To think it's hard to get a job these days

(48 Posts)
Todaysrollercoaster Sat 12-Sep-15 13:57:37

Or is it still easy?

I was a student in the mid-00s. Could always find casual work easily enough. Relative is now looking and can't find anything.

AIBU to think it's a lot harder to get a job now?

TenForward82 Sat 12-Sep-15 14:10:40

How old is the relative? I find younger people have trouble.

Pidapie Sat 12-Sep-15 14:30:40

I'm struggling, I'm 27 and have a bachelor degree. I struggle to find any work, as I'm "overqualified" to some, and don't have enough experience for others. I was offered a job as data entry, but the wage was so low I couldn't afford to pay for child care, so I had to turn it down. It's a nightmare.

CookieMonsterIsOnADiet Sat 12-Sep-15 15:16:29

It depends on if you are picky.

Some people expect high paying low hours jobs with little or no work experience, others dont want to work weekends or outside school hours.

If flexible, then its relatively easy. Several have moved on where I work in the last few months so jobs are there.

arethereanyleftatall Sat 12-Sep-15 15:25:41

It must depend on where you live. I technically gave up work a few years ago to be a sahm. Since then I've walked in to about 4 different concurrent jobs (they've all been temporary for my own reasons) with no effort. There is no way anyone who lives near me should be unemployed (Hertfordshire).

EponasWildDaughter Sat 12-Sep-15 16:32:27

Regarding casual (but full time), basic pay sort of work:

2 of my teen DDs have walked in and out of 5 jobs between them in the last 6 months or so. (The walking out each time was to go on to the next job - better pay and/or better terms and conditions. They're both settled now smile In the same place actually)

EponasWildDaughter Sat 12-Sep-15 16:33:11

Oh, Warwickshire.

VimFuego101 Sat 12-Sep-15 16:33:47

I agree it's more difficult. When I was a teenager (nearly 20 years ago) there was always work available, and I never had any issue finding a job. Nowadays there's a lot more competition - plus zero hour contracts make it a lot harder for people to manage childcare around shifts and commit to paying for it when they may not even end up working.

Hoppipolar Sat 12-Sep-15 16:44:48

I think there's always something though. You need to be willing to do anything.

sproketmx Sat 12-Sep-15 16:55:44

I don't find it any harder really myself but I find the process to get to an interview a pain in the hoop. What's with all this psychometric testing multiple choice pish, building houses of cards and making balloon animals to work in asda? What happened to just sitting down with the manager and having a feckin interview?

pizzaeatingmonkey Sat 12-Sep-15 17:42:52

I'm finding it dreadfully hard: I've been out of work since March and just want a part time job in either retail or catering.
I have masses of experience but can't seem to find anything. Jobcentre Plus says my CV is great and don't have an answer to why I can't get a job.
I have an answer: I'm 57!

LunchpackOfNotreDame Sat 12-Sep-15 17:50:14

There are loads of jobs to be had if you're not picky and don't see anything as beneath you

Sunsoo Sat 12-Sep-15 17:52:46

Entry-level and NMW jobs are much harder to come by these days.

However, the skilled sector is mainly doing well.

littledrummergirl Sat 12-Sep-15 17:52:53

Dh lost a job in the worst pos circumstances, was working again one month later.
Yabu

NotInTheNuddy Sat 12-Sep-15 18:11:06

I agree with location playing a huge part. I had to leave my last job for reasons I won't disclose. I handed my notice in on the Friday, had two interviews on the Monday and was offered both jobs. But I live in a very affluent town in the south west so I do appreciate things are different in other parts of the UK.

Cornettoninja Sat 12-Sep-15 18:22:43

Seeing yourself as 'above' certain positions isn't always the problem as pointed out with the asda example. A lot of low level jobs with larger corporations are bloody hard to get a foot in the door with. I think it's tesco who do an online questionnaire analysis and if you fail you can't reapply for so many months. That's not taking into account the more people with the ability to do a job the fiercer the competition.

My last two jobs have come from temping. It works best for me as I interview terribly (nerves) but can always prove myself in a work environment. Never had a temp assignment that I wasn't offered a job from. I'm not particularly skilled and work at a level somewhere just below the national average salary.

MsTargaryen Sat 12-Sep-15 18:23:46

Depends on location for sure. No jobs here even for people who aren't picky. Every job ad here asks for flexible people, weekends and evenings, nighttime hours. If you have children and no partner or family for childcare, you can't work.

HelenaDove Sat 12-Sep-15 18:34:52

The asda example is ridiculous. As is the one where you cant re apply for many months. No wonder there is a thread on here where posters are discussing considering webcam work.

TheClacksAreDown Sat 12-Sep-15 18:52:06

If you're hard working, willing, no criminal record and flexible on hours/work/location then I dont think it is that hard in London to find a nmw job

But many such jobs require a very high degree of flexibility on hours both number and timing which is not necessarily workable if you have other responsibilities.

DrCoconut Sat 12-Sep-15 18:56:46

DH is out of work and really struggling to get anything. He doesn't think he's above any job but can't seem to get even NMW work. He spent 2 years at college retraining as his old industry was going down the pan and is now starting to wonder if he will actually get the new start he'd hoped for.

LarrytheCucumber Sat 12-Sep-15 19:03:14

DS applied for a Health Care Assistant job where they had 300 applicants and looked at 200 CVs. I'm guessing some of these people were applying for it because they have to apply for X number of jobs a week to keep their benefits, but imagine sifting through all those applications. And presumably a lot of them really did want the job.
It is true that the fewer qualifications you need for a job the harder it will be to get it, because there are likely to be more applicants.
DD works for her local Council and says there are always vacancies, but not everyone wants an admin job.

Chewbecca Sat 12-Sep-15 19:05:14

There seem to be a lot of low paying jobs round here (Essex) in the local shops/bars/restaurants and late teen children of friends don't seem to have much trouble getting jobs.

errorofjudgement Sat 12-Sep-15 19:07:00

The whole interview process seems to be an industry in its own right.
My DS graduated in the summer and applied for engineering graduate roles.
After getting through the online tests and telephone interviews, he was invited to a full day selection process for a national organisation, during the entire day of written tests, group work and interviews, he was never interviewed by an actual engineer!

OublietteBravo Sat 12-Sep-15 19:11:35

If you have qualifications and experience I think it is relatively easy to find a job.

There are plenty of shops/caf??s/bars advertising for staff round here . However, I think it is tough for new graduates - the ibex I know are mostly temping and desperately applying for graduate schemes.

OublietteBravo Sat 12-Sep-15 19:13:07

WTF? ones (not ibex - I do not know any ibexes - unemployed or otherwise).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now