AIBU to think nursery are taking the proverbial

(21 Posts)
DaddyDr Wed 16-Sep-15 10:10:07

Our son spends two days a week at nursery, which he loves and has been there since 6 months old, he's now 2 and half. In January we are expecting child number 2. So plan on putting son 1 on to three days a week and at 6 months child two will start 1 day a week, eventually moving in to 2 then 3 as well.

Now with the new free nursery coming in, we should get 30 free hours a week. But because of the pricing structure we'll only get 18. As the nursery (big chain) will spread the hours over 5 days, with 3 free hours in the morning, and 3 free hours in the evening on each day. So with him only going three days and having to stay the whole day, it works out we only get 18 hours free.

We both think its taking the p1ss. If a child spends 33 hours a week at nursery, regardless the days, then you should only pay for 3 surly. But they say that's how they are doing it and also say many others are doing the same. This just ain't right surly.

So AIBU in saying sod that, and start to look fir another nursery that will take him and also his brother/sister when she gets to 6 months. We want the to go to the same place ni matter what.

MakeItACider Wed 16-Sep-15 10:24:04

They are doing it that way because of the very low rates the LA pays them for the free hours. I was on the committee forma community nursery which gives the full free hours and we had to do a LOT of fundraising to ensure the nursery could continue operating.

whippy33 Wed 16-Sep-15 10:34:11

The nursery are offering 30 hours free but you are not using you entitlement and that is your choice. They decide when those sessions are to be offered in line with their funding. When your child reaches school age the minimum free education is 21 hours in KS1??would you dictate when that is delivered or would you send your child to school within the set hours and use wrap around care if needed? If so why is a nursery any different?

DoJo Wed 16-Sep-15 10:36:25

Is he only in nursery term time or is he there all year? Because I believe that the provision is only for 38 weeks a year, so I know that many full time nurseries spread the allocation of hours over the week so that the bills are consistent rather than being charged full whack for 14 weeks a year.

Purplepoodle Wed 16-Sep-15 10:38:20

Sadly the government are not giving enough money to cover these free hours at daycare fees - it's a standard rate

VeryPunny Wed 16-Sep-15 10:39:39

Good luck finding a half decent nursery that will offer 30 hours totally free. Good quality childcare costs and the LA funding is nowhere near adequate. I wouldn't move my child just for cheaper childcare. You'll still be getting more hours free than previously.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 16-Sep-15 10:40:20

That is standard practice - if you go to a council nursery you will be offered the standard sessions and if they do wrap-around care, then you pay for that at the set price - if you choose not to use all the available offered sessions then that's bot their problem.

The example given of the school is the same. you can't choose not to send your child to school on Friday in the expectation that you get after school care for free since you haven't used up your full entitlement of hours.

Mine are only 15 and 14, but in my day you got no support for private care at all.

The nursery are not being unreasonable - they are offering a service that you can't usually get in a council nursery and therefore you need to pay for that.

blueandgreendots Wed 16-Sep-15 10:43:55

DD is in full time nursery and turns 3 this week. Her nursery told me that the council pay the free hours for 40 children which is spread out amongst over 60. I'm not expecting much of a reduction in my fee because of this. I get the impression that very few people receive the full promised entitlement.

LittleBearPad Wed 16-Sep-15 10:45:59

Funding is only for term time so it isn't 30 hours for 52 weeks a year but 38.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 16-Sep-15 10:48:16

It is understandable that they are doing it this way as they get circa £3ph from the government. You could always send him two additional mornings the free hours only?

WhoTheFIsJeff Wed 16-Sep-15 10:48:45

Funding is only school hours term time.

museumum Wed 16-Sep-15 10:52:00

I feel sorry for nurseries which are receiving far below want it costs for those hours.

As somebody already using nursery for childcare reasons i'll take any reduction offered and not quibble - particularly as i'm very happy with my nursery.

If i was a sahp who wanted to use the 'free' hours only for early years education then i'd have to accept that they are offered as nursery 'sessions' in the morning and afternoon and don't cover social times like lunch and are not actually childcare as such.

Cockbollocks Wed 16-Sep-15 10:53:18

This is normal. The government should really advertise it as a £ per week voucher so you can put it towards the cost.

It is quite misleading.

MonkeyPJs Wed 16-Sep-15 10:58:01

This is normal - at my DS's nursery we have to book him in 7.30 - 5.30 and you are only allowed 6 free hours per day, so we still pay.

Not sure about your area, but where I am you'd also struggle to find a nursery that would take a child for only one day a week - they all seem to be for a minimum of 2 days.

LoveAnchor Wed 16-Sep-15 10:59:32

I wouldn't look for other nurseries if this is your only problem, no. If kids are happy in this one, I would consider myself lucky and suck up the fees (if you can), or alternatively rethink the whole childcare arrangement if you can't afford it. Childcare in the early years is very expensive and sometimes not worth it.

DaddyDr Wed 16-Sep-15 10:59:37

Well that told me. Ha ha. I didn't realise it was so wide spread. I thought is was just them taking the mick. Guess he'll be staying for a while yet.

LoveAnchor Wed 16-Sep-15 11:00:33

And yes, this is the norm.

MonkeyPJs Wed 16-Sep-15 11:04:18

If it helps, I remember thinking the same before I realised it was normal!

sleepyhead Wed 16-Sep-15 11:06:18

Yes. It's because the hours are for early years education, not for childcare.

It gives me the rage every time someone from any political party (because they all do it) drones on about the free childcare hours for working parents.

Round here the council say that there are enough council nursery places to fill their requirement to offer the hours - these are not accessible to most working parents because they don't offer wrap around care. Tough shit says the council.

When ds2 turns three we will get a small reduction on our nursery bill, but like blueandgreendots, the council only fund a very limited number of places at our nursery so it won't be anything like the hours we should get. There is no guarantee that they won't cut it again and we'll get zero.

DisappointedOne Wed 16-Sep-15 11:21:11

We have the opposite problem in this area: school is seen as childcare rather than education.

DaddyDr Wed 16-Sep-15 11:22:19

Thankfully its not the cost that's the problem. We're fortunate (and hard working enough) to not have it hit us TO hard. Its more the principle that I don't like. But now its been explained better I get it. We do have one very small nursery near us that does offer the free hours when you want them, then you pay for any extra. But it is very small, and we think our son will get bored there very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now