AIBU, the MIL iinvites us to dinner but gives us lunch

(121 Posts)
Greensmiff Sat 17-Oct-15 10:49:05

We are having meat and rolls, my DH's favourite. But it's lunch not dinner, or is it just me?

MrsMook Sat 17-Oct-15 10:51:33

If it's cold, it's not a dinner. Especially at lunchtime.

yorkshapudding Sat 17-Oct-15 10:52:04

I agree it's a bit mean (and also a bit lazy) to invite someone to dinner and serve sandwiches but I'm sure others be along any minute to accuse you of "MIL bashing" and being "entitled" for expecting a hot meal grin

OnlyThePurpleOnes Sat 17-Oct-15 10:52:27

Yep, just you. Maybe you could agree a menu in advance next time?

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 17-Oct-15 10:52:30

What time is it being served? Unless it's not the time you were originally told or there's not going to be enough food, I don't really see the problem?

Tiredemma Sat 17-Oct-15 10:53:01

sounds like a 'snack' to me.

elementofsurprise Sat 17-Oct-15 10:53:52

I've always thought the same as MrsMook... but depending on where in the country you are plus an influence from (sorry) social class, apparenty "dinner" can mean the midday meal regardless!

expatinscotland Sat 17-Oct-15 10:54:23

It's just you.

NerrSnerr Sat 17-Oct-15 10:55:01

What time is she serving it? Afternoon or evening? I call the afternoon meal dinner whether it's a sandwich or a hot meal.

GabiSolis Sat 17-Oct-15 10:55:35

Does it matter?! It's still food!

MrsBranestawm Sat 17-Oct-15 10:55:59

If you're having it right now, it's brunch isn't it?

Tarzanlovesgaby Sat 17-Oct-15 10:57:06

food is food.

hesterton Sat 17-Oct-15 10:57:46

Surely you're there to see her not to fuss about exactly what food you are eating.

Morganly Sat 17-Oct-15 10:58:34

It's tea. They probs have a cooked lunch.

RedButtonhole Sat 17-Oct-15 10:59:12

What time is it being served at?

I would have meat and rolls, or a sandwich or something at dinner time. Usually about 12.30pm.

Wouldn't have a hot meal at dinnertime unless it was soup, toastie etc.

Stratter5 Sat 17-Oct-15 11:00:01

What now? Isn't that elevenses?

scalliondays Sat 17-Oct-15 11:01:32

Well at least you have a lovely pudding to look forwards to - you did offer to take one didn't you?

Bunbaker Sat 17-Oct-15 11:04:06

Haven't you got anything more important to worry about?

I agree that it depends on the region and/or social class as to what the midday meal is called.

MIL is from the north east and a cooked meal at midday is dinner. I am from the south east and the midday meal is lunch, regardless of whether it is a sandwich or a three course meal.

To me dinner is either school dinners or a posh evening meal.

Normally, in our house, the evening meal is tea regardless of what time it is served or whether it is cooked or not. We do have the occasional (very informal) dinner party though.

bakingaddict Sat 17-Oct-15 11:05:10

What time are you expected to be there? Is it a dinner/tea or lunch/dinner confusion.

ThatsDissapointing Sat 17-Oct-15 11:05:50

Id call meat rolls lunch but I'd call a cooked meal at lunchtime lunch too. Dinner only happens in the evening ....or at school.

I think serving meat rolls for a daytime meal is perfect and if they are your DHs favourite then I can see why your MIL has served them.

YABU (assuming they are nice) wink

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 17-Oct-15 11:07:23

It is your DH's favourite she is his mother, she is likely to know this piece of information.

Therefore no matter how odd I think it is,it is perfectly acceptable

yorkshapudding Sat 17-Oct-15 11:12:58

Where I'm from the word "dinner" invariably means a hot meal, usually something along the lines of a roast, so it would be a bit strange to invite someone for dinner and then serve sandwiches but I can see from other posters that this obviously isn't the case everywhere so I retract my earlier post!

Oysterbabe Sat 17-Oct-15 11:16:12

Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Irrespective of what is served in this house.

What time is the meal? I think serving rolls for dinner is a bit crap but I doubt I'd care much.

GreyBird84 Sat 17-Oct-15 11:16:37

I'm with needasock. Your MIL has made DH favourite for dinner. Pretty normal IMO.

sleeponeday Sat 17-Oct-15 11:20:18

I don't really understand the question, because language varies so much on meals.

We eat lunch in the middle of the day, and supper in the evening, and dinner is a big meal in the evening you ask people to, so if she asked you for a dinner one evening and then served up baps, I can see why you are confused, but then again she is family, and your DH loves them, so not a big deal.

If you are asking why she asked you for a midday meal and gave you sarnies, and because she called it dinner (hot meal) and you think a cold one should be called lunch, I don't really see a problem, either. It's just a word, and she uses different ones to you. Not a big thing.

Is it that she is winding you up so much that all she does grates, or something? This does seem fine, tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now