To find it irritating...

(15 Posts)
Needearplugs Thu 24-Sep-15 18:27:19

When Dh plays (loudly) his musical instrument that he is learning to play. I wouldn't complain if it was a nice instrument with a nice sound but its not and its so annoying sometimes. He is not bad at it but unfortunately i detest the sound and the genre of music too! Yes iabu I know. Would he have to tolerate it if I took up opera singing and practised it (loudly) several times a day?
And no, I'm not going to say what it is, it will give me away!

biscuitkumquat Thu 24-Sep-15 18:45:30

No, you are definitely not BU.

My DC took up the recorder in L2. Luckily it only lasted for 2 months.

We still refer to recorder-gate in our house.

Could you sing along?

KurriKurri Thu 24-Sep-15 18:46:00

It's bagpipes isn't it?

YAB a bit U - he;s got to practise poor chap, and yes he would have to tolerate it if you took up opera singing. But he could maybe confine his practise to a set period of time each day - so you could plan to go out for a walk or wear headphones grin

JeffsanArsehole Thu 24-Sep-15 18:48:41

You don't have to 'tolerate' it, you go out, watch TV with earplugs, smile supportively while mainlining West Wing with headphones etc

LavenderRain Thu 24-Sep-15 18:49:49

My DD played the Double Bass at school, what a bloody noise that was. Made my ears bleed grin

In the school holidays she had to keep the thing in her bedroom.
We bought a different car to fit the damn thing in the boot!

I feel your pain OP, it sounded like the cat had his testicles stuck in a mangle confused

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 24-Sep-15 18:58:27

There are two trombones, a clari and a uke in my house. You eventually learn to tune it out, I promise!

Needearplugs Fri 25-Sep-15 11:01:45

He takes a bit personally, like I'm not being supportive of his new hobby. It's just quite loud and intrusive in our tiny house. There's nowhere to escape it. It's not like I can sit there with headphones in and ignore my 2 DC.

WorzelsCornyBrows Fri 25-Sep-15 11:03:32

I'm guessing saxophone. There's no way of making them sound good when you're just starting to learn to play and it's so fecking loud!

Keeptrudging Fri 25-Sep-15 11:10:00

My DD plays flute, much to my relief. It's hardly ever awful, I enjoy listening to it. Violin was on my list of instruments which were 'unsuitable' for her grin. I had to learn violin as a child - I didn't even like my own playing!

Needearplugs Fri 25-Sep-15 11:14:58

No its not the saxophone, maybe I should count my blessings! He is fairly good and I have told him that. I just feel like a real bitch to find it annoying.

CrapBag Fri 25-Sep-15 11:17:52

My old neighbour played some sort of trombone, cello and trumpet type instruments. It used to drive me up the wall because it was a very small terraced house and they would always start bang on when I had just got the DCs up to bed and had sat down. DS used to complain that he couldn't get to sleep and they would sometimes go on until 9pm so you have my sympathy being stuck in the same house as it!

YANBU, listening to other people practice an instrument is incredibly annoying!

Needearplugs Fri 25-Sep-15 11:32:43

Thanks CrapBag its nice to know I'm not the only one. It often the timing of too that grates on me. For example if we are getting ready to go out with the kids, I'll be rushing about getting things ready last minute and he'll be sat by the door with his shoes on knocking out a couple of 'tunes'. It makes me want to shove the offending instrument up his a*se!! God I'm a cow!

grumpysquash Fri 25-Sep-15 13:04:18

We have a flute (not too bad), a violin, a trombone, a baritone and a cornet (all on the scale of bad to dreadful). About to look after a piano for a friend.
However I find DHs choice of music actually worse sad

5Foot5 Fri 25-Sep-15 13:12:50

I thought bagpipes too! grin

I have to say YABU - but then I play the trombone and DH the saxophone and we manage to rub along OK.

ThereIsIron Fri 25-Sep-15 13:15:42

Is it a theremin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now