To sometimes feel like a brusque tweedy old lady on MN

(392 Posts)
Imogentlasting Wed 04-Nov-15 10:52:26

I'm not that old, but some of the views on here really astound me. No one touch my child (on a thread I started); Christmas is just for me and my little unit, no relatives allowed; how dare an elderly person park in a P&T space; etc etc etc

AIBU to sometimes think the world is slowly going mad?

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 04-Nov-15 10:56:24

Agree!!

Pootles2010 Wed 04-Nov-15 10:57:12

I think a lot of people are suffering sleep deprivation - this is my only theory!

MorrisZapp Wed 04-Nov-15 10:58:34

Women have always dreaded doing all the thankless work at Christmas. If they can say no to that then that's progress in my view. My older female relatives lived as family drudges, it was expected. Thank god times change.

Can't help you with the parking bit, I've never seen anybody say that on here.

goodnightdarthvader1 Wed 04-Nov-15 10:59:30

Agree. I'm particularly disliking how many ordinary words and phrases have suddenly become offensive, rude or "triggering".

BlueJug Wed 04-Nov-15 10:59:46

Agree. The interesting question is why - as it always is. Who benefits from the attitudes prevalent in today's society? What has changed?

Imogentlasting Wed 04-Nov-15 11:08:28

Glad it's not just me. There have been several threads lately where I've felt like bustling in, telling everyone not to be so silly, and sending them out for a run around in some healthy fresh air.

BlueJug Wed 04-Nov-15 11:12:25

Agree too about the thankless work at Christmas though - but I don't think that is what is the heart of the OP's observation.

There is an imbalance - a conflict even - between outrage over specific crimes or words and complete lack of the bigger picture. Not able to go in to specifics as have to go to work now but will check back in and see where this goes.

WorraLiberty Wed 04-Nov-15 11:15:16

There have been several threads lately where I've felt like bustling in, telling everyone not to be so silly, and sending them out for a run around in some healthy fresh air.

Just tell 'em! I do. It's actually quite cathartic grin

Fortunately, most of the attitudes I see on Mumsnet, in no way represent my experience of real life.

I can't imagine the joyless misery of life, if it actually did.

RB68 Wed 04-Nov-15 11:15:42

I agree - everyone always off in the deep end of me me me, mine mine mine and everyone is a pervert - sad really and explains why there is so little community today

maybebabybee Wed 04-Nov-15 11:16:50

I'm only 26 and I agree with you, so if you are an harrumphing old lady then so am I smile

Imogentlasting Wed 04-Nov-15 11:19:53

I might send some of them for a term in Malory Towers Worral. Three months of matron clapping her hands and not standing for any nonsense would sort them out smile

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Wed 04-Nov-15 11:23:16

Oh yes I'm with you. I think most threads can be covered with one of the following phrases:

Belt up!
If you like, only you care
Who gives a shit
Grow up
Grow up
No

I have been having a pleasant foray into classics of late and it reminded me how much less judgemental it was on here previously with a much sharper sense of humour. It's still here but I do find the permanently offended bloody miserable, humourless bastard.'s tiresome and boring!

MissBattleaxe Wed 04-Nov-15 11:24:02

Imogentlasting- I've been getting very disillusioned lately with Mumsnet lately but you are like a breath of fresh air! I agree and I feel like I'm with my own tribe on this thread.

mateysmum Wed 04-Nov-15 11:25:11

I know what you mean. Social attitudes have changed dramatically in the last 20 or so years and things that I was brought up to believe were eternal truths/ set in stone social habits have now been swept away. Much of this has been to the good, but it does leave one all at sea sometimes.

Like you I just want to yell " oh for pete's sake, just get over yourself and get on with it"

WorraLiberty Wed 04-Nov-15 11:30:09

When I see 'No one touch my child', 'Christmas is just for me and my little unit, no relatives allowed'...or (as is sometimes seen) 'I don't want my PILs to see my newborn baby, until it's 2 weeks old' etc...

It makes me think (rightly or wrongly) that the person lacks control in other parts of their lives.

It's like they feel now they've had a baby, they have some sort of 'power' that they never had before.

It's sad really, because they're often pushing away the very people who they would need around them, if something awful were to happen in their lives.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 04-Nov-15 11:32:24

people seem to have completely lost the knack of forgiveness, and understanding of others point of view.
e.g. "My MIL wanted to see her grandchild before she was a year old how dare she only my mother and I are allowed to see the little precious"
next thread "why won't my MIl babysit?"
responses "selfish bitch, cut her out".

FadedRed Wed 04-Nov-15 11:33:13

Yay Imogen, spot on! Haven even thinking exactly the same as you have written.
Glad it is not just me.
Currently reading a book about women working during WWII - and imagining the threads on MN if some of the 'misery' posters had to cope with the conditions these women lived and worked in. They wouldn't last five minutes!
As for the Christmas family threads, some are sooo selfish, it makes me sad.
I'd love to spend Christmas with DM and DAunt, but they both died during the past year. So glad we were them last Christmas as usual, despite having had a 'better offer'.
I know some people have a dreadful life and need the support of this website, but there are some who need a slap taste of reality and a bit of compassion and common sense. smile

wigglesrock Wed 04-Nov-15 11:33:43

I will admit to muttering the phrase "oh catch yourself on" to more than the majority of threads I've read lately. I thought it was me, I am becoming worse at hiding my minor irritation blush

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Wed 04-Nov-15 11:33:48

I am only in my 30s and I often feel this too.

Maybe we should all start typing "oh get over yourself ".

FadedRed Wed 04-Nov-15 11:35:34

'Haven' should read 'Have been' . Bliddy autumn-carrot! Bloody auto-correct!

Preminstreltension Wed 04-Nov-15 11:36:01

YY to all of this.

Brisk no-nonsense with those posters is the way to go. Along with smiling happily at people who try to do nice things like acknowledge your cute baby or offer sweets to your child those effing bastards

GrinAndTonic Wed 04-Nov-15 11:37:07

Imogen I'm just imagining you walking into a thread a la Darrel Rivers style and giving the Gwendolyn's a good slapping.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 04-Nov-15 11:39:24

I often think I'm turning into French and Saunders's old women

I want to bristle and shout 'stuff and nonsense stuff and nonsense'

which I often do

I find some of the things people get into a twist about so utterly banal and silly

Imogentlasting Wed 04-Nov-15 11:39:56

I think some of them could also do with Alicia speaking her mind, and Belinda sketching their mimsy expressions smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now