To ask if anyone else has unexplained "physic" moments

(310 Posts)
mellowheart Tue 20-Oct-15 13:50:36

I can't explain how this happens but my DH will often start singing a song that I've just suddenly thought of in my head. It's often a very obscure type song, definitely not one he's heard recently. It happens immediately after I've thought it. This has also happened with others but much more often with DH. It's like he's picking up my thoughts, itms. Anyone else get similar type things?

wasonthelist Tue 20-Oct-15 13:55:03

I get psychic stuff like this all the time - thought everyone did - eg think about my sis, phone rings, it's her etc

Gottagetmoving Tue 20-Oct-15 13:56:37

Yes, quite often. My DP will be reading something on his ipad and I will mention something related to the same subject without knowing he was reading about it.
Or like you, he will start humming a tune I was thinking about. I think it happens between people who are close. No idea why though!
I think it is a bit psychic,..he says that is nonsense it is pure coincidence.
grin

00100001 Tue 20-Oct-15 13:57:26

Its confirmation bias

mellowheart Tue 20-Oct-15 13:57:35

I thought I'd spelt psychic wrong. smile

TellMeALittle Tue 20-Oct-15 14:00:46

Years ago, we were having dinner at my dps' house when I predicted a power cut, and did a countdown, when I got to zero - all the lights went out!

I was called a witch for that one.

wasonthelist Tue 20-Oct-15 14:01:53

Lots of things happen I can't explain - it doesn't mean I think I have psychic powers or anything (any more than anyone else).

EponasWildDaughter Tue 20-Oct-15 14:14:27

Yes, it happens a lot between DH and i. But i wonder how much is just shared suggestion (hearing or seeing something around the same time) making us both think the same thing because our minds work very similarly.

However - I did have a very odd experience when i was about 15.

My parents went on hols and (unwisely) left me and my best mate alone in charge of the family house for two weeks. No parties ... oh no ...

We decided to do sod all housework until the day before parents were due home and then blitz the house.

4 DAYS before they were due home friend and i were lolloping round the living room watching the TV, when i had clearest image pop into my head of my parents in their car on a specific stretch of road about 30 minutes drive away.

I leaped up and began grabbing things up and tidying like a thing possessed, yelling to friend to hurry up for gods sake, mum and dad would be here in half an hour!

Friend was confused and hmm - but complied.

Guess what? 30 mins later the car pulls up and in walked my mum and dad to a reasonably tidy house. Friend was shockshock.

They'd come home early for various reasons, but had not warned us because they wanted to catch us out 'surprise' us. Ha! Cant catch me out DPs grin

TheWernethWife Tue 20-Oct-15 20:29:52

I ran out of Cromarty Church once, it was daytime so no dark shadows etc.

Just had an overwhelming feeling of terror and got out as fast as I could.

Qwertybynature Tue 20-Oct-15 20:34:20

I just read the title and thought blimey, this is a bit intellectual for a Tuesday night. No unexplained physics moments from me I'm afraid although my pen rolled off the table once. Does that count? smile

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Tue 20-Oct-15 20:45:35

It's called a confirmation bias.
There have been several occasions that I have been thinking of a song and it comes on the radio.
There have been loads of occasions where I have been thinking of a song and it hadn't come on the radio.
Which occasions am I more likely to remember?

RB68 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:45:38

All the time, I often answer questions hubby was about to ask as he opens his mouth to ask. We also do random conversations that can be a mix of topics from the previous few weeks and continue convos the same way. I am good at predicting things with a bit of thought, and def get feelings for certain conversations and will often just say "you know what blah blah blah" and it comes true. I have picked up phones and said Hello xyz without realising and its been them even though they don't regularly call.

I once was in a village with two village greens that I knew had a connection with out family and stopped walking and phoned my Dad to confirm which village had the connection and which house - I was stood outside it (apparently I had sat in the pram outside it on a visit once at 6mths) so yes often.

Hubs calls me witchy

BlueThursday Tue 20-Oct-15 20:54:11

I had a feeling there would be a shooting near my house and less than a week later there was.

To be fair though it's not that unusual here so it was bound to happen sometime

d270r0 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:55:50

Last year I was sat with my 3 year old son on the sofa when I suddenly got a really clear image in my head of a van crashing into the front window, my son and I hurt badly and buried in heaps of bricks. Then my son looked at me and said, completely out of the blue " Then I would be really hurt and it would be very, very bad". It never happened- I asked him what he meant but he didn't say any more. I was a bit weirded out!

SoDiana Tue 20-Oct-15 20:58:34

Have this all the time with dp. Im worried about something and he'll ask about it. Dream about something and he will have dreamed it.
Talking to people and we both reply with the same thing several times.
We are not identical twins

landrover Tue 20-Oct-15 20:59:50

Happens to me all the time, so much so that only my hubby knows, otherwise people would freak out!

carelesswhisper1987 Tue 20-Oct-15 21:02:31

Years ago my brother and me were playing that game where you give the other person a celebrity and they ask yes/no questions to try and guess who they are. We were taking in turns to guess - quite late at night - no telly on. I eventually guessed mine - Eamon Holmes; my face turned to shock as it was the same person I'd given my brother! We still talk about it now!

SoDiana Tue 20-Oct-15 21:03:40

Thinking of carrying out a bank heist. Himself will surely instinctively know our story hmm while we're in questioning

carelesswhisper1987 Tue 20-Oct-15 21:03:44

(Added details because we hadn't been watching GMTV or anything like that - we'd actually both tried to think of someone the other was unlikely to get!)

ConfusedInBath Tue 20-Oct-15 21:06:48

My weirdest one was the day the twin towers were hit.

It was DS's 2nd birthday and we'd been for a walk, when we came home we went round the back way.
As I walked to my door I looked to my left at the sky and felt so so strange. I vividly thought that if Armaggedon were to happen it would be a day like this. Still sky, no birds, no noise.

I went into my kitchen and put the news on and saw what had happened. I rang my friend to tell her that I had felt that this was coming.

CheesyNachos Tue 20-Oct-15 21:15:00

The day before DS was born I dreamed of a little boy who was standing at the window and he turned and looked at me and smiled.

It was the absolute image of DS as he is now.

The boy in my dream had a long mop of curly black hair. When the midwife was checking me when in labour she said; 'oooh! I can feel lots of hair' and I said matter of factly; 'yes. I know. '

I do have visions though sometimes. I remember when my Dad was driving me and my pony along with the horsebox and I was daydreaming. I was about 13 maybe. I suddelnly said; 'We are going to run over a dog'. No more than 50 metres down the road a doberman ran out suddenly and we did indeed run over it. (Fairly miraculously, the dog was fine...... it tumbled underneath the horsebox and only had bruises... it was incredible). My father still refers to that and it was 30 years ago.

tywinlannister Tue 20-Oct-15 21:18:59

This happens to me a lot. I genuinely thought I was psychic for many years but I actually had temporal lobe epilepsy (with no unconscious seizures).

My neurologist tells me people can go their whole lives not knowing they have this type of epilepsy. So I put most psychic activity down to a brain misfire. Sorry.

Littleallovertheshop Tue 20-Oct-15 21:25:28

Don't believe it's psychic or anything but I've known I was absolutely going to bump into someone a few times and it's happened in unlikely places. It's Confirmation bias but still!

bertsdinner Tue 20-Oct-15 21:57:23

I sometimes get a feeling something is going to happen, and it does, in a vague way. An example is my parents were driving us home after picking me up from university. I'd had a vague, uneasy feeling about the journey, and kept thinking of wheels. A tyre blew on the motorway, it was nothing major and didn't cause an accident.
Sometimes, I "know" something will or wont happen, again in a very vague way. For example, a friend wanted to go to the cinema one evening and I "knew" we wouldnt go. It was more than wondering if a friend would cancel, it was feeling that i just knew we wouldnt be going. She ended up cancelling, its stuff like that, very vague and inconsequential.

I don't really believe in psychics, clairvoyacy etc, maybe its just coincidence, I dont know.

CrapBag Tue 20-Oct-15 22:05:05

I get things like this. I'll think of a certain random episode of a programme and it will be on, things like that.

My weirdest one was with DD. I had the strangest feeling all day that I was going to get pregnant that night and it would be a girl. Took 3 years with DS and being told it was unlikely we'd ever have children naturally. When it came to DC 2, doctor said try earlier then planned as likely to take a while, so I came off the pill. I just knew we had to have sex that day becajse it was going tl haplen, even though it was the first month and itnhad taken so long before. It was the only time we actually had sex that month and yes I got pregnant and it was a girl. I knew instantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now