to not have a clue what to get my parents for Christmas...

(21 Posts)
cjt110 Fri 13-Nov-15 12:29:00

It was my Mums 50th this year so got her some really nice gifts (jewellery, choccys and upgraded her overnight stay to a suite). For my Dads birthday I got him some token gifts to open and also tickets to see Star Wars when it comes out in Dec.

Now stumped for gifts for Christmas. Theyve had a bit of a shit time lately and I just want to spoil them again but I don't have a clue what to get them.

Any suggestions are welcome.

NB. My Mum doesnt drink, isnt in to spa type days/events. My Dad isnt keen on eventy type things.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Fri 13-Nov-15 12:31:54

Theatre vouchers? Cinema subscription?

Birdsgottafly Fri 13-Nov-15 12:38:06

I want to go and see the Emmerdale set, I'm nearly 50.

I'm starting to ask my adult children for city breaks, or a contribution to, in some cases.

I've had theatre and cinema vouchers, as well.

imsorryiasked Fri 13-Nov-15 13:03:48

National Trust / English Heritage membership? I think they both do a life membership if you wanted more than an annual pass.
Nice bench / furniture if they have a garden.
Subscription to an on demand tv/films if they would make use of it.

cjt110 Fri 13-Nov-15 13:07:01

Good idea on the film subscription imsorryiasked as Dad has just had to cancel his Sky subscription.

Pipestheghost Fri 13-Nov-15 13:10:09

Weekend in a nice hotel (if you can afford it), especially seeing as they've had a shit time recently.
Book a cream tea in a local tea room or hotel.
Theatre/cinema tickets.

cjt110 Fri 13-Nov-15 13:14:14

My budget is probably about £20 each

PirateSmile Fri 13-Nov-15 13:19:14

I've just bought DP a Dolce Gusto coffee machine from Curry's. It was reduced to £39.99. That would be a lovely joint present if they like coffee?

cjt110 Fri 13-Nov-15 13:26:37

Pirate Nope - Dad does, mum hates it sad

Am thinking might do them a joint hamper of nice treats for them both (posh tea, coffee, biccys etc) for £20 and then spend £10 each on them.

wynkenblinkennod Fri 13-Nov-15 13:27:43

My parents are really difficult to get presents for as they never want to go anywhere or do anything. But I get a big xmas bag and put in it lots of boxes of nuts and dried fruit (holland and barrett have nice boxes of them at xmas). Also bottles of apple juice etc from m&s, non alcoholic bottles of ginger beer from holland and barrett again. Just put in lots of special food goodies that they maybe wouldnt buy themselves? My dad always seems to like that (or so he tells me!).

wynkenblinkennod Fri 13-Nov-15 13:29:15

Cross post! And yes I put in lots of things like tea, biscuits too.

cjt110 Fri 13-Nov-15 13:36:40

wynkenblinkennod Great minds. I did this one year for them and they loved it. I put things in they either mutually liked or things like nice coffee for Dad, nice tea for Mum etc

lardyscouse Fri 13-Nov-15 13:37:13

I got Ma and Pa a bag of frozen meat from the butcher last year, venison sausage etc, all in portions for two. They seemed to like it.

florentina1 Fri 13-Nov-15 14:39:45

Lakeland do lovely old-fashioned sweets in small packages. You could wrap them up in away that they open one packet every day after Christmas. Sort of Advent calendar in reverse.

dot91 Fri 13-Nov-15 15:31:15

I'm in my early 50's and my husband and I would love restaurant vouchers or a groupon voucher for a meal .

MelanieCheeks Fri 13-Nov-15 15:34:56

It's become a tradition now that each year I get a personalised calendar done for my parents. I ask my siblings to send me some good photos of things they and theirs have done this year, or of places they've visited, and use them in a Photobox or similar calendar. It's much appreciated, they love showing it off to visitors, and I know my Mum keeps the old ones to look back on.

WitchWay Fri 13-Nov-15 15:40:41

I'm 50 & would like a Majestic Wine voucher please :-)

For my mum I get her tokens for her local naice expensive farm shop

For PILs we send a hamper form a local delicatessen

Done the same thing for a few years now & it works well. When Dad was alive I used to send him & Mum takens for their favourite restaurant smile

Buxtonstill Fri 13-Nov-15 15:40:55

Does your Dad have a favourite sweet from childhood? My DH loves those liquorice Catherine wheels. I bought a wholesale box of 100 of them on eBay for about £12. He loved the idea, and it lasted him a good few months. They sell allsorts in bulk. Sherbet lemons in jars etc. Far better value than the twee little jars in Boots and M&S that cost over a fiver for 100g of sweets. (I remember when a quarter of boiled sweets were 25p.....)

Fieryfighter Fri 13-Nov-15 15:41:09

Given current behaviour mine are getting a pram to throw toys out of gringringrin

cjt110 Fri 13-Nov-15 15:44:44

I've found a recipe or coffee creams which he loves so Im going to make him some of those and found some truffle recipes for my Mum grin

glenthebattleostrich Fri 13-Nov-15 16:04:01

Cine world do a voucher for £20. 2 cinema tickets, popcorn drinks and maltesers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now