AIBU to be properly annoyed with this latest cold calling technique?

(11 Posts)

Received a call on my mobile tonight. I don't get many calls and I didn't recognise the number. My dh is in hospital and my first thought was that it was the doctor calling with news, as we've been waiting for some for days. It stopped ringing almost straightaway and I thought I'd accidentally binned it in my flustered haste to answer. So I called the number back.

Not the hospital after all. I get a pre-recorded message asking if I or a member of my family have had an accident angry Isn't it bad enough to get these infuriating calls, now I've got to listen to the crap at my own expense???!

I'm already registered with the TPS. Still the calls keep coming. This is a new low though.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 03-Nov-15 23:18:31

Block the number and have a chuckle to yourself when you think of them trying to dial your number and getting cut off. They are fuckers and YANBU, that is a new low.

Flashbangandgone Wed 04-Nov-15 00:22:55

YANBU Appalling tactics.

chumbler Wed 04-Nov-15 01:35:09

Maybe let your provider know if you're on contract, that phone call might have cost you a lot... If so you could find out now and see if they'll refund you

Next time you could Google unknown numbers. Hope your family member recovers soon flowers

BusShelter Wed 04-Nov-15 01:56:10

Did a number come up? If so you should report it to the ICO INFORMATION HERE. It only takes a few minutes. Is both your home phone and you mobile registered with the TPS?

I have spoken to my network provider via India and I am utterly appalled. I disconnected the call after 4 seconds. I am being charged £6.60 angryangryangry

Thanks for that link Bus. Will certainly lodge a complaint. I'm just as annoyed with myself as I am them, I wouldn't usually fall for this kind of scam but they caught me off guard at a low moment. This kind of thing needs to be stopped.

Oh and yes my mobile number was registered with the TPS. It was quite a while ago so I've just registered it again.

gamerchick Wed 04-Nov-15 09:05:43

Always google the number first.

That is pretty crap and obviously a money spinner, greedy bastards angry

Rememberallball Wed 04-Nov-15 09:07:16

TPS registration only applies to calls that originate in the UK. Most of these companies employ international call centres with the express purpose of circumventing the TPS rules. I also don't think the ICO covers calls originating abroad but can investigate uk based ones.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames Wed 04-Nov-15 09:25:32

Agree always google if you don't recognise it. My rule is if it's important they'll leave a message or call back.

New one seems to be that they call from a proper number not 0800.

Ricardian Wed 04-Nov-15 10:44:04

Most of these companies employ international call centres with the express purpose of circumventing the TPS rules. I also don't think the ICO covers calls originating abroad but can investigate uk based ones.

The legislation covers UK companies employing overseas call centres.

It should be enforced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now