To buy a Yale hoody?

(35 Posts)
dontrunwithscissors Wed 14-Oct-15 15:32:50

I'm visiting Yale uni at the moment--I'm doing research for work. WIBU to go buy a Yale hoody for cozy moments at home (I'm not really a hoody person outside the house)? Or are such things too naff to consider?

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 14-Oct-15 15:35:33

DH just bought a St Andrews one. I think it's naff if you didn't attend. You aren't going out of the house with it, though...

StormyBlue Wed 14-Oct-15 15:39:32

I don't think you could get away with an Oxford/Cambridge hoody in the UK, because then it looks like you're trying to genuinely fake it which is a bit twattish - but I think few enough people in this country have gone to Yale for you to get away with it being touristy.

Actually, if you're just going to wear it inside, I don't know what you're waiting for!

museumum Wed 14-Oct-15 15:42:34

If you're actually working at Yale then why not? But I wouldn't wear it out.

GenerationX2 Wed 14-Oct-15 15:42:53

Don't buy it if you plan to wear it outside - its a big no no in the US to wear college gear if you have not been there - I found this out the hard way.

ChipsandGuac Wed 14-Oct-15 15:43:26

I have my son's Uni emblazoned on the cosiest hoodie known to man. I only wear it at home or for an early morning supermarket run. So, yes. It's fine!

Leelu6 Wed 14-Oct-15 15:57:16

If anyone says anything, you could just say you're a total Yalie and love Yale keys.

claraschu Wed 14-Oct-15 16:02:38

I would assume that someone wearing an Oxford University shirt was a tourist and hadn't gone there. An Oxford student would wear his/her college scarf or rowing shirt or something at least half-way cool.

I think you should wear whatever you want.

squoosh Wed 14-Oct-15 16:03:52

It's a bit naff but do who is going to judge you for being a pretend Ivy Leaguer when you're tucking into your pad thai and watching X Factor?

If the pad thai delivery person challenges you just whoop 'kappa kappa gamma sisters forever' and then slam the door.

LumelaMme Wed 14-Oct-15 16:04:31

Yale as in the mythical animal, right? The spotty deer-thing with the swivelling horns?

Oh, the uni! No, of course, not, go for it. I have several similar. Very warm and cosy.

cashewnutty Wed 14-Oct-15 16:27:37

We 'collect' hoody's/t shirts from uni's in this house. We have them from Yale, Harvard, Georgetown, McGill, Brown (and possibly others i can't recall). Strangely we live in a uni town and don't have one from here as it would seem weird! My McGill one is the cosiest thing ever and great for slobbing about in.

BoiledOnions Wed 14-Oct-15 16:36:43

I used to have a Harvard one. I didn't attend Harvard, my parents just bought me one when they visited the Universty. And yes, I wore it all the time.

SistersOfPercy Wed 14-Oct-15 16:41:51

I have a huge UCLA one which is so thick and comfy I could live in it. I've also got a couple of Wolves Uni ones which aren't so exotic but I did actually attend there blush

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 14-Oct-15 16:52:47

I think you're under an obligation to buy one. Then when people say 'Oh, did you go to Yale?' you can say in a cod Russian accent 'Oh yes, I yust got out last week.'

(Thank you Scott Adams)

dontrunwithscissors Wed 14-Oct-15 16:59:33

grin It seems the norm in the US for students to walk about with university branded hoodies all the time. It's like a uniform. I would never do that in the UK....after I'd graduated, but not as a student.

I have a tradition of bringing back mugs from every uni I visit. I'm now stuck with a huge collection, but feel obliged to keep going. The Yale ones are a bit naff, though.

catfordbetty Wed 14-Oct-15 17:00:18

I vote naff.

R0nJ0n Wed 14-Oct-15 17:02:24

I have a university of Wisconsin hoodie, and I mean this as no disrespect to the uni or its alumni, but it's not an Ivy League place so I don't feel at all braggy wearing it. I bought it because I underestimated how cold Wisconsin is and needed a hoodie, and I liked the cartoon badger on the front.

I'd a actually quite like a Yale one to snuggle up in and watch my Gilmore Girls box set for the umpteenth time (Rory attended Yale in the later episodes). I say get it if you like it.

squoosh Wed 14-Oct-15 17:03:41

If you're looking to pick up a Yale memento OP, what about a preppy millionaire?

DinoSnores Wed 14-Oct-15 17:08:18

"I don't think you could get away with an Oxford/Cambridge hoody in the UK, because then it looks like you're trying to genuinely fake it"

They are only bought by tourists/non-Oxbridge students around here.

I think you are fine to buy one, whether to wear indoors or out.

mannequinonthemove Wed 14-Oct-15 17:12:34

Get a KALE one like Beyonce instead I reckon

madwomanbackintheattic Wed 14-Oct-15 17:13:09

dd1 went off to a conference last month and came back with a Harvard one. It's the closest she's ever going to get, as I'm not paying for her to study there...
I vote yes.

SistersOfPercy Wed 14-Oct-15 17:15:59

I was in London the other week and decided to have a walk with DH through the touristy bits. Never seen so many Oxford/Cambridge hoodies in one place!

ChipsandGuac Wed 14-Oct-15 17:32:54

R0nJ0n It may not be an Ivy, but U of Wisconsin, Madison is one of the highest ranked Public colleges in the entire of the US so I think you're good to go with your hoodie. ??

ChipsandGuac Wed 14-Oct-15 17:33:16

That should be ??

ChipsandGuac Wed 14-Oct-15 17:33:33

Arrrrgghhh! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now