To be sick of the English getting overexcited about plastic bag charges

(57 Posts)
NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 14-Oct-15 17:39:26

When Wales has had it for four years and ours is all shops and paper bags as well and we just get on with it? And when it came in there weren't news stories about people stealing shopping baskets rather than pay the humongous amount of 5 pence for a bag! There are bigger issues people. Not just in the world but surely in your own life? Like what to have for dinner and why you never notice the tv remote is the other side of the room til after you've sat down. Get a grip!

EatDessertFirst Wed 14-Oct-15 17:40:05

Not another one!!

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Oct-15 17:41:15

Oh not this bollocks again.

We had a Scot saying the same thing the other night and the thread got deleted.

It's just the 'in moan' right now and it'll be something else next week.

For the record, there are lots of threads on the internet by Welsh and Scottish people moaning about it.

RoseWithoutAThorn Wed 14-Oct-15 17:41:50

biscuit.

Flaming0pie Wed 14-Oct-15 17:42:02

YABU

laffymeal Wed 14-Oct-15 17:43:12

Yes, it was my thread that got deleted. You're on a hiding to nothing NotMe. My thread was hijacked by two posters who were very unpleasant and MNHQ zapped it because it became a bunfight.

This will end up exactly the same no doubt.

Nonnainglese Wed 14-Oct-15 17:43:56

Clearly -- the decidedly smug buggers already used to not having bags-- are bored (and very boring)

ShelaghTurner Wed 14-Oct-15 17:45:11

Oh don't bloody read it then. I'm English and couldn't give a toss about bag charges so the threads don't bother me. But the whinging like this does. Unless someone's got a gun to your head then yabu and very dull.

itsmine Wed 14-Oct-15 17:45:13

'Get a grip!' and you too op. There are indeed 'bigger issues people', it's a tiny minority that the media harp on about.
No one I know gives a monkey's. grin

WendyTorrance Wed 14-Oct-15 17:45:49

I'm in England and couldn't give a shite about the bag charge. Don't know anyone who does, not heard anyone mention it.

JapaneseSlipper Wed 14-Oct-15 17:45:50

I agree, who gives a hoot? Carry a reusable bag. On the occasions you forget, pay 5p for a bag and feel happy knowing that it's going to charity. Buy biodegradable bags for your rubbish bin. The end.

SunshineAndShadows Wed 14-Oct-15 17:45:56

Well I'm English but living in Scotland and I have to say it came in here without any fuss that I noticed - certainly not multiple threads on MN. It does seem a fuss over not very much

reni2 Wed 14-Oct-15 17:47:09

Wales are really good at taking a bag to the shop, well done, the sign of a truly great nation!

I can think of other things Wales does really well that are way more important.

PurplePoppy17 Wed 14-Oct-15 17:47:26

I'm Scottish, and I think it's a great idea, you barley see plastic bags flying about the streets anymore with wind ect. I also think it's great that 'some' shops put every 5p to a local charity. My opinion is that ALL shops should be putting their 5p's to a local charity. Just think of the difference it would make. It's never stopped me buying a bag. I know England are moaning just now bit I'm pretty sure lots of people in Scotland had a good moan about it too, there are lots of mixed reviews about it to be honest. I'm glad it's now carried through to England too as it just makes everyone the same. smile

AndDeepBreath Wed 14-Oct-15 17:48:42

Bloody hell, I lived in Wales when it was introduced and EVERYBODY MOANED LIKE FUCK.

This is England's turn. So stop with all the smug remarks.

Short memories eh.

BoiledOnions Wed 14-Oct-15 17:49:20

I'm in Wales. I don't remember there being such a fuss when we started paying for our bags. I've also noticed that Sainsburys have changed their self service tills with an announcement popping up reminding us that we need to pay for bags, but we've been paying for them for years.

There's never been any chaos.

HoneyDragon Wed 14-Oct-15 17:50:44

Are we being charged for plastic bags now?

squoosh Wed 14-Oct-15 17:51:10

Let people grumble if they want to grumble. No skin off my nose.

SlightlyAshamed1 Wed 14-Oct-15 17:51:31

Ooh, I get a chance to share the linky I found about making bags

wesens-art.blogspot.de/2015/09/part-2-recycling-upcycling-60-bags.html

You could make bags out of old curtains and duvet covers and sell them at car boot sales.

AlisonWunderland Wed 14-Oct-15 17:53:28

Until supermarket grocery packers in United States start putting more then 3 items in each plastic bag, and double bagging anything heavier than a litre of milk, it will make zero difference.
I can now use cupboard under sink which is no longer stuffed with bags

dementedpixie Wed 14-Oct-15 17:55:06

You are actually wrong. In scotland they had to security tag baskets in some of the stores as people were stealing them. I'm from Scotland btw

Spotifymuse Wed 14-Oct-15 18:12:29

Amen OP grin

saucony Wed 14-Oct-15 18:15:08

The only thing more boring that people whining about the plastic bag charges is the irritating as fuck moaners about the whiners!

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 14-Oct-15 18:27:21

Agreed OP. Ridiculous over reaction imo. When it came in in Scotland no one batted an eyelid.

SunshineAndShadows Wed 14-Oct-15 18:30:57

Whereabouts Dementedpixie? That completely passed me by (and I shop in a wide range of supermarkets)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now