Employer wants to change my hours. Help!!

(10 Posts)
WalfordEast Sat 17-Oct-15 19:57:02

I took a part time job 8 weeks ago working 3 days a week, which fits in with me running my own business.

Boss came to me today and told me they want to change 2 of my days, and from day to night shifts. Id told her id go home and think about it- but I just cant do it.

Can they fire me?

Babyroobs Sat 17-Oct-15 19:59:43

I guess it depends what your contract says.

MsJamieFraser Sat 17-Oct-15 20:01:32

The easily explanation is Yes, they can fire you for any reason, as you have under 2 years service with them, most companies don't even have to give you are reason either.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 17-Oct-15 20:02:27

Yes, they can.

Collaborate Sat 17-Oct-15 20:05:14

They can do what they want. As you've been there for less than 2 years you have no recourse through employment legislation.

You can say no.I'm not sure I'd fancy working for people who thought they could do things like this.

Lurkedforever1 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:11:29

Depends what your contract says.

lorelei9 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:28:54

my understanding is your contract won't matter - with under 2 years' service, they can do what they like?

ilovesooty Sat 17-Oct-15 20:31:30

Yes as others have said with under two years ' service they can just let you go.

Lilaclily Sat 17-Oct-15 20:45:53

Gosh op so sorry to hear this

Do you think they're trying to get rid of you by telling you to to nights when they know you won't want to ?
Are they in financial trouble or have you any reason to think they want to let you go ?

Lurkedforever1 Sat 17-Oct-15 21:16:13

Yes but if ops contract clearly demonstrates changing the shifts/ days breaks it, you can threaten them with legal action for breach of contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now