so know I can do it again. It's just sufficing the willpower to go cold turkey again. It was hell on earth and the worst flu ever. May I ask have u had simular addiction ???

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:28:04

It's more common than people think and is now why chemists ask a million questions when buying otc codeine based products.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 13-Nov-15 17:32:08

I cant see anything OP, don't worry

and you are not a "dirty drug addict" please don't speak of yourself that way

but yeah you need some help hey?

start here www.talktofrank.com/drug/codeine

its a long road and you have taken the first step in naming you have a problem TRUST me, I know many who have not even managed this OP!

thequickbrownfox Fri 13-Nov-15 17:33:43

No, but my dd's dad did. Sadly his problem escalated very badly (he was taking whole packets of nurofen + at once - 36 pills). The GP clearly did not know what on earth to do with him and prescribed him a maintenance dose. He ended up in hospital more than once.

You are doing the right thing tackling it now, drugs do nothing but steal from you.

thequickbrownfox Fri 13-Nov-15 17:35:00

There's a guy in the west of Scotland who has a webpage dedicated to otc drug addiction, I'll see if I can find it.

Alchemist Fri 13-Nov-15 17:36:57

It sounds dreadful and you have tapped into my current fears.

I have a pinned leg and the after approx 10 years the pins have moved and I am taking large amounts of co-codamol 30mg x 2, 4 times a day. I was laid flat by that dose only a couple of weeks ago but now it has become "normal" and it is worrying me. However, they do mask the pain.

I send you best wishes and thanks

thequickbrownfox Fri 13-Nov-15 17:38:40

It's called Over Count and was started by a guy who was addicted to otc medication. They have a support network and withdrawal programme which is free. He was a brilliant source of information to us years ago.

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:41:54

Thankfully I'm not at that stage and kind of know when not to go over board. My kids are well looked after and I attend all sorts of clubs with them.they are always well dressed and fed. Although I know I'm addicted and taking more than recommended at the moment my maximum I take in one go is 4 tablets . Which is still disgusting but I never go over that amount for fear of damaging myself . I probably all ready am but I'm not at that stage just yet op. I am not high nor am I slumped in a heap. I'm fully functioning and able to just tackle my silly jobs. It just gives me a little energy boost and when kids doing my head in it calms me . Although not always haha anyways some days I barely take any and others I take loads . It's very addictive codeine amd gos hand them out like smarties .I wish I'd never been prescribed them . I was never reviewed and always just gave more tablets when my repeat script went in. I can't blame the gp as I am ultimately responsible but iv never touched a drug in my life apart from alcohol which I don't over indulge in at all. Iv never tried pot or nothing but here I am addicted to a tablet I was prescribed . Very sad state of affairs

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 17:44:27

Be careful alchemist but obviously u need them for pain so don't be a martyr and suffer. Do u get the energy boost/chilled/can conquer the world feeling ???

thequickbrownfox Fri 13-Nov-15 17:46:49

Don't beat yourself up, you are one of millions. You can do it, it's so important that you have acknowledged you have a problem flowers

Alchemist Fri 13-Nov-15 18:23:02

At least for the first week, I could not function. Honestly. I got up, fed kids, took tablets and then I was knocked out. I dropped the dose to 30mg, 3 times a day and felt mentally better but the pain was too much so it has crept up again. I have not been on these tablets long but I know I can't manage without them. And that really frightens me.

The way the tablets make me feel is floaty. Nothing could be further from the truth - I am limping heavily and have to use my stick. But I feel like I drift around.

thanks

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 18:23:10

Thanks brown fox . You have made me smile at least . I still feel ashamed but I guess it's only me that can conger this. Weird thing is I never take any before 8am or after 3pm ??? I don't NEED it all the time and never wake in night for it etc

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 18:23:44

Conquer- damn phone haha

LockedBox Fri 13-Nov-15 18:30:18

You have been so brave in posting this and this can really become your turning point.

I'm not sure whether there are dangers associated with stopping taking these tablets "cold turkey" but I wonder whether you can take the bull by the horns over this weekend and at least cut right back, and then get a GP appointment for next week.

I've heard wonderful things about NA. There is a drug addiction support thread over in the relationship topic with bags of support and they seem a lovely bunch. Have a little look.

Good luck to you (and you are totally anonymous here on MN BTW, please don't worry about that)

Crankycunt Fri 13-Nov-15 18:31:44

Op I am in the same boat as you. I have a back problem, and take them to kill pain, i was prescribed 30/500 but am now relying on neurofen plus and cocodamol, however I have realised that I am taking them when I'm not in pain to get that warm fuzzy feeling.

I know that I have a problem with them and I need to do something about it, I'm due a review for a different med soon, so I'm going to speak to my Dr about it. The amount of ibuprofen and paracetamol I'm taking can not be good for my body.

It actually feels like a relief that I've been honest about it, ok it's an Internet forum but someone will read this.

I wish you all the best op flowers

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 18:38:00

Locked iv done cold turkey before and it's just like mega mega bad flu. I had no appetite and the pains in my legs and body was unbearable I also had diohrea but no vomiting. I did it and felt amazing being clean but then fast forward a year and half and I started again grrrrrrrrrrr I coukd kick myself and when I get clean again I will NEVER EVER take another codeine based tablet again. Stupidly I thought I'd be able to handle it again but I couldn't as I kept justifying needing them . I know I need to go ct again and then NEVER EVER go near opioits again xxx

Cranky- well done for being so honest . Why don't we hand hold eachother and try and help each other out ???? Huge well done for being so honest though. It takes guts .they are the devils tablets in my eyes. Iv never even smoked a cigarette yet I'm addicted to little white tablets or otc ones when I can't get the little white ones ? It's silly but definitely beatable blush

ashamed1986 Fri 13-Nov-15 18:40:26

Cranky - may I ask how many nurofen plus and cocodomol tablets you take ??? I take 4 nurofen plus (sometimes 3) and 2 or sometimes 3 cocodomol all at once so it's about 75mg of codeine . Thus lasts me 2-3 hrs before I take more. But I don't take any over night and my first load is about 830am and last load about 3pm xx

OldeEnglish Fri 13-Nov-15 18:49:26

It is much more common than people think and very easy to get hooked on too, OP. But it's good that you have noticed it's a problem and want to do something about it. 

My DF had a codeine addiction, it gradually got to the point where he would take daily overdoses because he liked the buzz. When his GP stopped prescribing them he started buying over the counter, eventually all of our local chemists refused to serve him so he would travel miles to buy some. He died suddenly last year from arrhythmia that he developed because of his ongoing addiction. 

I hope I don't offend by sharing that as I have read your posts and understand your addiction isn't as far along as his was. You are certainly not a drug addict and it's very brave of you to confront this and admit it is a problem. All the best ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now